GDT: Devils @ Flyers 12/14 7pm

Nicomo

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

This is also lovely, NHL needs to get their sh!t together with this. I don't get why their protocols are so bad that they are removing guys from the game who tested positive. Get the fvcking results earlier... 

Yep. Expect more Devils to be added to the list. 

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The issue is they sucked before they got sick, so they're not going to get the benefit of the doubt on this one. I am surprised the NHL was cool with them playing if so many of them are sick with something, covid or not.

I would think this scenario would continue to buy Ruff and his staff more time because clearly they're a handicapped team at this point.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

43 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The issue is they sucked before they got sick, so they're not going to get the benefit of the doubt on this one. I am surprised the NHL was cool with them playing if so many of them are sick with something, covid or not.

Correction, they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.  But there's no reason to believe this organization won't just peddle that excuse anyway.  Another season we get to blame on COVID, whoopee.  Maybe two-three years ago I might have excused a game like tonight and said ah they were sick, **** happens, but this organization's lost all benefit of the doubt at this point.  It would be nice to see someone, anyone say this **** just won't fly boys.  Whether it's a player, the coach or Fitz, I don't give a fvck...there's gotta be accountability from somewhere.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A part of me wants to give Fitz another coaching hire, but he sure seems content to sink with the S.S. Ruff right now.  

Do we even really know Fitz hired Ruff?  They were hired pretty much concurrently although Fitz was here before, he was only the interim till both were announced at the same time.  We do know Fitz didn't exactly let Ruff hire his own staff anyway, foisting one Pittsburgh guy on him and two-time loser Nas.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A part of me wants to give Fitz another coaching hire, but he sure seems content to sink with the S.S. Ruff right now.  

If he fires Ruff, do you really believe a new coach can make this team better this season? I don't. Talent Wins. The Devils lack enough talent on this team to make a decisive move for the 8th seed. Fitz knows this. So he fires Ruff for show. Get the fans in the seats next season again. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If he fires Ruff, do you really believe a new coach can make this team better this season? I don't. Talent Wins. The Devils lack enough talent on this team to make a decisive move for the 8th seed. Fitz knows this. So he fires Ruff for show. Get the fans in the seats next season again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brewskies said:

Agree but fire nas and recchi

4 hours ago, Brewskies said:

Talent Wins. Devils lack talent within the players and the coaching staff this season again. 

People can keep trying to defer to a lack of talent, but the fact is special teams have sunk this season once again. And there’s plenty of talent on a PP with Jack Hughes, Jesper Bratt, Dawson Mercer, Pavel Zacha, and Dougie Hamilton. It’s clear as day where the problem stems from. 

And the PK is even less reliant on needing top tier players. It’s much more about the systems being implemented, and how badly they’re not working. It’s literally the coaches job to correct that. 

• Like 3

Ruff was a genius for cancelling morning skate yesterday and saying they’re all sick. It was a brilliant self preservation move because obviously Fitz doesn’t watch these games, so he relies on his stacked deck of reporters to spoon feed him positivity and excuses while the team still looks listless and well into the realm of “yeah, we don’t care.”

Meanwhile Recchi is clearly using his “gameplans” as Stick diagrams for nASS to color inside the lines, but both of them are so braindead incompetent they keep buying the all black packs of dry erase markers.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brewskies said:

If Fitz didn't think there was enough talent on this team to take steps forward, he doesn't sign Hamilton, and on the other side of the coin, Hamilton doesn't sign here if he thinks the Devils aren't going to be better anytime soon.  This year was not supposed to be yet another "Maybe Next Year" kind of season, not to mention that it's the second straight season that the Devils have completely fallen off a cliff with The Three Stooges in charge, once December rolls around (EDIT...well, obviously no December games last season, but the severe dropoff happened at almost the same exact point in the season).  Like nicomo mentioned, even if you're questioning the team's talent, the special teams shouldn't be this bad...especially the power play, which is now a most dismal +4 so far (9 GF and 5 GA).  It would be one thing if the Devils were consistently competitive and losing their share of tough games where you could see them heading in the right direction, but they've been outscored 56-38 in going 3-9-3 over their last 15.  Too many nights they look woefully unprepared and disorganized...a good chunk of that falls on these coaches, who seem to have very little idea of how to get the most out of their players.  

I think if anything, at some point, the Devils have to say enough is enough, for once...it never fvcking happens.  Ruff tried the accountability thing for a little while, but if the guys trying to do the accounting aren't very good at their jobs, what difference does it make?  It feels like a major shakeup is needed.  I'd give Dineen a shot myself, as an interim...give him the rest of the season to stake a claim on the head coach position.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

People can keep trying to defer to a lack of talent, but the fact is special teams have sunk this season once again. And there’s plenty of talent on a PP with Jack Hughes, Jesper Bratt, Dawson Mercer, Pavel Zacha, and Dougie Hamilton. It’s clear as day where the problem stems from. 

