Jump to content

GDT: Flyers vs. Devils 7pm MSG+


nessus
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I know Johnsson had 4 points but I almost think Hamilton should be 1st star. Man was he good tonight. 

Totally agree, he looked like the best player on the ice by a significant margin tonight.

Happy with the win, but I just need to say: that powerplay is just atrocious. It's almost as if Recchi is telling them to make the pass with the lowest possibility of completing. The poor zone entries are killing us, and it seems too often that they don't ever gain control in the zone. Didn't end up mattering much for this game, but this will continue to be a problem for the team for the foreseeable future.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

He had 3 years to "click". Then so many things can happen. Players can get injured or move up or down the lineup. We're not a "PK Subban away" from winning the cup. Let's keep rebuilding and trying to make the future better. The "win now" approach when your actual chances are so damn slim is precisely why we got to that point. More picks means more potential moves to make the team better.

Here's where I'm with you:

I'm not interested in the Devils making an obvious "Right Now, Push All Of Our Chips To The Middle" move that will cost them any key young assets this season.

I'm open to the idea of the Devils making a deal for a relatively young guy with prime years left who's under contract for a while (3+ years), even if THAT particular deal might cost a young prospect and other pieces...basically, a deal that sure, could help the 2021-22 team, but also teams beyond that.

If you tell me there's a team willing to overpay for a guy like PK, I'm definitely listening.

 

I don't think dealing PK for a third or fourth-rounder really makes much of a difference in the long run though (they already have three fourth-rounders in the upcoming draft, and currently have all of their picks...sure, nice to have more, but not like they have a shortage of picks at the moment).  If this team is in the thick of a wild-card hunt, I'd rather that they at least try...like I said, not saying that I would want Fitz going crazy at the deadline adding a bunch of right-now rental pieces at the expense of the future, but I don't necessarily want him bailing on the present either.  Not every playoff run has to be Cup-or-bust...I think a lot of these kids could benefit from a "first time" playoff appearance, something to build off.  And as you know I'm most definitely NOT a PK guy, but not so sure that there's guys in Utica ready to move right up to take his place this year...even as maddening as he can often be.

Of course, it's fair to say that it's too early to make this call now...if the Devils fall out of playoff relevance, then yeah, by all means, do some selling.  Fitz has done well with that.      

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There really was nothing to knock about claiming him.  But some chose to for whatever the reasons.

No one was knocking us for claiming him.  The issue was the fans overreacting/excitement to claim a 4th liner.

I was happy that we got him back as it means Geertsen gets pushed further down the depth chart (though it looks like it didn't last night).  However, I am not (and really nobody should) be at the "Friedman has never gotten so many DM's about a person on waivers before" excitement that Devils fans had for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

No one was knocking us for claiming him.  The issue was the fans overreacting/excitement to claim a 4th liner.

I was happy that we got him back as it means Geertsen gets pushed further down the depth chart (though it looks like it didn't last night).  However, I am not (and really nobody should) be at the "Friedman has never gotten so many DM's about a person on waivers before" excitement that Devils fans had for this.

The bolded is what I meant...I simply didn't think it was necessary for anyone to knock that portion of the fanbase who were especially excited about Bastian coming back...just not that big of a deal.  But yeah, as a simple hockey move, was a no-brainer, for reasons previously discussed.  

And yeah, not gonna lie, part of me was thinking why was Geersten in last night?  If he's limited to token appearances where he's put into the lineup to fight (and lose), guess I can live with it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded is what I meant...I simply didn't think it was necessary for anyone to knock that portion of the fanbase who were especially excited about Bastian coming back...just not that big of a deal.  But yeah, as a simple hockey move, was a no-brainer, for reasons previously discussed.  

They weren't excited because it improves the team, they were excited because of the whole Superbuddies thing and because he was well liked. It was a feel-good story. 

That said, he scored more goals than everyone on the team not named Johnsson, Bratt or Hamilton last night. 

Side note, ever see Bastian's draft day picture? I think he looked younger than Hughes did, and that's not easy. 

Bastian.webp

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy crap shave the sides of his head and give him and AC DC shirt, and he's getting dangerous close to Butthead territory...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

No one was knocking us for claiming him.  The issue was the fans overreacting/excitement to claim a 4th liner.

I was happy that we got him back as it means Geertsen gets pushed further down the depth chart (though it looks like it didn't last night).  However, I am not (and really nobody should) be at the "Friedman has never gotten so many DM's about a person on waivers before" excitement that Devils fans had for this.

If Jack is set to return soon then I don't think we'll see much more of him for the time being. Had Holtz been more ready he'd already be pushed out.

Boqvist is what he is, but he was making some moves out there in the last couple games he got. I'd still like Studenic to get more than 3 games in a row.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If Jack is set to return soon then I don't think we'll see much more of him for the time being. Had Holtz been more ready he'd already be pushed out.

Boqvist is what he is, but he was making some moves out there in the last couple games he got. I'd still like Studenic to get more than 3 games in a row.

I don't think having Jack back will push Geertsen any more.  The coaches might feel that some games need more muscle and throw him in there even though he is at best meh as an enforcer.

If anything, Jack coming back means either Hischier or Mercer gets pushed down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't think having Jack back will push Geertsen any more.  The coaches might feel that some games need more muscle and throw him in there even though he is at best meh as an enforcer.

If anything, Jack coming back means either Hischier or Mercer gets pushed down.

Well Jack coming back means one less spot in the lineup. I suppose at the moment, Sharangovich or Tatar could sit if you needed Geertsen's supposed muscle (which so far has translated to "ability to get punched in the face a lot") in the lineup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.