Devils get new beat writer at the Athletic

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Oh cool, Smoothed Icetime, a new stat agents can say “see my player is amazing, you just don’t know how to use him” when asking for $5m annual for a 20 point guy.

(I have no idea if that’s the stat or graph)

my issue with the writer will be the inevitable “oh I’m being criticized cause I’m a woman in a sport dominated by toxic masculinity” angle and the white knights to defend the stance. She’s part of the Too Many Men podcast which usually erodes to that position when people aren’t happy with what Civian or the like write.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Like I said on the other thread, I think this is what the Devils actually want.  They want to control the news coming out of the team and they don't want anything to go out without their approval/spin.

I'll preface my response here by saying that I am far from in the know when it comes to media coverage and the inner workings of press relations, but isn't The Athletic an independent organization/publication, and therefore would be in charge of and have full authority over who covers particular teams?  How would the Devils get to control the information released to the public based on who The Athletic puts in place for various teams?  For example, if I went out and happened to create some new media company, and then I hired you and 31 other people to cover each individual team, and I specifically put you in charge of the Devils and said "go to each game and afterwards at the press conference, ask X Y and Z"... how do the Devils have any say in that process?  I'm sure that every media organization probably needs to get press credentials and have their company "approved" by the NHL teams in order to actually be allowed to attend games and press conferences, but that kind of things obviously happens at the beginning, and I don't think they require notification or approval of every personnel change that happens within that media company....right?

9 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Oh I know that, but it was at least dedicated coverage. We now have zero dedicated media coverage for the Devil's. How the fvck is that possible. 

The premise that this team wants it that way only works if they are actively making it difficult for outside media to do their job. Surely someone would have mentioned this by now? 

This kind of goes hand in hand with what I just mentioned and quoted DM84.  Does anyone actually know what that process is?  I mean, I feel like the Devils aren't necessarily responsible for the coverage (or lack thereof) of the team.  Granted they might be crazy, or stupid, but you'd think they'd want coverage and publicity, because coverage and attention generally leads to more eyeballs, which leads to more tickets, more money, etc etc.   If The Athletic, or ESPN, or The Hockey News, or whoever, suddenly decides to lump one writer into covering both the Devils and the Rangers, what say to the Devils have in that process?  They don't run The Athletic.  It isn't their fvcking choice to do that (is it?)

EDIT:  I hate to say it, but the fact that this team gets little to no coverage might be because of a few sad realities - 1) that we happened to suck, not only this season, but for the past several.... and B ) that hockey/the NHL/the Devils don't garner as much attention and interest in the area compared to other local sports and teams to the extent that it doesn't warrant a dedicated media person.  Just my hunch, and it sucks, but I think that could be playing a factor.

Edited by NJDfan1711

18 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'll preface my response here by saying that I am far from in the know when it comes to media coverage and the inner workings of press relations, but isn't The Athletic an independent organization/publication, and therefore would be in charge of and have full authority over who covers particular teams?  How would the Devils get to control the information released to the public based on who The Athletic puts in place for various teams?  For example, if I went out and happened to create some new media company, and then I hired you and 31 other people to cover each individual team, and I specifically put you in charge of the Devils and said "go to each game and afterwards at the press conference, ask X Y and Z"... how do the Devils have any say in that process?  I'm sure that every media organization probably needs to get press credentials and have their company "approved" by the NHL teams in order to actually be allowed to attend games and press conferences, but that kind of things obviously happens at the beginning, and I don't think they require notification or approval of every personnel change that happens within that media company....right?

My understanding, from earlier in this thread, is there have been instances where the Devils criticized writers for tougher questions and make it more difficult to cover them. 

Devils don’t control the coverage, but do control the access.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Who gives a fvck about Jack’s hair, how about some actual team news. 

What shoes was he wearing??

not sure on the shoes but every time she asks a question during a post game I'm reminded by the tone of her voice that her balls are twice the size of mine. 

That was some riveting pre-game they're on the ice breaking news.

At least she's quiet during shootouts!

3 hours ago, aylbert said:

My understanding, from earlier in this thread, is there have been instances where the Devils criticized writers for tougher questions and make it more difficult to cover them. 

This exactly.  The Devils have seemed to make it very difficult for the reporters for independent outlets to do their jobs.  I can imagine that is more of the reason that papers like the Star Ledger and the Record stopped assigning beat writers as I can imagine it is a frustrating experience.

