GDT: Devils @ the Jets (Shootout loss incoming)

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

We’re taking my gf’s kid to her second ever game on the 8th. Hopefully the team bothers to show up. 

Look at the bright side…you get to see the Jersey jerseys!

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It is nice to have a coach that says more than "tough building".

I still don't think this is 100% on Ruff, though he is the coach so he shoulders most of it. They play out there for long stretches like they have no pride. It's just awful. This is the NHL, you take even a single shift off the chances are you are going to pay. Why is it so hard to get a 60 min effort out of this group?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is nice to have a coach that says more than "tough building".

I still don't think this is 100% on Ruff, though he is the coach so he shoulders most of it. They play out there for long stretches like they have no pride. It's just awful. This is the NHL, you take even a single shift off the chances are you are going to pay. Why is it so hard to get a 60 min effort out of this group?

I’d even take a 40 minute one. Or coming out with some fire and not flat.  And I don’t put it all on Ruff. He was handed Nas and Recchi and that’s gotta be hard. But he’s gotta figure out how to get this team ready to play 

37 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d even take a 40 minute one. Or coming out with some fire and not flat.  And I don’t put it all on Ruff. He was handed Nas and Recchi and that’s gotta be hard. But he’s gotta figure out how to get this team ready to play 

Nas is one thing but Recchi was an outside hire, Ruff has to own him unless we're just trying to 'guess' he got hired because of the Pittsburgh connection.

Edited by NJDevs4978

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fitz?  You watchin?

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiitz…

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dear Fitz,

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Say it with me Fitz…

Fitz?  You awake?  

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

FIIIIIIIIIIITZ

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Nas is one thing but Recchi was an outside hire, Ruff has to own him unless we're just trying to 'guess' he got hired because of the Pittsburgh connection.

Ruff could have made changes but he chose not to. I can see giving Recchi a chance after the Covid season, but Nass I don't get and Recchi is also wearing(worn) out his good faith. I'd say Ruff should do something, if not this year then the next, but at this rate he might not be around either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ruff could have made changes but he chose not to. I can see giving Recchi a chance after the Covid season, but Nass I don't get and Recchi is also wearing(worn) out his good faith. I'd say Ruff should do something, if not this year then the next, but at this rate he might not be around either.

I don’t know if Ruff has the power to make those decisions. The way Fitz talked about keeping Nas and hiring Recchi, it sounded like an organizational decision and not Ruff’s. Ruff may not be allowed to fire anyone

• Like 1

This team’s problem isn’t offense, they’ve shown they can score goals, and if I’m not mistaken, are middle of the pack in GF/G with an ATROCIOUS PP. With even a mediocre PP we might be top 10 in GF/G in the league. 

The PK has gotten better, but the point still stands: this team’s problem is defense. They’re careless with the puck and with their defensive zone coverage, and give up way too many high danger chances which then hurts the goaltending. I don’t care who is in net, making stops against so many high danger chances is extremely improbable.

Scoring 4 last night was sufficient to win us the game. Defense killed us again.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 3

This is absolutely a Fitz problem, the D is still terrible and they have too many of the same type of player. It's a coach problem. Not one time has he thrown a big guy out there on the PP with the sole purpose of standing in front of the goalie. Hell, there was a time when the Devils had Stevens up front on the PP just to do it. Graves is a big guy throw him out there.  It's a player problem. They all look like they're playing the ladies game.  As soon as the Devils scored that 4th goal Winnipeg got pissed and started hitting the sh!t out of them. Jack nearly got decapitated. The Devils superstar coming back from a long injury almost lost his head and they didn't even respond.  This team is a joke!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, capo said:

This is absolutely a Fitz problem, the D is still terrible and they have too many of the same type of player. It's a coach problem. Not one time has he thrown a big guy out there on the PP with the sole purpose of standing in front of the goalie. Hell, there was a time when the Devils had Stevens up front on the PP just to do it. Graves is a big guy throw him out there.  It's a player problem. They all look like they're playing the ladies game.  As soon as the Devils scored that 4th goal Winnipeg got pissed and started hitting the sh!t out of them. Jack nearly got decapitated. The Devils superstar coming back from a long injury almost lost his head and they didn't even respond.  This team is a joke!

This team has a habit of starting out fast, looking pretty good, showing fire, standing up for each other, etc. And then it just…. Stops. Every. Year. I just don’t get it. 

27 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It does feel like the season is slipping (or has already slipped) away. Meaningful hockey in Jan 2022 might be off the table already.

Unacceptable.

Three points out of the last wild card spot right now, so it’s not over yet…. But the margin for error is getting smaller and smaller. They need to stop the bleeding.

Edited by MadDog2020