Dougie Broken Jaw. Nico Hurt Foot. Zacha and Govy-COVID

mfitz804

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If your name isn’t Jack or occasionally Dawson, you don’t get much credit for anything on this board. 

Not really fair...I've seen Johnsson get lots of credit for the way he was playing earlier on (and no one's gotten on him despite his production dropping off as of late).  People are also giving credit to Bratt for what he's done after a slow start, to Hamilton, to Siegenthaler (who seems to be settling in), to others...it's not really that bad here.  When a team goes through a stretch where they win 3 out of 18 games (with some truly hideous losses in there), not like there's an abundance of credits to be doled out anyway.  

Re:  Brewskies' comments about last night, outside of Deadwood (who really did hurt them last night), they did about all that I could've asked them for...they were down a LOT of guys, and key players to boot, and playing against a team that iced more talent than the Devils had for that game.  Getting two goals off breakaways probably made the game look closer than it actually felt, but I don't know how much more that they could've done, outside of Deadwood giving up at least two less softies.  There's games where I've ranted plenty about the results/the coaching/etc, but outside of the most obvious culprit, I can't kill them for losing this time.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I think Vesey has fit in really well. Granted, I didn't have high expectations so his bar was low, but I can't knock his play or effort. There were games where the team seemed pretty flat but he showed up to play.

Definitely has been a nice surprise. He seems to have accepted that 3rd-4th kind of role pretty well. Given that his other option was playing in a lesser league, I guess that makes sense. 

On 1/4/2022 at 1:47 PM, Satans Hockey said:

This guy has been right enough to have me concerned. This absolutely fvcking sucks if it's true and Nico did block a shot last game so it probably is true... 

476B8E8D-F2B0-4A3D-8BB7-C9DF672B6DF9.gif

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If your name isn’t Jack or occasionally Dawson, you don’t get much credit for anything on this board. 

I feel i deserve a lot more credits than i get for pointing out for years that Subban was absolutely terrible defensively, never ever learn and about his slew foot/dirty plays. :P

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I feel i deserve a lot more credits than i get for pointing out for years that Subban was absolutely terrible defensively, never ever learn and about his slew foot/dirty plays. :P

Is there written proof of this? I mean, without a post being quoted, how can we be sure that ever happened??

• Haha 2
  • Shocking 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Is there written proof of this? I mean, without a post being quoted, how can we be sure that ever happened??

gathered a handful of evidences here yes lol I mean, there's a lot more as everyone know but it's just me saying the same thing over and over and over again through the years up to now lol 

Proof of mentions for slewfoot, diving, him not learning, him sucking defensively, him being difficult to deal with, etc etc all documented there for years lol

1279807690_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_35_52PM.thumb.png.64ddd83174031e95da27420b6fa60c9f.png250952236_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_29_51PM.thumb.png.0800815a3d3a3515c2ba619433d17d39.png301154142_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_40_18PM.thumb.png.5775020d3fc38f315b89e3965c7d0c9d.png517377236_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_52_29PM.thumb.png.6d1ead75ea1ff8e8c55a624674e46202.png1811370077_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_38_54PM.thumb.png.e1a1ca1909915469c42188c200ed816b.png415106297_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_26_30PM.thumb.png.14215e752e70866898929219acdf7cf5.png2079184140_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_34_08PM.thumb.png.ca7e7904e582db217630a9ff586b39ef.png

Edited by SterioDesign

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

mfitz was being very tongue in cheek and it’s borderline alarming that you didn’t pick up on that. 

it’s well known on this forum how much you despise PK, almost with the same intensity that you love Lou / are a LouLam apologist.

Oh no please don’t get him started on how much he loves and misses Lou!! 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of Lou, I see Palms and Parise still only have a combined 2 goals between them. Those signings are really working out! :lol:

Palms hasn't played since 12/16, due to injury (not like he's missed a slew of games, given that the Isles have played in just in three of them since then), but yeah, there's no way to sugarcoat it...he's mostly been a disaster since being dealt there.  3 G and 8 A in 42 regular season GP.  He did score 7 G in 19 playoff GP last season, but he's put up 10 G and 10 A in 61 GP overall as an Islander...that's just...really not good.  He should playing against the Devils on 1/13 (against the Isles in their new digs...I'm going to that one), but I've seen blurbs that he might start getting healthy-scratched if he doesn't pick it up soon.  Crazy to think, given that he's signed for three more seasons after this one, at a $5 million cap hit to boot.