And the PK is even less reliant on needing top tier players. It’s much more about the systems being implemented, and how badly they’re not working. It’s literally the coaches job to correct that. 

I’m not usually one to blame everything on coaching, but with the amount of guys that we have that have regressed rather than improved even just from last year to this year is crazy. Then when we had something going with the Mercer line, the guys were looking great, even Johnsson who we all had written off, they break up the line. We stop scoring completely, and they don’t put them back together. 

Almost every goal against (except the first one last night) is the result of a missed defensive assignment. We’re never in the right position. 

Our PP is weak and powerless (hehe), and the PK has no clue where to be at any given time, leaving a guy wide open in the slot every single time. 

This is not a lack of talent. This is a lack of leadership, and I’m not talking about the guy wearing the C. It’s the guys wearing the suits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, point said:

Yes, so if we all are watching and can see clear as day, why keep beating the dead horse? You can all keep crying on one another's shoulders if that is what you need. I just expect a higher level of discourse here.

In fairness though, just when we think we've seen the Devils hit rock bottom...the bottom gets to be a little lower.  Last night was incredibly rough, right from the first puck drop.  It's not always all about rational thought and staying calm...sometimes it is about sharing our frustration and raw emotions, and yes, many of us all venting and letting out our collective anger as a group.  I know what you're going for, that maybe all of us losing our sh!t isn't going to make much difference on the ice or isn't really constructive, but at the same time, posting what you did in that moment wasn't going to do much but irritate people who were already plenty irritated as could be and were reaching yet another boiling point, and who needed to let loose with those feeling the same.  So yeah, guess you can say it was a collective crying on each other's shoulders.  There are worse things...if anything, kinda nice to know that I'm not alone in my frustrations, and that I have Devils fans to commiserate with, feeling the same pains.   

• Like 1

The problem is the ownership and GM think losing, as long as you have a "young team", is ok and part of the process. They also havent seen a large enough dip in fan interest. So as long as that bullsh!t is in their heads, nothing gets fixed.

Fans will still go to the games and buy merchandise, they'll get treated to a top ten pick every draft to keep them interested while creating a party-like atmosphere that Fitz gets to be a part of, which again...makes the owners happy because it puts their franchise in the spotlight. So...my point is having a losing culture hasn't been so bad for the owners and suits. So, why change?

Just now, slasher72 said:

The problem is the ownership and GM think losing, as long as you have a "young team", is ok and part of the process. They also havent seen a large enough dip in fan interest. So as long as that bullsh!t is in their heads, nothing gets fixed.

Fans will still go to the games and buy merchandise, they'll get treated to a top ten pick every draft to keep them interested while creating a party-like atmosphere that Fitz gets to be a part of, which again...makes the owners happy because it puts their franchise in the spotlight. So...my point is having a losing culture hasn't been so bad for the owners and suits. So, why change?

I don't honestly believe they want to lose forever, keep drafting in the Top 10, etc.  I don't think this year going off the rails the way it has was ever a part of any acceptable in-house plan.

I do think Fitz is trying to be patient in hoping it will turn around (with good intentions, frustrated as I and many of us are), but it's really reached the point where he either tries to salvage the season, or decides to punt.  At this point, I'd settle for a friggin' onside kick...to me, that would mean canning the assistants.  If Fitz is that convinced that Ruff is the man to get the Devils through this, well, rough period, OK...not feelin' it at this point, but OK.  But I really don't see why there can't be a shakeup in the assistant ranks, at least for starters.  Though I get the patient approach and have often endorsed it myself, it just feels like it's become far too much of a thing in Devils-land...too much passive acceptance.    

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't honestly believe they want to lose forever, keep drafting in the Top 10, etc.  I don't think this year going off the rails the way it has was ever a part of any acceptable in-house plan.

I do think Fitz is trying to be patient in hoping it will turn around (with good intentions, frustrated as I and many of us are), but it's really reached the point where he either tries to salvage the season, or decides to punt.  At this point, I'd settle for a friggin' onside kick...to me, that would mean canning the assistants.  If Fitz is that convinced that Ruff is the man to get the Devils through this, well, rough period, OK...not feelin' it at this point, but OK.  But I really don't see why there can't be a shakeup in the assistant ranks, at least for starters.  Though I get the patient approach and have often endorsed it myself, it just feels like it's become far too much of a thing in Devils-land...too much passive acceptance.    

I agree, the whole “losing culture” thing is something that people have been saying for years through different ownership and different management. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

I think everyone thought this year would be different, Nico would progress, Pavel would progress, Jack would progress (and not be hurt), Sharangovich, Kuokkanen and McLeod would know how to hockey, goaltending would be less of an issue, we replaced the entire first D pairing with an All Star and a solid defender, etc. 

The only things that can be done here are a coaching staff change, and it’s also time to trade Subban. We don’t need him for a playoff run, it’s time to shop him and see what kind of value he can return. 

Im sure a….slew of teams will be interested. 

• Like 1