GDT: Devils vs Senators 12/6/21 7pm MSG+

NJDfan1711

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That’s some Brent Sutter stuff. 

This greatly displeases me. I haven’t been on the “fire Ruff” train as of yet, but sh!t like this makes me consider getting a ticket. 

26 minutes ago, devlman said:

To be fair, Bratt deserved to be benched. He sucked today

McLeod has 0 goals in 23 GP. Bratt is leading the team in points. There is no reasonable argument to be made for McLeod giving you a better chance at winning a close game over Bratt. This is typical old school coach crap. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, devlman said:

He’s an overrated, mediocre game day coach.

Agreed, but God damn can he recruit.

He's apparently getting the biggest assistant budget in the ACC, so if he can get a quality OC/DC and just let them and the croots do their things... I mean he could turn it around quickly.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

The last time we made the playoffs we've had negative fans saying every single losses through december and january were the nail in the coffin of the season. Every single one of them.

We've been wrecked by covid last season. Never stopped the negative nancies to have at it all year long.

IF we miss the playoffs this season it will be 9 of the last 10 season those negative nancies have been right in the end.  Tough to argue with them being wrong 10% of the time. The year we did make it we got bounced in rd 1.

No, as I said before it's not over, but it's starting to smell familiar in a lot of ways in which I think most of us thought we were past. I don't think anybody envisioned the D being this bad with addition of Graves and Ty taking the next step and of course Hamilton. Hughes being hurt obviously was a big deal. But there's still a major lack of the ability to finish up front, special teams, meh goaltending at times etc. Nico being no better than he has been in the past and on pace to match he career high of 52 pts according to the pregame (yay??)

I don't think Jack getting healthy is enough to right this ship that  now continues to take on water especially under this coaching staff. 

Would love to be wrong. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This greatly displeases me. I haven’t been on the “fire Ruff” train as of yet, but sh!t like this makes me consider getting a ticket. 

McLeod has 0 goals in 23 GP. Bratt is leading the team in points. There is no reasonable argument to be made for McLeod giving you a better chance at winning a close game over Bratt. This is typical old school coach crap. 

His one job is to win faceoffs lol. We need more than that 🙄

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

IF we miss the playoffs this season it will be 9 of the last 10 season those negative nancies have been right in the end.  Tough to argue with them being wrong 10% of the time. The year we did make it we got bounced in rd 1.

No, as I said before it's not over, but it's starting to smell familiar in a lot of ways in which I think most of us thought we were past. I don't think anybody envisioned the D being this bad with addition of Graves and Ty taking the next step and of course Hamilton. Hughes being hurt obviously was a big deal. But there's still a major lack of the ability to finish up front, special teams, meh goaltending at times etc. Nico being no better than he has been in the past and on pace to match he career high of 52 pts according to the pregame (yay??)

I don't think Jack getting healthy is enough to right this ship that  now continues to take on water especially under this coaching staff. 

Would love to be wrong. 

Well context is important when you bring up the 9 out of the last 10 seasons. People hate it when i bring this up cause they don't like where that accountability has to go. But we had to rebuild from what i feel is the worst roster and prospect pool the NHL has ever seen in recent history. We were NOT realistically becoming playoff regulars anytime soon after that, simply impossible without having some sort of time machine or crystal ball. IMO we're only starting to be in a territory where playoffs were realistically a possibility. So to lump all those years before is not really fair.

There's also never any guarantees for anything. We picked first overall and got Nico who appears to be a slightly above average player at best. Thats straight up bad luck. Even more that we got the best out of the 2 possibilities there was at #1 that year. 

I do agree that our GM should have at least acted sooner with some firing. Doesnt mean it would mean playoffs hockey but you still want to put your best chances forward. And i can't for the life of me see how anyone thinking Nas is giving the team the best chance to win at this point

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt was responsible for one of the goals against. I’m not in favor of seeing McLeod every two minutes either but Bratt deserved to see fewer minutes tonight. He was a liability and we have to hold players accountable. 

Edited by devlman

48 minutes ago, devlman said:

Bratt was responsible for one of the goals against. I’m not in favor of seeing McLeod every two minutes either but Bratt deserved to see fewer minutes tonight. He was a liability and we have to hold players accountable. 

Maybe Ruff should hold himself accountable for breaking up the Bratt - Mercer - Johnsson line in the first place. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Maybe Ruff should hold himself accountable for breaking up the Bratt - Mercer - Johnsson line in the first place. 

Two weeks ago it was statistically one of the best lines in the NHL. So of course we have to break it up. 

• Angry 1

In all fairness, the Devils are really making progress.

Last season, they went 6-3-2 before it all went completely to sh!t.

This year, they managed to get to SEVEN-3-2.

yay

Fitz, something, do, can you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, devlman said:

He’s an overrated, mediocre game day coach.

…so was Butch Davis.  Doesn’t much matter if you can successfully recruit and develop Dade and Broward talent.

As for the Devils, the seasons we’re getting from Nico, Ty Smith and Sharangovich are really concerning.  Smith especially can’t do anything right out there at the moment 

14 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Funny, after that game I was thinking that if the Devils were playing a good team, it would have been a 5-2 loss. 

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread, but Blackwood was terrible in the shootout. So slow to react. 

Yeah I was 11 rows up in the lower bowl, and the game was just...ugly, really.  Started OK and just got more and more blah as it went on.  I don't think a soul in the arena (and it was a VERY sparse crowd last night) had any confidence that the Devils were going to somehow pull out that shootout.  

I didn't see the postgame show, but Erika is supposed to be the voice of optimism...I get that if there's a mushroom cloud on the horizon, it's her job to admire how pretty it can be when the sunlight just hits it so.  Dano and Sal...sorry, they need to call it more like it is...any Devils fan who watched that game last night knows that something was plenty off.  This team is 2-6-3 in their last 11 GP, and it's not like they've been extremely unlucky in many of them...they've been outscored 20-10 in their latest losing streak (now four games).

If Fitz is going to sit on his hands and "stay the course" with the loser trio, well, obviously NOT fine...but is the guy alive?  Can we hear from him?  I don't think it's too early in the season to hear his thoughts on a year that looks perilously close to getting away from the Devils.

And on a side note, Mackenzie now has a .903 save% since the start of last season.  Until further notice, he's no longer a prospect with upside...he's just another completely ordinary goalie, and a guy who shouldn't be counted on to be part of a competitive core.  Would love for him to prove me wrong, and I'm sure he'll go on his occasional hot runs, but he'll never sustain anything long-term.  It's a shame, really thought that he was going to become a nice homegrown netminder here.  But it's really reached a point where, even with the coaching staff having issues, that we have to start accepting that some of these kids might simply not have the upside that we thought that they did (as others have mentioned).  

• Thanks 1