GDT: Devils @ Washington 3:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I’m kind of squarely in the “it’s too early in the season for PPG to matter much and I’m relying squarely on my inherently flawed eye test to make observations”

And the observation that I make is that he’s invisible in a way he wasn’t last year. Last year even if he wasn’t finding the net he was one of the most noticeable guys on the ice; this year it feels like I’m saying “wow thanks Lindy I guess you gave Zacha 2 minutes total out there tonight?” and I see he had the second most forward minutes on the team. It’s an unsettling trend.

why is “normal” them not producing? that’s a horribly pessimistic way to look at the production of your two franchise cornerstones.

Look at the tape...

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I’m kind of squarely in the “it’s too early in the season for PPG to matter much and I’m relying squarely on my inherently flawed eye test to make observations”

And the observation that I make is that he’s invisible in a way he wasn’t last year. Last year even if he wasn’t finding the net he was one of the most noticeable guys on the ice; this year it feels like I’m saying “wow thanks Lindy I guess you gave Zacha 2 minutes total out there tonight?” and I see he had the second most forward minutes on the team. It’s an unsettling trend.

Exactly this.  Was going to post a similar sentiment, in that it's not like he's suffering through rotten luck...or that he's even been that "almost" guy from past seasons.  He's just...barely there.  He has only 5 points in his last 19 GP, and sadly that feels just about right given his level of play.  Before that, he scored 28 G and added 31 A over his previous 84 GP...guys slump, but you're right, it's the WAY that he's slumping that's cause for concern.  It really felt like he was on his way to being a solid producer.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

You aren't wrong. He has been invisible. But outside of last year, its pretty much typical for him. The only time fvckface exceeded his expectations was the time I had to buy his jersey if he did. 

My girlfriend got to experience the devils game experience  blowing a 2 goal lead. In the 3rd period she goes to  me "Look they are doing great" I said WAY too much time in this period for them to blow the lead. So I got a I told you so in there. I was also surprised at the amount of Devils fans in my section. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

why is “normal” them not producing? that’s a horribly pessimistic way to look at the production of your two franchise cornerstones.

I agree on Zacha, and it’s not just the PPG. Zacha just from the eye test looks like a coaster of a skater. He’ll set up a decent scoring chance per game but other than that he doesn’t skate with any intensity. He’s the type of player Lou would never tolerate (even after drafting him).

His decision making has also been weak this year. We need puck hounds and guys who play with smarts and he just doesn’t fit into that mold. You don’t see a lot of Zacha-type players on winning teams. He’s Tatar 2.0

Edited by devlman

52 minutes ago, devlman said:

I agree on Zacha, and it’s not just the PPG. Zacha just from the eye test looks like a coaster of a skater. He’ll set up a decent scoring chance per game but other than that he doesn’t skate with any intensity. He’s the type of player Lou would never tolerate (even after drafting him).

His decision making has also been weak this year. We need puck hounds and guys who play with smarts and he just doesn’t fit into that mold. You don’t see a lot of Zacha-type players on winning teams. He’s Tatar 2.0

It’s infuriating when we’ve seen that he has the talent and the ability to create offense. I don’t mind when a player is putting in effort but isn’t getting results, but when the player seems to be coasting it’s such a waste of talent. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

I gas him up enough that it’s only fair to also mention when he’s failing — Pavel Zacha is one of the biggest disappointments of the entire season. Just a total ghost.

Maddening player. He’s the Damon Severson of the forwards. All the skill and physical tools in the world, but just can’t ever put it all together. And there’s really no excuse this year as I believe he’s been playing almost exclusively at wing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Maddening player. He’s the Damon Severson of the forwards. All the skill and physical tools in the world, but just can’t ever put it all together. And there’s really no excuse this year as I believe he’s been playing almost exclusively at wing. 

Damon is only 3 points behind him. That’s not good. 

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Guy has less games played than Jack Hughes does. 

That's pretty crazy, I feel like Blackwood has been around longer and played more frequently.  Looking at his stats now, in 124 games he's 54-47-15 with a 2.89 GAA and .909 Save %.  Not too shabby at all, especially when you consider he's played in front of some pretty horrible defenses to start his career. 

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's pretty crazy, I feel like Blackwood has been around longer and played more frequently.  Looking at his stats now, in 124 games he's 54-47-15 with a 2.89 GAA and .909 Save %.  Not too shabby at all, especially when you consider he's played in front of some pretty horrible defenses to start his career. 

.900 save% since the start of last season.  That’s pretty shabby…not entirely his fault, but I’m not as optimistic about him as I was a couple of years ago.  Hoping he proves me wrong…always nice to have homegrown talent come up through the system and eventually shine.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

.900 save% since the start of last season.  That’s pretty shabby…not entirely his fault, but I’m not as optimistic about him as I was a couple of years ago.  Hoping he proves me wrong…always nice to have homegrown talent come up through the system and eventually shine.

Very random, but for the hell of it, I looked up Devils goalie wins leaders. 

Blackwood just passed Alain Chevrier for 6th all time at 54. If he gets 11 more, he passes Burke and Kinkaid and will be 4th. It really shows just how few true number one goalies we’ve had outside of Marty. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Very random, but for the hell of it, I looked up Devils goalie wins leaders. 

Blackwood just passed Alain Chevrier for 6th all time at 54. If he gets 11 more, he passes Burke and Kinkaid and will be 4th. It really shows just how few true number one goalies we’ve had outside of Marty. 

Lots of bad to mediocre teams outside of the Marty era too.  Even good goalies (like Chico) weren’t going to win much, given the crap in front of them.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

schneider would’ve had a vezinas in his trophy case if the devils iced a playoff-caliber team in front of him. 

It's often forgotten because things ended so badly for him, but Cory was really friggin' good during his first three seasons here (2.14 GAA, .924 save%, 42.9 GSAA).  The fact that he was only 69-71-27 over those three years speaks volumes as to the "quality" of the team he was stuck behind.    

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

those numbers were made infinitely worse than they looked because of the quality of the defense in front of him, too. 

It's really a shame...he had a six-year stretch (2010-11 through 2015-16, his Age 24-29 seasons) where if he had been in a different situation, he could've easily won a Vezina or two, helped a team go deep into the playoffs, etc...I know that some feel that he was a guy who wouldn't make the "big" save, but not like he got many chances to really prove that during those six seasons.

Really feels like he was one of those "Wrong place wrong time" kind of players...also sucks that his prime basically vanished overnight, once he hit his 30s.  There's a lot of "coulda been" with Cory.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have tried to make this point about our current situation. 

I don't really measure goalies by wins though...I wouldn't get on Mac's case about his win totals...Cory didn't win that much during his first three seasons here, but he did play well.  Mac seems to see a lot of pucks elude him that seem relatively stoppable...I'm sure his numbers will improve on a better team, but I'm not sure if he's all that good.