GDT: Devils vs. Sharks 7 pm 11/30

nessus

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First game back, not going to get on him.

What I was watching most with him was his stick handling with that shoulder. And it looked fine, so that’s good.

BTW I liked that little speedometer feature ESPN had showing him carrying the puck into the zone (at 21 MPH). Pretty cool. 

• Like 1

In before we call Jack overpaid!! 

Oh well, young teams are gonna have these games. Tough to be too upset after they had a good game Sunday and battled back in this one in the 3rd. The Devils teams of years back would have packed it in after the 2nd. 

At some point the bottom 6 are gonna have to pitch in a bit 

• Confused 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Oh well, young teams are gonna have these games. Tough to be too upset after they had a good game Sunday and battled back in this one in the 3rd. The Devils teams of years back would have packed it in after the 2nd. 

But Something - - something - cheeze its!

29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

No quit in them at least. Slept walked through the 2nd, but they’ve outplayed SJ the other 2 periods. 

27 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

That and a box of stale Cheez-Its will get you a box of stale Cheez-Its

1 minute ago, lazer said:

gary coleman wtf GIF

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You’re not wrong, but at the same time, it doesn’t seem like the coaching staff is much of a help to these kids.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

This one was over after 40 mins, so yeah Cheez-Its all around courtesy of CF. I thought we were past setting the bar at well at least we didn't quit.  I doubt and would hope Ruff doesn't take much comfort in the garbage time goals.  

Despite what fans think I seriously doubt coaches truly just “burn the tape.” There’s nothing wrong with focusing in on some positives. They played 2 really good periods of hockey. SJ just happened to capitalize on every single mistake in the 2nd. 

One of those frustrating losses that makes me want to go down the doom and gloom rabbit hole, but the reality is the Devils outplayed the Sharks for 2 of the periods. Tatar had a few shifts where he was playing with some urgency. Jack started shaking off the rust pretty quickly. The Mercer line had their chances. It really was a few major mess ups that cost this game, not so much being consistently dominated. That's what's encouraging. At least we are undefeated in 3rd periods for the last few games.

I hate to say this, but I'm really starting to want to see more from Nico. He hasn't been bad, but I had much higher hopes for him, especially this season. To me, he has looked much better in the past.

47 minutes ago, nessus said:

I hate to say this, but I'm really starting to want to see more from Nico. He hasn't been bad, but I had much higher hopes for him, especially this season. To me, he has looked much better in the past.

You’d definitely like to see him step it up a bit now that Jack’s back, and will likely be drawing a lot of the tougher matchups. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nessus said:

One of those frustrating losses that makes me want to go down the doom and gloom rabbit hole, but the reality is the Devils outplayed the Sharks for 2 of the periods. Tatar had a few shifts where he was playing with some urgency. Jack started shaking off the rust pretty quickly. The Mercer line had their chances. It really was a few major mess ups that cost this game, not so much being consistently dominated. That's what's encouraging. At least we are undefeated in 3rd periods for the last few games.

Nico needs to shoot more. Plain and simple. And his skating..he just seems like he has cinder blocks attached to his skates this year. Prior years he seemed alot faster and quicker.

I think he’s made the mistake of accepting this mentality of not needing to take games over. Hoping he gets his mojo back soon.

10 hours ago, nessus said:

Nico looks like he's going to be a REALLY good 3C at this point (and a guy who can play in just about any situation without hurting you).  And of course he can absolutely fill in as a 1C or 2C.  But it feels like Jack and Dawson will ultimately provide more offense and be more dynamic.  

And you and DD56 are pretty much right on about your takes on this game (easy to get aggravated in the moment, especially when 2-0 becomes 4-0 in an eyeblink), but the "young team" defense is going to start to wear a little thin by the end of this season.  There's technically "young" players who have been here for a while now...it's not like it's a team chock full of rookies.  As far as patience goes, I think we'll need it with Jack (just missed about a 1/5th of the season), Dawson (looked great obviously but a rookie), Smith, and Mac...but most of the rest should be on their way at this point.  And that's what makes me wonder if this coaching staff will be the one to lead them to the next levels.  I'm not sure about Ruff but I can't say I'm done with him yet.  Recchi and nASS just need to be gone...no one has shown any progress with what those two have been tasked with.  I'm all about players being held accountable, but at some point, coaches need to be too.  Those two bring absolutely nothing to the table.    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico looks like he's going to be a REALLY good 3C at this point (and a guy who can play in just about any situation without hurting you).  And of course he can absolutely fill in as a 1C or 2C.  But it feels like Jack and Dawson will ultimately provide more offense and be more dynamic.  

I'm starting to feel he will not live up to his contract. I hope I am wrong. 

So last night the team outplayed the Sharks for a majority of it, but a bunch of stupid errors by the D and Blackwood being up and down in the game turning it into a pretty miserable game.

I am not sure what the reason is why Kuokkanen keeps sticking into the lineup.  The only time he seems to play well is with Hughes as his center, otherwise he is invisible.

Smith was just awful.  I don't know what is going on with him.  Maybe he needs to put down the video game controller or something.

What is with this coaching staff and making the worse coaching challenges?

Mercer line looked great again, was easily our best one.

The "It felt like a dream" line was a combined -7 with Bastian a -2 in a little over 10 min of ice time (fewest on the team).

Jack did well for his first game back.  He looked rusty but he got better as the game went on.  He also did much better when he was moved off Nico's wing and back to center.

Which brings me to Nico.  We were all bitching and moaning about Zajac getting paid almost $6M a year for being a glorified 3C and now we have Nico making $7M a year for being our current 3C.  He doesn't seem to do anything particularly great and he doesn't seem to make his linemates better no matter what the stat nerd charts/cloud graphs are saying.  Not only that, but I don't really see where his leadership comes in.  I know and still believe that leadership is something that is overblown, but it does matter at least somewhat.  After the game Jack's comments were more of what needed to be said/heard than anything Nico said.  I am slowly wondering if it was really a mistake to give Nico the C so early.

Re:  Travis, part of that was having already lost Kovy and Zach, not wanting to lose another guy who'd been productive previously, and hoping that Zajac could flirt with 60+ points again.  Of course, that didn't happen.  

Re:  Nico, Zajac's almost $6 million at the time that he signed his deal doesn't quite equate to Nico's $7 million, but yeah, if this is his top end, it's kinda disappointing for a 1OA.  In a way, I consider Dawson a potential "make-up" pick, in that if he and Jack can become the dynamic 1C-2C punch that we think they can, having Nico be merely solid won't hurt as much.       

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am slowly wondering if it was really a mistake to give Nico the C so early.

How long into a relationship before its time to give the C?

:) 

My current feeling, which I expressed in part yesterday, is that if Jack reaches his potential, and Mercer maintains his current course, Nico becomes superfluous and will likely be used to assist the team in obtaining some sniper type wings for Jack and Dawson. 

Hmm, Jack, Dawson, Jack Dawson. Like Titanic. That makes Nico Billy Zane. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My current feeling, which I expressed in part yesterday, is that if Jack reaches his potential, and Mercer maintains his current course, Nico becomes superfluous and will likely be used to assist the team in obtaining some sniper type wings for Jack and Dawson. 

I am fine with that.  I mean I was willing to give up Nico for a guy like Laine this offseason.

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Nah, I'd say more Fabrizio.