Devils Season so far, where we are after 25%

Chimaira_Devil_#9

We are 25% done, forum perspective poll  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who had been our best player so far this season?

• Andreas Johnsson
    • Jesper Bratt
    • Ryan Graves
    • Dougie Hamilton
    • Dawson Mercer
    • Pavel Zacha
    • Other
  2. 2. Who has been the most pleasant surprise?

• Jimmy Veasey
    • Andreas Johnsson
    • Jesper Bratt
    • Dawson Mercer
  3. 3. Who has been our worst player of the season?

• Yegor Sharangovich
    • Janne Kuokkanen
    • PK Suban
    • Tomas Tatar
    • Damon Severson
    • Ty Smith
    • Jonas Siegenthaler
    • Other
  4. 4. Who has been the most disappointing?

• Tomas Tatar
    • Ty Smith
    • Yegor Sharangovich
    • Janne Kuokkanen
    • Mackenzie Blackwood
    • Mikey McLeod
    • Damon Severson
    • Other
  5. 5. At this stage of the season , based on your expectations before the season started the Devil's record is

• Greatly above what I expected
    • Above what I expected
    • About what I expected
    • A bit below what I expected
    • Way below what I expected
  6. 6. Based on the season so far , do you think the Devil's will make the playoffs?

• Yes, start growing those beards
    • No, dust off the golf clubs.

1 hour ago, nessus said:

As others have said, the only players that have stood out for me in a positive way are Bratt, Johnsson, Mercer, and Hamilton. I will add that Hamilton, in particular, has been a bright spot on this team. No matter who was hot or cold on the team, Hamilton has been consistently productive. With the way he went from a strong team to a significantly weaker team this year, you would almost expect his production to dip a bit. But not Dougie, he has kept up his play regardless of all that.

As for everyone else, they each seem to fall into one of several categories:

Neutral: Zacha, Graves, Subban, Siegenthaler. You're mostly getting what you expect from these guys based on recent seasons' performance. I was hoping Zacha would take another step forward, but he has fewer points than Nico, who has been disappointing for everyone. I've been a huge Zacha fan since the beginning, but even I'm starting to see what the naysayers think of him to some degree. I still think of him as one of the Devils' best offensive weapons, but when he's off his game, there can be a lot of turnovers, poor decisions, and low effort plays. Hoping he can clean that up.

A lot left to be desired: Tatar, Hischier, Sharangovich. I think all three of these players have overall been disappointing, but have been on a generally positive trajectory. Hischier, in particular, I am confident will continue elevate his game, as he slowly has been. Shara looks lost often, but he showed so much promise last season that it might premature to write him off.

These guys are  still on the team?: Kuokkanen, McLeod, Bastian. Bastian deserves some time, but Kuokkanen and McLeod are two guys that I thought would have significant roles on this team. Neither of them has shown much of anything this year, and I don't think faceoffs are enough to keep McLeod around.

Terrible: Smith, Severson. Smith is clearly going through growing pains and will get better with time. Severson, on the other hand, was set up to thrive in Ruff's system, especially with a more limited role. He has struggled, and will need to pick his game up soon if he is going to be a part of this team's future.

Inconsistent goaltenders: self explanatory.

I should also mention that Vesey has been a pleasant surprise. Doesn't move the needle all that much, but he has had some big moments, and was definitely worth the PTO and low risk contract.

Overall, this has made for the season to be quite disappointing for me. I thought this would easily be a bubble team, but instead, I find that the team has a deceivingly average record. The silver lining is I think that a lot of these players can wake up and have a strong remainder of the season.

Agree on all counts apart from maybe Graves, he has 10 points which is way more than I expected and apart from a few brain farts has done well in his own end. I think he has exceeded what I expected.

• Like 1