GDT: Devils @ Washington 3:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I can’t figure out what he was trying to do. Obviously he fanned on it but if he didn’t, he would have been lightly tapping it out into the slot directly in front of him. 

That's the worst part for me - like you said, he fanned on the puck, but what was the plan if he hadn't?  To me it's another example of where he was playing a pretty good game up until that ridiculously stupid play, and I feel like that's becoming a pattern lately.  Why can't the guy just play a complete shut-down game?  He's had many moments where he's looked capable, and then he goes and lets in a soft goal, or commits a stupid mistake. 

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's the worst part for me - like you said, he fanned on the puck, but what was the plan if he hadn't?  To me it's another example of where he was playing a pretty good game up until that ridiculously stupid play, and I feel like that's becoming a pattern lately.  Why can't the guy just play a complete shut-down game?  He's had many moments where he's looked capable, and then he goes and lets in a soft goal, or commits a stupid mistake. 

He has, but people have it in for him so they are acting like he has done stuff like today’s flub all the time. We have been through that, remember the season Kinkaid would do something like that almost every game, and usually in the first minute? 

I don’t think Blackwood is a superstar goalie, at least not yet. Guy has less games played than Jack Hughes does. 

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Jack has caught up with Zacha on points and is currently at point per game pace. 

Could just be making sure nothing is broken. Hopefully he takes some time off and is alright. Taking a puck to the face like that makes me wonder if in 2060 people will be asking why players never used full face shields like we do when we talk about the elders that didn't wear helmets at all.

Does feel like it's happening for Jack...keep in mind that he's basically been tasked with getting Sharangovich going, to boot.  Would really be nice if Holtz can finish off Jack's set-ups someday, once Holtz settles in with the big club.

Speaking of Sharangovich, he's somewhat quietly put up 11 points in his last 17 GP (7 G and 4 A).  It will probably be feast-or-famine with him...included in that stretch are 5-game and 4-game pointless streaks.  But can I certainly live with 7 G every 17 GP or so from him, even if he's inconsistent.  Not sure if he'll manage that without Hughes though.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Saw the entire game last night:

The more I see him, the more I think Blackwood is not the answer in goal.  Most nights he looks mediocre when the team doesn't have the luxury of having a goalie being mediocre most nights.

The extra rest time seemed to have done Hughes wonders.  Looks great in the three games since the long layoff.

Nice to see Sharangovich do better.  However, it is still concerning to me that his game really seems to depend on being with Hughes.

After Hamilton, Graves and Siegenthaler are our next best D-men.  Severson had a good game too.  PK stunk yesterday.

I am beginning to wonder/think that the team may be better without Tatar than with.  He seemed to bring down whatever line is he on when he was playing.

Zacha has pretty much gone back to being MIA again.

Last night is more proof that either Ruff's message is getting lost on the players or that the players have tuned him out already.  Either or it's probably better if the Devils moved on from him.

Finally, it was very interesting to see TG out-scooping Amanda on Hamilton's injury.  I get that she is a team PR spokesperson and must obey their wishes, but something like Hamilton is out of the game with a puck to the face doesn't seem like it would be something the team would keep a lid on as it happened on camera and we saw it.  Hell, even the MSG crew showed replays of it.  It's instances like this that makes me think it's less because she is under team orders (which I still think most of the time she is under), but also that she is simply a lousy reporter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Nice to see Sharangovich do better.  However, it is still concerning to me that his game really seems to depend on being with Hughes.

Not wrong, but this is EXACTLY what I expect out of a guy like Hughes. He's supposed to make the guys he plays with look better. 

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am beginning to wonder/think that the team may be better without Tatar than with.  He seemed to bring down whatever line is he on when he was playing.

I honestly completely forgot about him. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not wrong, but this is EXACTLY what I expect out of a guy like Hughes. He's supposed to make the guys he plays with look better. 

I honestly completely forgot about him. 

Yeah looks like he has that in him, but I'm reaching the point where I want to see guys who are more than up to the task of excelling with him...basically, if Sharangovich is asked to fill in on his line when guys ahead of him get hurt, OK.  But I'd rather see someone really friggin' good skating with Hughes, who will be a better bet to convert the chances Jack creates for him (and who won't need Jack to constantly prop him up).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah looks like he has that in him, but I'm reaching the point where I want to see guys who are more than up to the task of excelling with him...basically, if Sharangovich is asked to fill in on his line when guys ahead of him get hurt, OK.  But I'd rather see someone really friggin' good skating with Hughes, who will be a better bet to convert the chances Jack creates for him (and who won't need Jack to constantly prop him up).

Oh sure, I'd love that guy. And I would love playing with Jack to make HIM look even better. Get me a 70+ point winger and let Jack turn him into a 85+ point winger. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I gas him up enough that it’s only fair to also mention when he’s failing — Pavel Zacha is one of the biggest disappointments of the entire season. Just a total ghost.

I would agree that I wanted to see more progression from him after some nice production last season, but he’s still hanging in at just below a 0.5 PPG rate. There was a time lot long ago we’d all have signed up for Pavel being a solid 0.5 PPG third liner.