GDT: Devils vs. Sharks 7 pm 11/30

nessus

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nah, I'd say more Fabrizio.  

Hands down the worst portrayal of an Italian person in movie history. He might as well have been yelling "It-za me, Mario!" while running through the boat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hands down the worst portrayal of an Italian person in movie history. He might as well have been yelling "It-za me, Mario!" while running through the boat. 

For some reason this really made me laugh my ass off.  Mostly because it’s so damned accurate.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For some reason this really made me laugh my ass off.  Mostly because it’s so damned accurate.  

It’s one of the most unintentionally funny movies I have ever seen. Even when Jack dies at the end, it’s hysterical that they never even tried to get him onto the piece of debris that Rose was on despite there having been plenty of room. If that were me on the debris, we both would have died trying, and that’s no matter who it was, let alone someone I supposedly loved. 

That, plus everything Billy Zane says in the entire movie is a funny quotable moment.  Or even Jack’s reaction when they discover the boat hit an iceberg. He looks at the ice all over the deck of the ship and says “This is baaad”. I laugh every time. 

Only thing not funny was a young Kate Winslet’s boobs. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s one of the most unintentionally funny movies I have ever seen. Even when Jack dies at the end, it’s hysterical that they never even tried to get him onto the piece of debris that Rose was on despite there having been plenty of room. If that were me on the debris, we both would have died trying, and that’s no matter who it was, let alone someone I supposedly loved. 

I always considered that part a WTF moment too, heh heh...poor scrawny lil' Leonardo had what, a 28" waist, and that's probably AFTER a seven course meal?  Kate couldn't move her chunky ass over just a little to squeeze him on?  The wood was going to stay afloat no matter how many attempts they made...how many tries did they actually manage?  Two, maybe?!

Kate doesn't look back on that role fondly...feels that her American accent was terrible (she needed tons of work with a speech coach to learn it...I didn't find it all that bad, really), and that she just didn't think she was very good in it.   

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I always considered that part a WTF moment too, heh heh...poor scrawny lil' Leonardo had what, a 28" waist, and that's probably AFTER a seven course meal?  Kate couldn't move her chunky ass over just a little to squeeze him on?  The wood was going to stay afloat no matter how many attempts they made...how many tries did they actually manage?  Two, maybe?!

Kate doesn't look back on that role fondly...feels that her American accent was terrible (she needed tons of work with a speech coach to learn it...I didn't find it all that bad, really), and that she just didn't think she was very good in it.   

Her accent was very forced but it came across more so as "I'm a society girl trying to speak properly" than "I am a Brit pretending to be American", in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Her accent was very forced but it came across more so as "I'm a society girl trying to speak properly" than "I am a Brit pretending to be American", in my opinion. 

Agreed...though most Brits and Aussies actors and actresses can nail an American accent very passably (to the point where you're stunned when you hear them interviewed and they sound NOTHING like the American characters they portray), I've definitely seen examples where you can start to hear native accents creep in some (Naomi Watts in The Ring, Catherine Zeta-Jones in The Haunting, among others)...usually in more "heated" moments.

Not sure if you've watched Yellowstone, but Kelly Reilly (plays Beth Dutton) couldn't sound less like her character in real life.  Ditto Nicholas Pinnock from For Life (ran two seasons).  What's funny is that Brits, Aussies (and Irish people for that matter) often so easily pull off American accents (even regional ones), but when Americans try to go the other way, the results are often very mixed...see Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own.     

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure if you've watched Yellowstone, but Kelly Reilly (plays Beth Dutton) couldn't sound less like her character in real life.  

Every minute of it and Beth is probably my favorite character in any TV show right now. So over the top dramatic that it could never be a real person, but entertainment wise, absolutely perfect. 

I've never heard her actual voice and to be honest, I am not sure I knew (or remembered) she wasn't American, so she does a good job. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Recchi and nASS just need to be gone...no one has shown any progress with what those two have been tasked with.  I'm all about players being held accountable, but at some point, coaches need to be too.  Those two bring absolutely nothing to the table.    

The body of work ain't great, but the penalty killing is better and Siegenthaler's steady play is a nice surprise. 

With Jack back, the PP has to get better, I mean .... right? I sure hope so.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Every minute of it and Beth is probably my favorite character in any TV show right now. So over the top dramatic that it could never be a real person, but entertainment wise, absolutely perfect. 

