GDT: Devils @ the Jets (Shootout loss incoming)

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Can anyone explain to me the point of Siegenthaler ? His D is weak, he barely  hits, his shot is terrible - on one of the plays Boqvist made amazing pass through 5 people to him for absolutely amazing chance in the slot and he just flubbed a weak shot in Hellebyuck. White and either Bahl or Okhotyuk seem much better options at this point or maybe all 3 of them 

4 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

This team’s problem isn’t offense, they’ve shown they can score goals, and if I’m not mistaken, are middle of the pack in GF/G with an ATROCIOUS PP. With even a mediocre PP we might be top 10 in GF/G in the league. 

The PK has gotten better, but the point still stands: this team’s problem is defense. They’re careless with the puck and with their defensive zone coverage, and give up way too many high danger chances which then hurts the goaltending. I don’t care who is in net, making stops against so many high danger chances is extremely improbable.

Scoring 4 last night was sufficient to win us the game. Defense killed us again.

We’re 22nd in the league in goals for. It’s definitely not our biggest problem but it’s a problem. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We’re 22nd in the league in goals for. It’s definitely not our biggest problem but it’s a problem. 

I feel like Goals For per Game is a more accurate metric given teams having played more/less games, etc. We're 17th in the league with 2.91 GF/G, which is pretty much middle of the pack. With a passable PP, we might be top 10. 

Need to take a long look at our Defensive positioning, Guys are constantly out of position in the D zone. Also can we get our forwards to pressure the points. Too many open shots are getting through, need to get more blocks up top, if a puck gets thru then all 5 players collapse down low, ughhhhhh.  NZ play horrible, you think maybe we could slow the opposition some, instead of giving them a free pass right thru the blue line. lol etc etc. 

• Like 1

Okhotiuk looked the best of the young D in camp by far. The times he had mishaps were from being over aggressive. I'll take over aggressive. In Bahl's small example he looked like a big guy who plays soft and was afraid to make mistakes.  I would bring them both up and start scratching Subban, Siegenthaler, and Smith, who has also sucked. I'd look at trades for guys who fit the physical role.  The only untouchable players on this team should be Nico, Bratt, Hughes, Hamilton, and Mercer.

30 minutes ago, capo said:

Okhotiuk looked the best of the young D in camp by far. The times he had mishaps were from being over aggressive. I'll take over aggressive. In Bahl's small example he looked like a big guy who plays soft and was afraid to make mistakes.  I would bring them both up and start scratching Subban, Siegenthaler, and Smith, who has also sucked. I'd look at trades for guys who fit the physical role.  The only untouchable players on this team should be Nico, Bratt, Hughes, Hamilton, and Mercer.

So in summary we're willing to trade all the marginal and trash to improve the team. Not sure what that's going to bring you back. I mean might as well throw the assistant coaches in too.

What's really disturbing is this is the same sentiment that has been echoing here for years now.  It's slipping away early, the D sucks, we're soft, the coaching is bad, special teams blows.

We added two players to the untouchable list in Mercer and Hamilton on the plus side.

8 minutes ago, titans04 said:

So in summary we're willing to trade all the marginal and trash to improve the team. Not sure what that's going to bring you back. I mean might as well throw the assistant coaches in too.

What's really disturbing is this is the same sentiment that has been echoing here for years now.  It's slipping away early, the D sucks, we're soft, the coaching is bad, special teams blows.

We added two players to the untouchable list in Mercer and Hamilton on the plus side.

So... Our expectations are the issue?

4 minutes ago, capo said:

So... Our expectations are the issue?

Nope not at all, it's broken.  So many things aren't good enough starting with the coaching staff and Fitz for allowing it to continue.  Getting Hamilton was great! But the talent is so razor thin outside of such a small handful they're just not good enough.  I don't think they sniff the playoffs again this year which will be how many times in the last ten? 

But patience I guess.  Drink up.

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Nope not at all, it's broken.  So many things aren't good enough starting with the coaching staff and Fitz for allowing it to continue.  Getting Hamilton was great! But the talent is so razor thin outside of such a small handful they're just not good enough.  I don't think they sniff the playoffs again this year which will be how many times in the last ten? 

But patience I guess.  Drink up.

Ok, understood. I don't think it's a lack of talent though. I think it's too many of the same type of player.  Coaching is definitely an issue. There is way too much offensive talent to have a PP suck that bad. You don't have to waste time on that stupid drop pass to gain the blue line if you can dump the puck down low and win a battle.  They simply don't have that type of player. You can't win in the NHL if you can't win board battles. The Devils have the talent to exchange to get tougher and raise the level of compete. Fitz just hasn't gotten it done.

• Like 1

Just rewatching our sh!tty positioning.

Goal # 1 5v5
Devils on the Ice:
Defense: Smith/Subban
Wingers: Johnsson, Mercer, Hughes

3 Jets in the OZ Poink,Connor,Scheifele
5 Devils in DZ......

Pionk gains OZ left side outside the dots, Subban picks him up,
Kyle Connor Right side outside the dots. Right side covered by Smith-low Mercer High
Johnsson trailing the play, Hughes leaves Center slot and head towards Poink,
Scheifele enters center slot wide open 0 coverage, gets pass from Poink, right between Hughes and Subban. 
Takes it too the house. 

Center slot wide open: That doesn't happen if the Center is in the right position.

Goal # 3 really fvcking irked me, Jets a simple dump in, played by Bernier, Pass it to Sevs, had a hard time handling it great FC by Lowry on Sevs, and we turned over it behind the net. Vesalainen gets the pass from Stastny right out front. Mcleod just stayed along the wall, guessing we weren't going cough it up. Terrible mistakes. 2 out of the 3 first goal were preventable. fvcking joke

35 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Goal # 3 really fvcking irked me, Jets a simple dump in, played by Bernier, Pass it to Sevs, had a hard time handling it great FC by Lowry on Sevs, and we turned over it behind the net. Vesalainen gets the pass from Stastny right out front. Mcleod just stayed along the wall, guessing we weren't going cough it up. Terrible mistakes. 2 out of the 3 first goal were preventable. fvcking joke

When Vesalainen got that puck, Severson and Seigenther were both behind the goal line. Just awful. 

50 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Beyond disappointed this wasn't a suspension, he needs a wakeup call since our coaching staff wont freaking do it outside of a stern word to the media

Didn’t somebody just get suspended for a similar play? I can’t believe 1) he’s still doing this stuff and 2) the league hasn’t stepped in.