Bernier to IR

Nicomo

Starting to feel like it's going to be "One of those years" for Bernier, where he's just not going to get much luck.  Sometimes that's how it goes...still think it was a fine signing at the time, and one that made perfect sense.

Not the worst thing for one of the Utica kid goalies to get a look...in a couple of seasons, it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that at least one of Schmid or Daws is up permanently with the big club.  

25 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW the injury from the preseason was/is a hip injury and he woke up one day and was not able to walk.  It went away after a while of some rest and an injection, but it looks like it is a recurring thing.

That’s a real bummer. I hope they don’t have to go with surgery. 

37 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW the injury from the preseason was/is a hip injury and he woke up one day and was not able to walk.  It went away after a while of some rest and an injection, but it looks like it is a recurring thing.

That's scary.  Hopefully it just needs rest.  We all know how hip surgeries work with goalies.

Aw man, really feel for Bernier.

Not sure who hates the Devils more...the hockey gods, or the refs.

3 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

We have bad luck. I liked bernier and hope he gets healthy, but It’s time to start lookin for another 1b. 

And by healthy, I hope that he can get around and lead a relatively active and normal life.  Seems like his future as a hockey player is very much up in the air.  

1 hour ago, pumpkin cutter said:

We have bad luck. I liked bernier and hope he gets healthy, but It’s time to start lookin for another 1b. 

With Rask coming back, I wonder if Linus Ullmark would be available. He has an above .500 record and a career .913 save which is very impressive considering he spent his whole career with Buffalo before this year. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

With Rask coming back, I wonder if Linus Ullmark would be available. He has an above .500 record and a career .913 save which is very impressive considering he spent his whole career with Buffalo before this year. 

Not so sure the Devils want to take on his $5 million cap hit for three years beyond this one.  They'd probably prefer that at least one of their goalies be a lower cost "from within" option.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not so sure the Devils want to take on his $5 million cap hit for three years beyond this one.  They'd probably prefer that at least one of their goalies be a lower cost "from within" option.  

I think this is probably right, but if you want a true 1A 1B situation, you have to pay for it IMHO. You're also paying Blackwood in Skittles, so there's that too. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think this is probably right, but if you want a true 1A 1B situation, you have to pay for it IMHO. You're also paying Blackwood in Skittles, so there's that too. 

All depends on how close they think one of those kids is.  Always nice to get some ELC extremely cost-effective years before writing the bigger checks.  Hate to say it, but man would it be nice to be able to pull off what the Rangers did for a while...years of having a top goalie, and constantly being able to find a terrific #2 capable of filling in as a #1 from within (and being OK with moving on from them once it was time for them to try to get starter money elsewhere).  Rangers really wasted some fine goaltending by not getting over the hump and winning a Cup.  

But yeah, if the organization doesn't think Schmid or Daws can be a good 1A or 1B at the NHL level, then they might have to pony up for an Ullmark-type.  You could certainly do a lot worse than him.    

• Like 1