Of course, one of the dummies at Pucks and Pitchforks tried to make it sound like the Devils were heavily rumored to want to bring him back, which is complete nonsense...it's all speculation of course, but the guess here is that Fitz offered Palms a year or two "Show me" deal due to Palms looking very meh for much of last season as a Devil, he and his agent wanted more, and Fitz said negotiations done, soyonara.  So with Palms turning in one of his worst seasons and looking like he's on a swift decline, Fitz is going to take on a $5 million hit for the next three years?  Yeah right. 

Parise is a different story...Lou signed him for absolute pennies as a classic "Well what the hell, why not?" move, and only for one season.  As we've seen, with quite a few of those "Wow this could be a killer bargain if..." kind of signings, you tend to get what you pay for...but at least with such a low-risk, low-cost move, the Isles can simply move on from him whenever they want...and to be fair, I don't think that Lou was expecting THAT much production out of Parise (though I'm sure it was more than one goal to this point).   

If what we've seen from Palms as an Islander is roughly what he's going to be going forward...yikes.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

mfitz was being very tongue in cheek and it’s borderline alarming that you didn’t pick up on that. 

it’s well known on this forum how much you despise PK, almost with the same intensity that you love Lou / are a LouLam apologist.

No wait you think he wasn’t playing along???

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I had completely forgotten Palms signed for four years. No idea why I thought both him and Parise were on one year deals. Oof

Re:  Palms, in the past I've usually been able to understand what Lou was going for, with most of his moves...but this one is impossible to defend.  For one, anyone who knows much about Palms knows how much he loves this area...so it's not like he was looking to make his services available to a wide swath of teams.  The Devils had clearly moved on, and I'm not sure if the Rangers or Flyers had any interest, so many options did he really have?  For another, who the hell was Lou bidding against exactly?  Was there a team even remotely willing to cough up 3+ years for Palms, based off his 2020-21 season?

Given that Lou could offer the one thing no one could or was willing to (a chance to stay in the Tri-State area, and play on a team that had just enjoyed two deep playoff runs to boot), he really should've offered Palms a one-year, $5.5 million deal or thereabouts.  OK Kyle, you have a bounceback year, and we can talk something long-term.

Just guessing, but the money that wound up going to Tatar...I suspect that was pretty close to whatever "Final and best" offer Fitz made to Palms' camp.  It was money Fitz already had included in his budget for 2021-22 and 2022-23, so he aimed a little higher in trying to land Saad, and when that didn't happen, it was easy to find a similar-to-Palms player, in terms of age and general production (and who would also be looking to bounce back off a meh kind of year).  

Their numbers are actually quite eerily similar for their careers:

Player Comparison: Tomas Tatar vs. Kyle Palmieri | Stathead.com

Palms (per 82 GP):  24 G, 23 A, 47 Pts, 2.42 SPG, 12.1 shooting% (as he got more of an opportunity with the Devils, his Devils numbers are better than his career numbers)

Tatar (per 82 GP):  23 G, 26 A, 49 Pts, 2.14 SPG, 13.1 shooting%

Palms has played in 637 games and Tatar in 657.  And going strictly by quick-glance numbers, Tatar has picked up almost exactly where Palms left off...in his last season here, Palms put up 8 G and 9 A in 34 GP.  Tatar has 8 G and 9 A in 32 GP so far this season.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tatar has 8 G and 9 A in 32 GP so far this season.  

He's been getting criticized a lot, and he did have 2-3 garbage time goals, but honestly, he is 7th on the team in scoring and third (with 3 guys tied for 2nd) in goals.

Did anyone expect more from a guy that was healthy scratched during the playoffs? Sure, he's getting $4.5m a year, which we know is irrelevant to us since we have zero cap concerns. 

Plus, the fact that people call him Tuna really pleases my high school sense. Ask my high school friend Anthony "Graham" Crecca. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

He's been getting criticized a lot, and he did have 2-3 garbage time goals, but honestly, he is 7th on the team in scoring and third (with 3 guys tied for 2nd) in goals.

Did anyone expect more from a guy that was healthy scratched during the playoffs? Sure, he's getting $4.5m a year, which we know is irrelevant to us since we have zero cap concerns. 

Plus, the fact that people call him Tuna really pleases my high school sense. Ask my high school friend Anthony "Graham" Crecca. 

He's a classic stopgap signing...you hope to get around 45-50 points per 82 GP from him (right in line with his career numbers), and then hopefully by then Holtz is ready to rip...Tatar might even be a guy the Devils deal off before next year's deadline.  Like I said, I think that money was initially Palms' to accept, before he was dealt...if anything, Tatar's deal might even be for a little less, AAV-wise.  

