Coaching issues and how to fix them

RunninWithTheDevil

50 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Don't most GM's hire assistants. Coach's can request them I suppose. But if a head coach has to go, one of the assistants can step in. (regardless of the "system')

Yeah, Fitz told everyone he was keeping nASS when he hired Ruff, him not being able to have a say for the sake of continuity was a trash move by Fitz, I remember us all questioning it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Ruff only has 18 months left on his current contract.... get Grönborg to come over, fire the assistants, he join the staff, then promote

I think he will have candidates that will offer him a HC role straight up. 

9 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I think he will have candidates that will offer him a HC role straight up. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I misread the premise, I would fire Ruff too. 

Yeah, also true, fine fvck it, clean house, start fresh cause meddling at NHL .500 for a team with Wild Card aspirations isn't acceptable after 25% of the season

25 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Yeah, also true, fine fvck it, clean house, start fresh cause meddling at NHL .500 for a team with Wild Card aspirations isn't acceptable after 25% of the season

He’s probably a nice guy, but special teams are sh!t, at least 4 forwards are not living up to their prior season, defense has been awful. Now our best players are being played out of position and our best line since October has been dismantled.

What the fvck else do you want to see before it’s time to fire the entire coaching staff and start fresh? 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s probably a nice guy, but special teams are sh!t, at least 4 forwards are not living up to their prior season, defense has been awful. Now our best players are being played out of position and our best line since October has been dismantled.

What the fvck else do you want to see before it’s time to fire the entire coaching staff and start fresh? 

Yeah this is where I’m at.  And I really don’t want this to become yet another “Oh well, maybe next year” scenario.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m not being sarcastic, but can someone explain the Gronberg thing to me? I keep hearing his name thrown around but I’ve never seen why he’s so highly regarded. 

Pipe dream. He's happy in Switzerland and quite content with his coaching position there

Edited by CarpathianForest

1 hour ago, CarpathianForest said:

Pipe dream. He's happy in Switzerland and quite content with his coaching position there

But what makes people think he is a good coach?

I’m in favor of literally any move that involves firing our coaching staff, I am fine with a guy who is that highly regarded. I just don’t have the info on why he is so highly regarded. 

40 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

then why did he entertained an interview with the Sabres last summer?

That claim sounded like someone talking completely out of their ass. The NHL is the best league in the world. If a coach doesn’t strive to be there then I don’t want him anyway. 

6 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m not being sarcastic, but can someone explain the Gronberg thing to me? I keep hearing his name thrown around but I’ve never seen why he’s so highly regarded. 

The good thing about him is that he's been called my many the best coach not in the NHL

Also his style of coaching is building a system around the players that he has. He's saying there's so many ways to play and so many skills out there you really need to build around that. Which is amazing compared to seeing coaches or GM stuck in their one way of doing things and trying to often fit a square peg in a round hole. Like Torts trying to get the Sedins to play Torts hockey. That was obviously not going to work.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The good thing about him is that he's been called my many the best coach not in the NHL

Also his style of coaching is building a system around the players that he has. He's saying there's so many ways to play and so many skills out there you really need to build around that. Which is amazing compared to seeing coaches or GM stuck in their one way of doing things and trying to often fit a square peg in a round hole. Like Torts trying to get the Sedins to play Torts hockey. That was obviously not going to work.

I remember when were all hyped over getting the best player not in the NHL… oof. 

Coaching probably translates a little better though. 

• Shocking 1

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I remember when were all hyped over getting the best player not in the NHL… oof. 

Coaching probably translates a little better though. 

Well yeah that's the danger of the unknown...the unknown can live up to the hype like Kaprizov, or flop like Gusev.

49 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well yeah that's the danger of the unknown...the unknown can live up to the hype like Kaprizov, or flop like Gusev.

Yeah but i'd take that gamble over the unknown that is.... is Nas and Recchi EVER gonna get out special units to work? What is known now is that it's not working

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That claim sounded like someone talking completely out of their ass. The NHL is the best league in the world. If a coach doesn’t strive to be there then I don’t want him anyway. 

Totally agree. I can understand the guy not wanting to leave his home country to come coach in the NHL if that is what he wants to do. It’s not like that’s not a huge life change for someone. But if that’s the kind of thing that he’s thinking, definitely don’t try to bring him over because he will not be happy. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Totally agree. I can understand the guy not wanting to leave his home country to come coach in the NHL if that is what he wants to do. It’s not like that’s not a huge life change for someone. But if that’s the kind of thing that he’s thinking, definitely don’t try to bring him over because he will not be happy. 

He coaches in Switzerland at the moment, not Sweden. Unless you mean when he coaches the national team.

I think he'd like the opportunity to coach a struggling team in the NHL.

23 minutes ago, Ermak said:

He coaches in Switzerland at the moment, not Sweden. Unless you mean when he coaches the national team.

I think he'd like the opportunity to coach a struggling team in the NHL.

Whatever, that's like the same thing lol. All I know is his name is awesome if you say it in the Swedish Chef accent. 

Edited by mfitz804