quarter of the season player grades.

pumpkin cutter

so far this is exactly what i expected. team trying to sniff the bubble spot.  as for players, here is my pro scouting grades.

nico hischier- C- not expecting much from him anymore.  i will be happy if he's a good zajac replacement. needs to step up.

Pavel zacha- B/C- i think he has another level. he's finally gaining confidence and i look forward to seeing his ceiling. he's no longer a bust to me. 

jesper Bratt- A+++++ I am biased and he's my favorite player on the team. kid is stronger on the puck then a 7ft 400lb man. 

jack hughes - B- he's going to bust out, but needs goal scorers around him. so happy we have him for another couple years!

damon Severson- B- he is a solid 2/3rd pairing dman. he's getting better at playing defense.

andreas andersson- b- he already outproduced last year. he, like jack, needs talented players around him. 

dawson Mercer- A- reminds me of blake, but better. will be the steal of the draft(not point wise)

ty smith- D- STINKS. seems slow and doesn't make the best decisions. Hope he get's better, but i see him as another butcher. 

jimey Vesey- b- he's a solid 4th liner. he's gone next year.

Mike Mcloud - d- Kid is in a rut. he's good at faceoffs though.

bastian- c- strong on the puck and will throw the gloves. he has another level i believe

dougie- A+- goofy skating, but can get the offense going. so glad we signed him along with player below.

graves- A- kid is a shut down stud and can throw a few assists. 

seigenthaler- b- he is ok defensively, but needs to shoot more! 

igor sharangovich- D- this was a tough one. Kid has the shot, but it's just not happening this year. 

Janner koukkanen-d- might be who he's playing with, but he isn't lookin to hot just like igor.

mr subban- C- he no longer has his offensive abilities, but has stepped up defensively. his ass is gone in a few months. i'm gonna miss him. 

tatar- d- He's had a bunch of chances and failed. He's supposed to be a goal scorer so that's why his grades low.

Bernier- B- injured, but when healthy was contending for starter.

Blackwood- C- seems to have a lil confidence issue.. when he's on... he on. 

thanks for reading my pro scout grades. 

Edited by pumpkin cutter

54 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

damon Severson- B- he is a solid 2/3rd pairing dman. he's getting better at playing defense

image.gif.9ff9c7ad33df1eb5a3c20cb2c6b2151e.gif

and I’m even a bit of a Severson apologist, but just no lol. 

Hughes is tough to grade playing so few games. Incomplete. 

• Like 3

Coaching staff: F (they're  lost)

Severson:  C- (brings boneheaded defensive play every season)

Siegenthaler: C - (big, non-physical D man who plays "just ok" defense) 

Nico: C (not what I was hoping for from a number 1 overall center thus far. Hoping he turns into Zajac at best is really shooting low)

Blackwood: C+ (when he's on, he's good. Throw a couple of pucks past him though and his confidence definitely wanes) 

Zacha: B (once considered a potential bust, now improving. Needs to shoot more)

Tatar: F (bad signing)

The rest...

Johnsson: A

Bratt: B+

Graves: B+

Hughes: A

Hamilton: A

Subban: C- / D (please do not resign)

What has Ty Smith done to deserve a D?  He literally could not be playing worse this year.  Pretty clear F for me 

Hamilton and Johnsson are the only two players that would get an A from me.   Bratt is close and Hughes hasn’t played enough games to make any type of judgement.   

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Idk what more people want from Bratt. 24 points in 26 GP and leading the team in scoring. That’s an A in my book. 

100% , I pray that this is finally the corner turned and this is him finally figuring out how to be successful long term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Just consistency.   He wasn’t very good for the first 10 or so games of the season.  

More like the first 5 games.

