GTD: Preds vs NJ Jerseys

jagknife

6 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

He's not. He has 8 points in 20 games and most of those came in a 6 game spell. His skating is just not good enough. 

I have more hope for Studenic and Clarke that Foote. Studenic has 10 points in 15 games and looks good. Clarke got off to a slow start but now has 14 points in 18 games. 

The thing with Utica is although they are winning it's being done by committee, chase De Leo is the top scorer with 15 points. And he is 60th in AHL scoring. 

Arsnye Gritsyuk is having an excellent season in the KHL. He might be the closest in terms of having an NHL imapct. He isn't elite at anything but he is good at pretty much everything. He has a good shot, he has nice hands , he can make a pass, he has developed a habit of stripping th puck as the other team is looking to transition just like Jack. His skating is above average and he gets involved physically. It will just be if we can get him to come over. 

Holtz will get more looks this year. I am still disappointed the Devil's brought him up for that stint. He has struggled since going back to Utica, and as expected it broke his rythm. 

Can we really say Holtz struggled? He is still playing practically at a PPG clip, and has 5 pts in 7 games since being called up.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No I hear you on that, more just pointing out that after several years of cap room never being an issue, that soon it will figure more into some decisions.  Devils could very well have five players locked up to more expensive long-term deals by the start of next season…maybe more if they try to jump back into the UFA pool again (or deal for a player who’s already signed for a while).  

The problem is if you have a lot of players locked up and expensive and NOT getting the job done. That's when you have problems

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The problem is if you have a lot of players locked up and expensive and NOT getting the job done. That's when you have problems

Well yeah of course, everyone knows that.  And though I like Nico and I like Jack a lot, right now they’re locked-up question marks…strictly being paid on what we hope they’ll become, as opposed to what they’ve actually been to date. There is definitely a chance that the Devils could become both pricey and not that good in the near future.  Not being gloom-and-doom…like I said, like both players a lot, and remain hopeful that 2-3 years from now, that we’ll be talking about how smart the Devils were to lock them up for as long as they did, and how they’ve both become relative bargains for what they’re bringing.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Agree, and that is the problem everyone is anticipating. It’s kind of a weird circumstance where we are talking about overpaying too many people while said people are not getting the job done. 

The passing out of $64 million contracts to guys with 55 career NHL points should be a very, very limited circumstance. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well yeah of course, everyone knows that.  And though I like Nico and I like Jack a lot, right now they’re locked-up question marks…strictly being paid on we hope they’ll become, as opposed to what they’ve actually been to date. There is definitely a chance that the Devils could become both pricey and not that good in the near future.  Not being gloom-and-doom…like I said, like both players a lot, and remain hopeful that 2-3 years from now, that we’ll be talking about how smart the Devils were to lock them up for as long as they did, and how they’ve both become relative bargains for what they’re bringing.

No i wouldnt say that everyone knows that. We have some "cap hell" denier on here lol like it literally doesnt exist. And while we shouldnt be alarmed just yet, we have reasons to be concerned at least

5 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

So done with hockey. We go out and get one of the best d-men and backup goalies and we cant win to save our lives. The Rags go out move one of their best young players and get a has been on Ryan Reaves yet they are leading the division

I would argue though they're in the fortunate situation of attracting top talent (i.e. Panarin, Fox) with zero effort just for being in New York. Carolina drafted Fox, not the Rags. But they reap the rewards because they're the Rangers. I will give them credit though for drafting Shesterkin. They seem to always have solid goaltending going from Vanbiesbrouk -> Richter -> Lundqvist -> Shesterkin. That type of luck is almost unheard of. Getting Mika for nothing was also a good move. Anyway, their recent success has everything to do with Gallant. It's interesting what good coaching can do.

Last thing I'll mention, not too long ago I remember being a Devs fan meant you expected success. Now it's almost the opposite. Somewhere along the way our organization's culture changed. Yes Lou destroyed the prospect system with his ill-advised trades and garbage drafting, but this goes beyond that. A loser mentality has seeped into the organization and it's proving hard to get rid of. 

Fox was drafted by the Flames…his rights were then traded twice, first to Carolina, then to the Rangers.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fox was drafted by the Flames…his rights were then traded twice, first to Carolina, then to the Rangers.

