GDT: Devils @ Boston 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He’s a young player and needs time to grow and yada yada

It’s bizarre they haven’t even given that line. It’s simply not even mentioned. Like the most crucial play of the game never happened.

Edited by devlman

1 minute ago, devlman said:

It’s bizarre they haven’t even given that line. It’s simply not even mentioned. Like the most crucial play of the game never happened.

I don’t understand it. Why in the world go behind the net there? But regardless, if Blackwood was even playing at 1980’s backup goalie level this would have been a win. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t understand it. Why in the world go behind the net there? But regardless, if Blackwood was even playing at 1980’s backup goalie level this would have been a win. 

Nah this was right at 1980's backup goalie level...two or three soft goals in a game, five total allowed.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Cangelosi calling it an empty net goal by mistake, hahaha! Just a brutal game by Blackwood. Three softies, it's just too hard to overcome.

I mean the last one was deflected off Mercer’s leg, those are hard to stop. But given his track record tonight…

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean the last one was deflected off Mercer’s leg, those are hard to stop. But given his track record tonight…

Yeah the two softies prior were bad enough, that last one really didn't matter much anyway. And the giveaway yesterday .... yikes. It's tough to see him play so badly. I don't think he's better than any NHL starting goalie right now. He's definitely in the bottom quarter.

8 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yeah the two softies prior were bad enough, that last one really didn't matter much anyway. And the giveaway yesterday .... yikes. It's tough to see him play so badly. I don't think he's better than any NHL starting goalie right now. He's definitely in the bottom quarter.

Hard to believe he still has more regulation wins than losses right now. 

52 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's such a canard...Panarin was just fine under Torts, same with the Tampa guys when they were young guns.

And it always ends badly after a relatively short amount of time with him. Players can only take him for so long. It’s been the case at every every single stop.

But hey, if you guys are clamoring for an old school coach that will bench skills guys like Jack and Bratt in favor of his favorite plugs, then he’s your guy!

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Btw Blackwood is now at .895 sv %. 

He’s approaching Keith Kinkaid’s last year in NJ level bad. 

Yeah it’s not good. I do believe he can improve upon it, but the last two games he’s going on the opposite direction with these gaffes. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Btw Blackwood is now at .895 sv %. 

Would have been awesome in 1985. Unfortunately it's 2022. 

Regarding Tortorella, I think he should be considered. More often than not, he got his good players to play consistently well. He helped make Vincent Lecavalier a better player. Things were pretty rocky between the two of them in the beginning. Tortorella benched him for poor defensive play. You want a coach who's not afraid to do that. And you can't be afraid that a tough coach is going to break Jack Hughes or Jesper Bratt like they're china or something.

Lecavalier and the Lightning is just one example. In Columbus, Atkinson and others bought into Tortorella's style. And they had success, certainly more than what we've had.

• Like 1

I still want Jim Montgomery. He won a national championship at Denver, so you know he can effectively coach players around the age of our core. And he was doing a great job in Dallas before his personal issues came out. If all that stuff is beyond him he’d be my first choice. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I still want Jim Montgomery. He won a national championship at Denver, so you know he can effectively coach players around the age of our core. And he was doing a great job in Dallas before his personal issues came out. If all that stuff is beyond him he’d be my first choice. 

I think he’d be a great candidate. 

• Like 3