GDT: Devils vs Blue Jackets 1/6/22 7pm MSG+

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sadly it’s just obscure enough that most won’t get it, but seriously, could there be any stronger of a resemblance?!  As soon I saw him, right away I thought “Holy fvck, Kid Ray, even has the same mullet!”

For anyone not in the know:

AE35BAAF-6A02-46B9-A783-9CC6EE234CEB.jpeg

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And that's why it's going to be key very soon that guys like Holtz come up and become cost-effective producers.  If Bratt finishes the season with 70+ points, how is he not getting at least $6 million per season, for 4+ years?

Nothing against the Utica crowd, but it would be nice if they'd stop instantly going pointless upon coming up to play with the big club (not including Holtz in that category...I don't think he's ready yet, and he's still very young).  It's great (I guess) that the gaggle of 22-23 year olds who've been in the AHL have figured out how to fatten up down there, but would be nice to see SOMETHING from them up here.  

I Can't be too upset with the guys coming up from Utica for nor scoring. It's more frustrating that Boqvist has 3 points all season when he has had the relative stability of being with the big club. 

Guys coming up like De Leo go from being 1sr liners getting 18 minutes a night to scratching around for 10 minutes. 

Given the amount of graduates we have had from the prospect pool to the team, we actually look a bit thin on the ground in terms of quality forward prospects. We will need to focus there in this year's draft. Lambert or Geekie have me intrigued 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I Can't be too upset with the guys coming up from Utica for nor scoring. It's more frustrating that Boqvist has 3 points all season when he has had the relative stability of being with the big club. 

Guys coming up like De Leo go from being 1sr liners getting 18 minutes a night to scratching around for 10 minutes. 

Given the amount of graduates we have had from the prospect pool to the team, we actually look a bit thin on the ground in terms of quality forward prospects. We will need to focus there in this year's draft. Lambert or Geekie have me intrigued 

De Leo isn't who I was thinking of...I know that guy's never going to be a part of the future here, no matter how many points he puts up in Utica.  He's your classic "warm body" callup.  

Yeah, was thinking more of guys like Boqvist, Studenic, etc. 

And you are right, Devils are going to need to draft some legit fwd prospects (there isn't much with Utica at the moment, outside of Holtz, who needs time)...it is nice that Mercer has played well enough to skip the AHL at such a young age though.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

it is nice that Mercer has played well enough to skip the AHL at such a young age though.  

It is nice. I think if the team were built better it might have been a tougher decision, but when you are desperate for scoring, you can’t ignore his preseason and obvious talent, even for just a year. 

13 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

What's this weird "make a wish" project that the team has going to get Michael McLeod goals? 

I want Nico getting his goal at the end for a hard working display , not bumping McLeods stat line. 

Yeah i feel it was fine the first time to "break" the cycle. But then you don't want to become the guys that just scores empty netter that your teammates are giving you lol

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i feel it was fine the first time to "break" the cycle. But then you don't want to become the guys that just scores empty netter that your teammates are giving you lol

It’s the kind of player Nico is. I never shot at an empty net when I played hockey, I always found someone. 

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha he does look like him!!!!!!

I must give credit where credit is due...

That one was all me, lmao.  But mfitz was the first one to fully appreciate the hilarity of the reference...and the uncanny resemblance.   

BTW go back on page and you'll see a great Kid Ray and Geertsen photo comparison.  Geertsen recently chopped off his hair (for cancer), so looks like his Kid Ray days are done for now.  I used to have a nice thick head of hair like that...fvck nature and its unfair attack on my follicles.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That one was all me, lmao.  But mfitz was the first one to fully appreciate the hilarity of the reference...and the uncanny resemblance.   

I actually saw it on my phone when it was posted last week but I was a bit busy to respond.  I immediately laughed when I saw it because it's very accurate haha.

Now I want to watch that movie again.  I always felt bad for Mr. Darnell as Clark was always on his ass over nothing.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I actually saw it on my phone when it was posted last week but I was a bit busy to respond.  I immediately laughed when I saw it because it's very accurate haha.

Now I want to watch that movie again.  I always felt bad for Mr. Darnell as Clark was always on his ass over nothing.

"You give me the goddamn respect that you would want yourself, or I will kick your black ass!"  Can't blame Mr. Darnell for snapping like that one bit.  Poor guy seemed like his heart was always in the right place.

Apparently a number of inaccuracies in that movie...Clark's methods did indeed help to make his school safer and more orderly, but student performance while he was there was mixed:  Commentary : 'Lean on Me': A Modern Myth? : Taking Artistic Liberty With Real Joe Clark - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

"You give me the goddamn respect that you would want yourself, or I will kick your black ass!"  Can't blame Mr. Darnell for snapping like that one bit.  Poor guy seemed like his heart was always in the right place.

Apparently a number of inaccuracies in that movie...Clark's methods did indeed help to make his school safer and more orderly, but student performance while he was there was mixed:  Commentary : 'Lean on Me': A Modern Myth? : Taking Artistic Liberty With Real Joe Clark - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Yeah I heard that too.  He barely moved the needle in terms of student achievement at that school.  IIRC his tenure was pretty short there too and he spent most of his subsequent years doing seminars/talks/consulting on his methods.  As a law and order principal, he was great.  As for an educator he was meh.

Every time I think of that movie I always think about going to the DVD section in Walmart years ago.  Walmart likes to package these smaller movies into collections or combo packs with similar kind of movies.  Lean On Me was always packaged with Stand and Deliver as those two movies are about teachers/principals who went in and cleaned up the school by uplifting the kids.  Right next to it typically was The Principal/The Substitute combo pack which were movies about teachers who cleaned up the school by beating the crap out of the kids.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It was a masterful reference and I remain somewhat disappointed that I didn’t see it myself immediately.