Got it, thanks. You get my point though... NYR attract talent like Fox just for being from New York. Ditto Panarin. Other areas though like goaltending I give them a lot of credit. They never seem to have bad goaltending. 

15 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Got it, thanks. You get my point though... NYR attract talent like Fox just for being from New York. Ditto Panarin. Other areas though like goaltending I give them a lot of credit. They never seem to have bad goaltending. 

Yeah, the Rangers and some other organizations have a sex appeal that the Devils likely never will.  Just a reality.

And they have definitely nailed goaltending quite a bit over the last several decades…including guys who left to get starting gigs elsewhere.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Funny enough I heard the Sabres should have tied the game last night but got the goal called back on an offsides....INCORRECTLY. This league = 🤡

Right call bad rule. Clown was way offside too lazy to get back onside completely half assed it and the Sabres put the puck in the net 30 seconds later. League reviews all goals under 2 mins for sh!t like that it's not a coaches challenge, easy call, bad rule when it's 30 seconds later and didn't impact the play. You're right clown league.

Edited by titans04

3 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Can we really say Holtz struggled? He is still playing practically at a PPG clip, and has 5 pts in 7 games since being called up.

Struggled for goals, which is what we need from Holtz.  For a guy who had 5 in his first 4 games he has only managed to pot 1 since he was sent back down I would say that's a struggle. His shots per game has dropped off, bar that first game back where he had 7 and he is currently on a streak of 7 games without a goal. 

19 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Right call bad rule. Clown was way offside too lazy to get back onside completely half assed it and the Sabres put the puck in the net 30 seconds later. League reviews all goals under 2 mins for sh!t like that it's not a coaches challenge, easy call, bad rule when it's 30 seconds later and didn't impact the play. You're right clown leauge.

I'm only going by what I heard, I didn't see it, but the rumor was the league apolooto the Sabres for getting the call wrong.

20 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Struggled for goals, which is what we need from Holtz.  For a guy who had 5 in his first 4 games he has only managed to pot 1 since he was sent back down I would say that's a struggle. His shots per game has dropped off, bar that first game back where he had 7 and he is currently on a streak of 7 games without a goal. 

That NJ picked Holtz not long after Raymond and Raymond has been killing it, not sure if he is hurt or not I saw he left a game early the other night, and Holtz is taking more time is... Frustrating. In a vaccume I wouldn't care, but when you add it on to all the woes we faced as Devils fans it's just another thing to add to the list.

I wish they waited to call up Holtz until Jack was back...just to see.

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

It really is amazing how they lost Richter to injury and then got Lundqvist in the 7th round or so. Then Shesterkin showed up right when Lundqvist was winding down. 

I wonder what would have happened if Frazee never got that skate to the neck or if Cory didn’t ruin his hip. I still think Blackwood has the potential but he’s not there yet. Daws and/or Schmid are a ways off. But it won’t matter if the defense is a mess

51 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm only going by what I heard, I didn't see it, but the rumor was the league apolooto the Sabres for getting the call wrong.

I take it back the NHL did a 180 since last night when I watched the broadcast live. My apologies.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32844604/nhl-admits-mistake-disallowing-buffalo-sabres-last-minute-tying-goal

Edited by titans04

37 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It really is amazing how they lost Richter to injury and then got Lundqvist in the 7th round or so. Then Shesterkin showed up right when Lundqvist was winding down. 

I wonder what would have happened if Frazee never got that skate to the neck or if Cory didn’t ruin his hip. I still think Blackwood has the potential but he’s not there yet. Daws and/or Schmid are a ways off. But it won’t matter if the defense is a mess

Frazee played another 8 years after his skate to the neck, including 3 in Albany. I’m not sure what difference it would have made. The injury didn’t keep him from the NHL, he just wasn’t very good. 

39 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Frazee played another 8 years after his skate to the neck, including 3 in Albany. I’m not sure what difference it would have made. The injury didn’t keep him from the NHL, he just wasn’t very good. 

He was never the same after the skate to the neck. I had a chance to see him play a few times in Albany and at one of the AHL All Star games. He was an entertaining goalie and had a style like Osgood. Definite throwback when most goalies had already adopted the butterfly. 

It would have been nice to see how he developed but his head was never right after that. Coincidentally i watched Schneider at the same All Star game and said to my buddy “I’d love to get that guy some day”. Careful what you wish for I guess.