Bernier to IR

Nicomo

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All depends on how close they think one of those kids is.  Always nice to get some ELC extremely cost-effective years before writing the bigger checks.  Hate to say it, but man would it be nice to be able to pull off what the Rangers did for a while...years of having a top goalie, and constantly being able to find a terrific #2 capable of filling in as a #1 from within (and being OK with moving on from them once it was time for them to try to get starter money elsewhere).  Rangers really wasted some fine goaltending by not getting over the hump and winning a Cup.  

But yeah, if the organization doesn't think Schmid or Daws can be a good 1A or 1B at the NHL level, then they might have to pony up for an Ullmark-type.  You could certainly do a lot worse than him.    

I would usually agree with you, but not with a goalie. If you want 1A-1B, and let’s be honest, in today’s NHL you do, you don’t bring in an entry level guy and cross your fingers. Either you know you have an entry level stud who can drop right in (we don’t), or you have to go out and get him. 

You can fill out a roster with a couple entry level forwards or a defenseman, but if you do it with a goalie, it’s going to most likely be bad news. 

4 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

After events so far, Carolina is looking wiser and wiser. Maybe they knew about his injury and just assessed Anderson as the best option. I still think he's a perennial playoff loser (Anderson not Bernier)

I thought trading Nedeljkovic was the crazy move, but Andersen has been more than solid. 

• Like 1