GDT: Devils @ Boston 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I still want Jim Montgomery. He won a national championship at Denver, so you know he can effectively coach players around the age of our core. And he was doing a great job in Dallas before his personal issues came out. If all that stuff is beyond him he’d be my first choice. 

I’d love to get Monty out of St Louis and right this disaster. Question is will he take another HC job or is his (I think) front office job enough for now.

My main advocacy for Torts is he isn’t a players coach that will kiss their collective asses, and, when the team gets absolutely screwed, he will blow a gasket. Torts is great at accountability. He also benches talent when talent thinks it can drive victories on their talent alone, almost the Herb Brooks approach. You’re not wrong at all that he has a history of benching guys with skill, but also look at who it was: Laine who plays hard when he feels like it, and PLD, who did exactly the same. He’d change the culture, which regardless for better or worse, lets be honest it can’t get much worse than the pathetic sh!t we’ve been spoon fed.

I don’t think torts would be a death sentence for Jack cause Jack actually gives a fvck and plays his nuts off every night and on both sides of the puck. Jack is a consummate team player who pulls his teammates to new levels regardless of how he is personally playing. Torts loves those types of players.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I’d love to get Monty out of St Louis and right this disaster. Question is will he take another HC job or is his (I think) front office job enough for now.

My main advocacy for Torts is he isn’t a players coach that will kiss their collective asses, and, when the team gets absolutely screwed, he will blow a gasket. Torts is great at accountability. He also benches talent when talent thinks it can drive victories on their talent alone, almost the Herb Brooks approach. You’re not wrong at all that he has a history of benching guys with skill, but also look at who it was: Laine who plays hard when he feels like it, and PLD, who did exactly the same. He’d change the culture, which regardless for better or worse, lets be honest it can’t get much worse than the pathetic sh!t we’ve been spoon fed.

I don’t think torts would be a death sentence for Jack cause Jack actually gives a fvck and plays his nuts off every night and on both sides of the puck. Jack is a consummate team player who pulls his teammates to new levels regardless of how he is personally playing. Torts loves those types of players.

Montgomery is currently an assistant coach for STL I believe. 

As for Torts, I’ve always casually followed the Jackets being in Ohio, and I’ve just heard too much negative sh!t about the way he interacts with his players over the years. He gets results (for the most part), but it also comes at a cost. I think he’s much better suited for an older, more veteran team, too. Just like Zajac said he didn’t feel like he “fit in” with our young guys, I don’t think Torts would really be a good fit either.

Fair point on Jack though. I don’t think any coach could ever question his effort. 

But honestly it’s like you said, it’s hard to imagine it being much worse than the staff we have right now. I guess I’d be almost willing to give anyone a try if it meant cleaning house, and getting some new assistants. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

They’ll probably send Swayman down as he’s waivers exempt and keep Ullmark as insurance.

Ullmark has a substantial deal so you're probably right. Is Swayman a player worth trying to acquire? I can't help but think Boston will deal a goalie to get forward help. We could be a good match for a trade.

Edited by Jerrydevil

You know it’s bad when me, DM84, would take KK back as our goalie over Blackwood right now.  3 of the 5 goals against last night he HAS to stop.  He’s just terrible out there and while the D has plenty of blame (looking at you Smith) the Devils likely would have won if not for Blackwood.

If Blackwood’s heel the cause of this, then the Devils must put anyone in net until he’s fully healed.  I’m fine with seeing Gillies and Schmid for 2-4 weeks.  Devils are not doing themselves any favors with having Blackwood play as one of the worst goalies in the league, starter and backups included.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You know it’s bad when me, DM84, would take KK back as our goalie over Blackwood right now.  3 of the 5 goals against last night he HAS to stop.  He’s just terrible out there and while the D has plenty of blame (looking at you Smith) the Devils likely would have won if not for Blackwood.

If Blackwood’s heel the cause of this, then the Devils must put anyone in net until he’s fully healed.  I’m fine with seeing Gillies and Schmid for 2-4 weeks.  Devils are not doing themselves any favors with having Blackwood play as one of the worst goalies in the league, starter and backups included.

I’m pretty sure we could get him and pay him in Chipotle gift cards. 

2 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Ullmark has a substantial deal so you're probably right. Is Swayman a player worth trying to acquire? I can't help but think Boston will deal a goalie to get forward help. We could be a good match for a trade.

I think Swayman is looked at as Rask’s replacement when that time comes in Boston. My guess is they’d prefer to hang on to all 3 depending on Rasks future plans. If he’s hanging around for a couple years, Ullmark may be on the table. It’ll also hinge on if they believe Bernier can actually return next season. A major hip injury in your 30’s can be dangerous as we’ve unfortunately seen

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think Swayman is looked at as Rask’s replacement when that time comes in Boston. My guess is they’d prefer to hang on to all 3 depending on Rasks future plans. If he’s hanging around for a couple years, Ullmark may be on the table. It’ll also hinge on if they believe Bernier can actually return next season. A major hip injury in your 30’s can be dangerous as we’ve unfortunately seen

If it were me, I would be looking to find any way to not have Bernier on this team next season. Unless he has the mist successful hip surgery and recovery in history, it's not going to be good. I base this on his age and his position, has to be 1000% times worse for a goalie than a position player. 

If Ullmark were available, I would see what I had to do to get him. I wanted him last offseason, just based off of how well he played against us while in Buffalo. 

• Like 2

I think you have a better chance of getting Ullman considering his cap hit and the fact that Swayman is outplaying him slightly. But as mfitz said, you have to get rid of the Bernier contract in the off season for it to work. I also don’t see Boston doing anything until they see just how Rask does.