GDT: Wild on the way to Devils

Chimaira_Devil_#9

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny thing is if the Devils had gone 4-0 in shootouts instead of 1-3, they’d be 11-5-1.  And we’d probably be making them sound like they’re much better than they are.

And that’s what I’ve really come to hate about shootouts…how it can distort a team’s record a bit, due to some random skills competition that no GM is ever taking into account when he’s building his team.  I can live with ties.  

Funny thing is most people don't whine as much about them either when we win lol 

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Funny thing is most people don't whine as much about them either when we win lol 

doesn’t mean people start liking them when we win them.

it would be like baseball games ending in a home run derby.

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

doesn’t mean people start liking them when we win them.

it would be like baseball games ending in a home run derby.

I hate them no matter what. Teams are getting an extra point for doing something only tangentially related to hockey. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

3-on-3 for 10 minutes and if by some miracle nobody scores, it’s a tie. easy

It feels like the teams would get so tired, it would rarely if ever end in a tie. I support this idea. 

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It feels like the teams would get so tired, it would rarely if ever end in a tie. I support this idea. 

It would also force teams to have to use more of the their bench, creating some mismatches which would also lead to games ending before a tie. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Hot take: I don't think an overtime loss deserves any points

The problem was that teams were getting to the point where they didn’t want to risk losing a point in OT, so they were playing ultra-conservatively…both teams playing not to lose.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Agreed. A team should only get one point if you have a system where the game can end in a tie. 

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

If a game ends 60 minutes later with the score tied, you don't deserve 0 points. 3-point system makes too much sense, but you'd really have to change your OT format for that to work. If I were made commissioner it would be easy. 3 points regulation win. 2 points OT win. 1 point OT loss. 1 point tie. Overtime is 10 minutes 3v3, game ends in a tie if nobody scores. 

Use the shootout in every stadium's second intermission, mascot versus fan. Keep that, juggling, interpretive dancing, and all the other fvcking sideshows out of the actual hockey game. 

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If a game ends 60 minutes later with the score tied, you don't deserve 0 points. 

The converse argument is, if you lose the game you don’t deserve a point.