I've never heard her actual voice and to be honest, I am not sure I knew (or remembered) she wasn't American, so she does a good job. 

She's VERY British.  You would never know she played Beth Dutton, if you only heard voices.  Don't know if you ever watched True Blood, but Stephen Moyer is very much the same way.  

Her character can definitely be incredibly annoying and abrasive (obviously written that way), but yeah, suffice it to say as you learn more about her (and catch glimpses of her softer side), you can understand why she is the way that she is.  It is an interesting character, in that she can go from brilliant (and ruthless) businesswoman to a petulant child throwing a temper tantrum in an eyeblink.    

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

She's VERY British.  You would never know she played Beth Dutton, if you only heard voices.  Don't know if you ever watched True Blood, but Stephen Moyer is very much the same way.  

Her character can definitely be incredibly annoying and abrasive (obviously written that way), but yeah, suffice it to say as you learn more about her (and catch glimpses of her softer side), you can understand why she is the way that she is.  It is an interesting character, in that she can go from brilliant (and ruthless) businesswoman to a petulant child throwing a temper tantrum in an eyeblink.    

Of course I watched True Blood, isn't it obvious yet that you and I have similar tastes in most things (music, TV, Devils, Mets, Disney, etc.)?

That is a fair assessment of her character, and while it would be totally irritating to deal with a person like that in real life, for a TV character, its so fun to watch. 

I am still mulling over whether I sign up for Paramount+ in order to stream the prequel series. Fair bet is on "hell yes". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

The body of work ain't great, but the penalty killing is better and Siegenthaler's steady play is a nice surprise. 

With Jack back, the PP has to get better, I mean .... right? I sure hope so.

Re:  the bolded, you're right...over their last 10 GP, they've killed off 24 out of 27 opportunities (88.9%)...but some of those kills have been so ragged that it doesn't feel like it's been that effective.  Probably doesn't help that the team is only 4-4-2 in those games.

The PP is 0-for-15 over its last 6 games and is actually a -2.  That's pretty god-awful.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  the bolded, you're right...over their last 10 GP, they've killed off 24 out of 27 opportunities (88.9%)...but some of those kills have been so ragged that it doesn't feel like it's been that effective.  Probably doesn't help that the team is only 4-4-2 in those games.

The PP is 0-for-15 over its last 6 games and is actually a -2.  That's pretty god-awful.  

It's nice that the team is using their speed to pressure players now, as ragged as it looks at times. The PK was too passive last year, and it just didn't work at all. 

With Jack and Dougie on the ice together on the PP, I'm expecting good things. It sure is bad now, like you say.

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

It's nice that the team is using their speed to pressure players now, as ragged as it looks at times. The PK was too passive last year, and it just didn't work at all. 

With Jack and Dougie on the ice together on the PP, I'm expecting good things. It sure is bad now, like you say.

I think it's also a case of the PK not earning our trust yet...like last night, they give up only their 3rd PPG in their last 10 games, but it feels like "Well of course!"  Hopefully the much improved % is a sign of things to come, and not just a temporary anomaly.

And yeah hopefully Jack being back (and getting comfortable in time) sparks the PP.  Devils can't keep having a non-existent power play.  

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed...though most Brits and Aussies actors and actresses can nail an American accent very passably (to the point where you're stunned when you hear them interviewed and they sound NOTHING like the American characters they portray), I've definitely seen examples where you can start to hear native accents creep in some (Naomi Watts in The Ring, Catherine Zeta-Jones in The Haunting, among others)...usually in more "heated" moments.

Not sure if you've watched Yellowstone, but Kelly Reilly (plays Beth Dutton) couldn't sound less like her character in real life.  Ditto Nicholas Pinnock from For Life (ran two seasons).  What's funny is that Brits, Aussies (and Irish people for that matter) often so easily pull off American accents (even regional ones), but when Americans try to go the other way, the results are often very mixed...see Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own.     

The best Brit doing an American accent is Hugh Laurie in House.  100% passable with a very few, very small exceptions.

22 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The best Brit doing an American accent is Hugh Laurie in House.  100% passable with a very few, very small exceptions.

He was definitely one of the people I was thinking of.  Blew my mind when I heard his "normal" speaking voice.

Margot Robbie is quite solid doing her various American accents (as Harley Quinn, Tonya Harding, etc).