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I called the Palmieri decline a mile away, took a lot of sh!t from all of you because of it, and feel pretty fvcking vindicated right about now :P 

There's a decline and then there's going on milk cartons.  Wanna tell me there was a chance Palms could become a 20 G/40 Pts per 82 GP kind of player, sure, that can happen to a guy entering his 30s.  But I don't ANYONE could've seen the off-the-cliff nosedive his career has taken.  Like I've pointed out elsewhere, even though you had your issues with the guy, for his five years as a Devil, his overall numbers per season were remarkably consistent.  Last year they dropped off, but with NJ were still not too far off from previous seasons (even though he did look pretty bad, can't argue against that).  What he's done (or HASN'T done) with the Isles is baffling...I haven't been watching him at all, so I don't know exactly what the issues are, but to go from right around a 30 G per 82 GP rate over five seasons to a 12 G per 82 GP rate (from the start of last season, and even that rate is trending down), I don't think anyone could've seen that kind of dropoff.  Lou sure as hell didn't think it was going to continue.    

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Look at my posts! I absolutely called the nosedive even WHILE he was having productive seasons.

Yeah I know, but I still maintain that at some point you decided that you just didn't like the guy anymore and that he was only interested in a paycheck (no matter what his numbers were, which like I said, you can look them up for yourself, there's no real smoking gun during those five seasons that screamed "This guy is going to completely disappear!"), so it didn't really matter what his production was to you at that point.  Yeah, he had his share of wipeouts and the occasional WTF moment, and had flaws, but I didn't really see anything so horrible from him from 2015-16 through 2019-20 for him to get blasted the way he sometimes did (and to fair, not like you didn't have company).  He was a reasonably productive player on a cost-effective deal.  I still have good memories of him, and he was one of a select few who helped to make the Devils watchable through some brutal years.      

The good news at the end of all of this...Devils got his best years and got out at just the right time, and even nabbed a 1st-round pick and spare parts for him.      

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's a classic stopgap signing...you hope to get around 45-50 points per 82 GP from him

We have a roster FULL of people who won't get 45-50 points. If he does that he could be 3rd or 4th on the team in scoring. He would have totally exceeded all expectations. I would have thought you would hope for 30-35. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

We have a roster FULL of people who won't get 45-50 points. If he does that he could be 3rd or 4th on the team in scoring. He would have totally exceeded all expectations. I would have thought you would hope for 30-35. 

Not really in line with his career numbers...he's only a couple of seasons removed from a 61 points in 69 GP season.  He was on pace for 49 points over 82 GP last year (he did slump as his season wound down).  He put up 149 points in 198 GP with Montreal over the last three seasons.  I don't think 45-50 points is too much to ask...or another way to put it, I definitely think only 30-35 points from Tatar (provided he's close to playing 82 games of course) is too low of a bar to set.  

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not really in line with his career numbers...he's only a couple of seasons removed from a 61 points in 69 GP season.  He was on pace for 49 points over 82 GP last year (he did slump as his season wound down).  He put up 149 points in 198 GP with Montreal over the last three seasons.  I don't think 45-50 points is too much to ask...or another way to put it, I definitely think only 30-35 points from Tatar (provided he's close to playing 82 games of course) is too low of a bar to set.  

I would agree if he hadn’t just been on the scrap heap, essentially, after getting scratched in the playoffs. The chance that he might get 45-50 is why you pay him $4.5m, but was that signing made with the thought he would make an impact?

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

booooooooooooooo. you’re better than this! boo! i am booing you!! 

“decided i didn’t like him any more”? he didn’t sleep with my wife! i decided i didn’t like him any more because he stopped doing any single thing on the ice other than “get puck shoot puck”. I knew and repeated ad nauseum  “when his shot stops working, which will happen soon like it happens with almost every other player ever, he will be a useless hockey player.” 

you and i butted heads because you saw him with rose colored glasses and i saw him with poop colored glasses (i’m tired that’s all i got). but you can’t just broad strokes say “nah you didn’t really call it, you just didn’t like him haha nobody could see this coming” when it’s well documented that I absofvckinglutely saw this coming!!

I never saw him with rose-colored glasses, just appreciated him for what he was, and didn’t hold him to too high of a standard.  So many talked about how nice it would be to have a guy who could put pucks in the net…Palms did that…not at an elite level, but enough to be a borderline star for a while.  You did rip him enough at times that it did almost seem personal, even when still productive.  

Like I said, I didn’t say you didn’t call a decline, just not sure that you can honestly say you thought it would get this bad this fast.