1st 5 - 0 points 

Next 5 - 2 goals 3 assists 5 points 

He’s currently 1st in points, 1st in assists, 3rd in goals, and 2nd in shots. 3 game wining goals, too. He’s been fantastic since right after that slow start. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

1st 5 - 0 points 

He’s currently 1st in points, 1st in assists, 3rd in goals, and 2nd in shots. 3 game wining goals, too. He’s been fantastic since right after that slow start. 

That’s interesting, it definitely felt like it was longer than 5 games. 

20 hours ago, Nicomo said:

1st 5 - 0 points 

It was more than that regardless of the points.   There were some other duds in there early.  Was it the Calgary loss where he was directly responsible for two awful goals against?  

Overall, I’m fine with him I just don’t think he’s been consistent enough to just call his season an absolute A performance. 

Hischier - C-

Zacha - B-

Bratt - A

Mercer - B+

Hughes - B-

Severson - C

Johnsson - B+

Smith - F

Vesey - C+

McLeod - D+

Bastian - D+

Hamilton - A-

Graves - A-

Siegenthaler - B

Sharangovich - D-

Kuokkanen - D

Subban - C-

Tatar - D+

Bernier - C-

Blackwood - C-

Nass - F

Recchi - F

Ruff - D

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Hischier - C-

Zacha - B-

Bratt - A

Mercer - B+

Hughes - B-

Severson - C

Johnsson - B+

Smith - F

Vesey - C+

McLeod - D+

Bastian - D+

Hamilton - A-

Graves - A-

Siegenthaler - B

Sharangovich - D-

Kuokkanen - D

Subban - C-

Tatar - D+

Bernier - C-

Blackwood - C-

Nass - F

Recchi - F

Ruff - D

I agree with these grades all the way down the line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

It was more than that regardless of the points.   There were some other duds in there early.  Was it the Calgary loss where he was directly responsible for two awful goals against?  

Overall, I’m fine with him I just don’t think he’s been consistent enough to just call his season an absolute A performance. 

Well there’s a ringing endorsement for the team’s leading scorer…

Hischier - B-

Zacha - B+

Bratt - A

Mercer - A-

Hughes - B+

Severson - C

Johnsson - B+

Smith - F

Vesey - C+

McLeod - D

Bastian - C+

Hamilton - A

Graves - A-

Siegenthaler - B

Sharangovich - D

Kuokkanen - D-

Subban - C-

Tatar - C-

Bernier - B-

Blackwood - B-

Edited by Devs3cups

Bratt - A+ - obvious here. Rough couple of games and great game after. Calgary game was a mess, but everybody have mess game. Someone doesn`t have any different.
Mercer, Johnsson, Hamilton, Graves, Siegenthaler - B. Siegenthaler is good this year. When he play simple - he is very good for his role.
Zacha, goalies, Bastian, Subban - C. I was consistent Zacha`s protector, but I can`t stand with his game this year. He was involved in game last year, but if he doesnt score this season, he is a shadow on the ice. THanks God, he scores sometime.
Mcleod - C- or D+ I don`t know.
Other guys - D.

Smith G---. 

I think most devil fans (me included) overrate this current team, & blame coaches for every shortcoming. .  There's nothing wrong with coaching staff.  they desperately want this team to start winning & it aint happening.  This team is mediocre, period.  Are some players a little getting better as we go along? maybe, but many are clearly not!  Is the team Fragile? Hell yeah. Has anyone "stepped up" this year?  We still are in the lower-most tier of this league.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I think most devil fans (me included) overrate this current team, & blame coaches for every shortcoming. .  There's nothing wrong with coaching staff.  they desperately want this team to start winning & it aint happening.  This team is mediocre, period.  Are some players a little getting better as we go along? maybe, but many are clearly not!  Is the team Fragile? Hell yeah. Has anyone "stepped up" this year?  We still are in the lower-most tier of this league.

There’s a lot wrong with this coaching staff. The players are CONSTANTLY out of position in the defensive zone. CONSTANTLY. That’s coaching. Don’t sit here and tell me these coaches catch no blame, because that would be flat horsesh!t.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1