Devils get new beat writer at the Athletic

Chimaira_Devil_#9

I really didn't know which thread to put this in, so it gets it own thread. Any subscribers to the Athletic may have noticed Corey Masisak has been a bit quiet recently. Well he has now been transferred to covering the Sharks and will be moving down to San Jose. 

The Devil's have been allocated Shayna Goldman as a replacement. 

As you can see from the tweet above she has been brought in to cover both the Rangers and the Devil's. Most of her free lance work has been covering the Rangers. 

At this stage I think our media coverage and beat writer presence is at an all-time low. I hope they are waiting on appointing a replacement for the Rangers coverage so we get a full time reporter at the athletic otherwise that is some Grade A bullsh!t. 

Currently feels like the organisation has no journalistic challenge or anyone asking the awkward questions a lot of people on here are asking. 

Disappointing to say the least. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

9 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I really didn't know which thread to put this in, so it gets it own thread. Any subscribers to the Athletic may have noticed Corey Masisak has been a bit quiet recently. Well he has now been transferred to covering the Sharks and will be moving down to San Jose. 

The Devil's have been allocated Shayna Goldman as a replacement. 

As you can see from the tweet above she has been brought in to cover both the Rangers and the Devil's. Most of her free lance work has been covering the Rangers. 

At this stage I think our media coverage and beat writer presence is at an all-time low. I hope they are waiting on appointing a replacement for the Rangers coverage so we get a full time reporter at the athletic otherwise that is some Grade A bullsh!t. 

Currently feels like the organisation has no journalistic challenge or anyone asking the awkward questions a lot of people on here are asking. 

Disappointing to say the least. 

That wasn't happening with Corey, so I doubt it was happening without him too.

Like I said on the other thread, I think this is what the Devils actually want.  They want to control the news coming out of the team and they don't want anything to go out without their approval/spin.

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Like I said on the other thread, I think this is what the Devils actually want.  They want to control the news coming out of the team and they don't want anything to go out without their approval/spin.

Oh I know that, but it was at least dedicated coverage. We now have zero dedicated media coverage for the Devil's. How the fvck is that possible. 

The premise that this team wants it that way only works if they are actively making it difficult for outside media to do their job. Surely someone would have mentioned this by now? 

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If you watch the ‘press conferences’, Corey usually had insightful questions. Didn’t shy away from tough ones. At the last one he brought up Ty Smith struggling. This is a blow to the fans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Oh I know that, but it was at least dedicated coverage. We now have zero dedicated media coverage for the Devil's. How the fvck is that possible. 

The premise that this team wants it that way only works if they are actively making it difficult for outside media to do their job. Surely someone would have mentioned this by now? 

Several writers in the past (including Abby) used to say that asking the players difficult questions would result in a scolding from Devils employees.  Also, earlier this season, one of the remaining writers (forgot which one) pointed out that a solid 1/3 of all attending media at a game were Devils employees.

Why else would the SL and the Record decline to send a beat writer for the Devils but have them for the other teams, including HS sports?  I am speculating that it is not worth it for them if they are constantly being watched by the team.

Man this really sucks.  No beat writers for the Record or the Star Ledger.  I just started reading the Athletic on a regular basis because I wanted team news from other than team sources.  Now we get a beat writer who is mostly analytics and is also mostly covering the Rangers.  Sorry stat freaks I'm an old guy and it doesn't improve my enjoyment of the game with the new fangled metrics interspersed in a hockey article.

• Like 1

The team reporters are the worst because I know they’re supposed to suck.

But when I hear one of them after the disastrous Jets game start off by asking Lindy, “Your PowerPlay looked great! How important was that to score a powerplay goal?” just makes you want to not even watch any interviews. It actually hurts one’s connection with the team.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

But when I hear one of them after the disastrous Jets game start off by asking Lindy, “Your PowerPlay looked great! How important was that to score a powerplay goal?” just makes you want to not even watch any interviews. It actually hurts one’s connection with the team.

I heard it too.  I was like did you watch the rest of the game?!  I promptly switched the channel.

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

Agreed. I don’t get why this organization feels the need to protect players and coaches from criticism. It’s infuriating. 

• Like 1

It's kind of bizzare in the idea of that this is something we would have expected from Lou when he was here but not something we would have expected once he was gone. We somehow have less reporter coverage and less accountability with people asking harder questions than arguably any other time in Devils history. It's strange. 

Also feels like my other team though, the Red Bulls who have 0 reporters and accountability in the media. It's definitely frustrating. 

• Like 1

I've been subscribed to the Athletic because of Corey Masisak...   having to split a beat writer with the Rangers?   

Yea, I'm sure we'll get plenty of attention from her...  plus she's covering analytics and fantasy hockey?  ugh

24 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I've been subscribed to the Athletic because of Corey Masisak...   having to split a beat writer with the Rangers?   

Yea, I'm sure we'll get plenty of attention from her...  plus she's covering analytics and fantasy hockey?  ugh

I’m done. I will be canceling. No way she provides decent coverage. 

19 minutes ago, aylbert said:

To be clear, happy to give her her shot.
But I just don't see coverage being the same if you have a bunch of other duties, namely Rangers beat, which will have higher page hits than Devils.

That’s my issue, and that’s why I’m not giving her a shot. 

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Didn't particularly like Corey, but Jesus who the hell do we actually have covering the team now?

Is our media market / footprint really that tiny as a franchise?

We have no one covering this team who will be even remotely critical of the franchise. It’s infuriating, it’s wrong, and it needs to be addressed. As fans, we have a right to coverage that is not 100% filtered through a team lens. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 4