I don't have any concrete proof or anything, but it falls in line with how they are operating and what other beat writers have said over the past 2-3 years.

7 hours ago, aylbert said:

I don't doubt that, but I do believe literally every sports team on the planet does that.  It just happened yesterday, in fact - the Buffalo Bills lost at home to the Patriots who only threw three passes in the entire game, and during the post-game press conference a reporter asked two players "Was that embarrassing?"  Needless to say they gave a pretty predictable reaction and response to the reporter.  Now I don't blame the players one bit for reacting the way they did - no one wants to be asked that question, but at the same time I don't blame the reporter at all for asking a fair question - it's his job.  Regardless of either side, I don't think that reporter was told he wouldn't be allowed back nor do I think the Bills are going to try to limit their press coverage because of it.  

I know other sports have certain policies and rules where teams need to make available certain players or staff members to the media, which would seem to invalidate any team's desire to inhibit the media's ability to provide coverage of the team.  Does the NHL not have similar policies...?

Edited by NJDfan1711

12 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't doubt that, but I do believe literally every sports team on the planet does that.  It just happened yesterday, in fact - the Buffalo Bills lost at home to the Patriots who only threw three passes in the entire game, and during the post-game press conference a reporter asked two players "Was that embarrassing?"  Needless to say they gave a pretty predictable reaction and response to the reporter.  Now I don't blame the players one bit for reacting the way they did - no one wants to be asked that question, but at the same time I don't blame the reporter at all for asking a fair question - it's his job.  Regardless of either side, I don't think that reporter was told he wouldn't be allowed back nor do I think the Bills are going to try to limit their press coverage because of it.  

I know other sports have certain policies and rules where teams need to make available certain players or staff members to the media, which would seem to invalidate any team's desire to inhibit the media's ability to provide coverage of the team.  Does the NHL not have similar policies...?

The issue is that past beat writers (over the last 2-3 years) have alluded that the Devils would indeed punish them for asking players such questions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

The issue is that past beat writers (over the last 2-3 years) have alluded that the Devils would indeed punish them for asking players such questions.

That kind of bullsh!t speaks to a lack of accountability throughout the organization. If you have no trouble holding and being held accountable, you don’t have a problem with tough questions. The fact that they try to make it hard on independent beat writers trying to do their jobs tells me they don’t want the fans to know what’s really going on. When you go out of your way to control the message, it means the real message isn’t one you want anyone finding out about. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

That kind of bullsh!t speaks to a lack of accountability throughout the organization. If you have no trouble holding and being held accountable, you don’t have a problem with tough questions. The fact that they try to make it hard on independent beat writers trying to do their jobs tells me they don’t want the fans to know what’s really going on. When you go out of your way to control the message, it means the real message isn’t one you want anyone finding out about. 

No matter what the motivations, it's just a bad look.  They're reminding me more and more of the Wilpons, in that at times it almost feels like they have an active disdain for the fanbase; Fred and especially Jeffy would almost act like they were doing Mets fans a favor by even fielding a baseball team at all.  Not that owners and fans are constantly chummy, but there is such a disconnect right now...and it's a shame, because for all of their faults, these guys DO allow their GMs to spend money...and I think they'll continue to.  But on just about everything else (that's how it feels, anyway), there's so little common ground.  I think the owners and everyone responsible for the Jersey jersey are excited as can be, and think this is going to be a great night.  I think most fans (not all, but most) still think these things are hideous and a horribly missed opportunity to have come up with something 1000x cooler and badass.  On opposite sides of the spectrum yet again. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Two articles from Shayna so far. Currently on a 5 day streak without any Devils content on The Athletic.  Time to cancel me thinks. 

It was pretty obvious that given that she herself is a fan of the Rangers who is asked to split her duties between them and the Devils where the lion share of coverage would lean towards even with the insistence to the contrary by her and the Athletic.

Frankly, scrolling through her timeline, she seems to be another one of those analytics zealots and paying to see a steady flow of charts and graphs is not worth whatever the Athletic price is IMO,

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

For sure, cut and bail. She won't be actually covering the Devils with any regularity.

I actually reached out to their subscription department and they said to me that they are close to resolving the lack of full time coverage , but couldn't say who they were going to appoint. 

I was genuinely shocked that:

a) they replied

b) they told me what they were doing and that they were looking to appoint someone , especially as I didn't even ask. 

So fair play, I will stick with it for now. Some of their PL coverage is good a d I occasionally look at it for Seahawks/NFL info for my predictor league. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...