GTD: NJ Jerseys vs Philadelphia

jagknife

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Granted beating the Flyers is like kicking a toddler’s ass, but if you are going to fight a toddler, might as well beat the sh!t out of them. 

E51E03B1-4101-4C29-B0F7-BAC771E92AD9.jpeg

But the infants of Ottawa beat us…

I’ll take beating toddlers 

Just now, pumpkin cutter said:

Undefeated and yet to be scored on while wearing the best 3rd jersey ever.

I now hate you

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You forgot about New Jersey legend Sprague Cleghorn??

Imagine him on a line with Foghorn Leghorn?

• Haha 1

Just now, jagknife said:

At least Mac shaved that atrocious stache

Just needs to visit Jack and Dawson’s barber now. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Imagine him on a line with Foghorn Leghorn?

I say I say I say that was my first thought too. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, he’s literally saying as much right now. 

The guy may not be the next Jesus or Brodeur, but I feel like when we don't completely sh!t the bed in front of him and leave guys wide open, he's MORE than competent to be the clear cut starter for this team.  He has his moments where he lets up stinkers, like anyone does, but I still love what the guy brings every single night - he looks poised out there and doesn't get rattled easily, and like I mentioned...HUGE that he takes accountability when he isn't playing his best.  I don't know what else you could ask for.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The guy may not be the next Jesus or Brodeur, but I feel like when we don't completely sh!t the bed in front of him and leave guys wide open, he's MORE than competent to be the clear cut starter for this team.  He has his moments where he lets up stinkers, like anyone does, but I still love what the guy brings every single night - he looks poised out there and doesn't get rattled easily, and like I mentioned...HUGE that he takes accountability when he isn't playing his best.  I don't know what else you could ask for.

It’s just so tough to properly gauge young goalies. Maybe harder than any other position in sports. You can certainly see a true #1 there many nights, but between a terrible defense in front of him, and his age, there’s just a lot of inconsistency. 

My only real gripe with him lately has been his rebound control (much better tonight) and his abysmal efforts in shootouts. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s just so tough to properly gauge young goalies. Maybe harder than any other position in sports. You can certainly see a true #1 there many nights, but between a terrible defense in front of him, and his age, there’s just a lot of inconsistency. 

My only real gripe with him lately has been his rebound control (much better tonight) and his abysmal efforts in shootouts. 

Completely agreed, that's why I'm usually a goalie-apologist, because I think they often have the hardest position out there, and with all the things you mentioned (bad defense, his young age, etc), why I'm willing to cut him a little slack and give him a long leesh.  I have no idea why Mac seems to suck so bad in shootouts, but it goes back to it being hard because it's essentially you vs the shooter and, although some people think the goalie has the advantage, I definitely think the shooter does - he has the puck and he's the one who gets to make the decision - the goalie has to react (or better yet, anticipate) what's going to happen.  Maybe he's over-thinking it too much, who knows. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

9 hours ago, Devils01 said:

Thank god we have bratt and mercer otherwise this team would be a hot mess right now. Glad we got the win. 

Other guys have contributed...Johnsson, Zacha, and Hamilton, for starters...we'd like to see more from Nico of course, but he's managed to put up 12 points in his last 16 GP (I admit it, it doesn't feel like he's done that).  Zacha has just two points in his last 10 GP though...that's a bit concerning...not that guys won't slump on occasion, but I guess there's that fear that Zacha might regress again.  

Bratt now has 19 G and 42 A in his last 82 GP.  Pretty sure we'd take that from him going forward.  

• Like 2