GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:30 PM MSG, MSG+, MSG+2

MadDog2020

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Truth. He wasn’t THAT off. 

Was watching the Isles stream and they mentioned how long he and others were out early after they pulled Gilles and towards the end were off because of it.  Definitely made it out to be him and others being gassed.  Look though I agree you need to figure out how to have him out there.

But imo they (team from the coach down to every player on the ice) botched the last 2:21 with the complete lack of urgency. Not just the passing from point to point but dicking around in their own end and just wasting so much of the final 2 mins overall before "going" with what 30 seconds left?  Just getting the puck into the zone seemed to take forever, literally.  

4 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Fun game to watch no matter the outcome. Slow start but Gillies was solid. Rango on a 4-game goal streak. 

At this point I'm so conditioned to them losing that I'm satisfied with an entertaining loss.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

With or without covid and mutiple other issues, our defense is our biggest problem. 

Eh, the game winning goal was 100% on the forwards. It’s also pretty tough to win in today’s NHL scoring 2 goals. I wouldn’t really pin this one of the defense. 

33 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Fun game to watch no matter the outcome. Slow start but Gillies was solid. Rango on a 4-game goal streak. 

I knew Sharongovich would get it together at some point. His shot is just too good. I still think it’s funny a bunch of people here thought Koukkanen was the more impressive of the two last year. I feel like me and @Guadanawere the only one’s in the Sharongovich camp. 

Btw Zacha is officially back on my sh!t list. He’s now at 5 points in his last 20 GP, and didn’t record a single shot tonight. Talk about a fvcking passenger. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, the game winning goal was 100% on the forwards. It’s also pretty tough to win in today’s NHL scoring 2 goals. I wouldn’t really pin this one of the defense. 

I knew Sharongovich would get it together at some point. His shot is just too good. I still think it’s funny a bunch of people here thought Koukkanen was the more impressive of the two last year. I feel like me and @Guadanawere the only one’s in the Sharongovich camp. 

Btw Zacha is officially back on my sh!t list. He’s now at 5 points in his last 20 GP, and didn’t record a single shot tonight. Talk about a fvcking passenger. 

I was also never down on Sharangovich. I was surprised that he was struggling early, but at the same time, most of his goals last season weren't flukes at all, when he was in a good scoring position he'd put it in more often than note. So i knew that was in him, you don't just lose that overnight

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I was also never down on Sharangovich. I was surprised that he was struggling early, but at the same time, most of his goals last season weren't flukes at all, when he was in a good scoring position he'd put it in more often than note. So i knew that was in him, you don't just lose that overnight

Glad to see him making an impact again. He was atrocious the first quarter of the season. 

I’m done with Zacha. He gives zero sh!ts and his effort level is trash, night-in and night-out. You never see Zacha-type players on winning teams, you just don’t. His effort level is just flat out bad…and not bad for a sixth overall, just bad for an NHL player.

Honest question: How many of you realized he was off Covid protocol and played in the game tonight?

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, devlman said:

I’m done with Zacha. He gives zero sh!ts and his effort level is trash, night-in and night-out. You never see Zacha-type players on winning teams, you just don’t. His effort level is just flat out bad…and not bad for a sixth overall, just bad for an NHL player.

Honest question: How many of you realized he was off Covid protocol and played in the game tonight?

I wouldn't lose sleep if he was part of a trade package. He and Subban can go bye-bye. 

• Like 1

"Last year" Sharangovich was in Belarus camp, after that he did play in KHL, after that NHL camp, NHL season, after that he did play on WC, after that he was play with Belarus team in olympic qualification, and the last game was 29 august as I remember correctly. He has no rest and start NHL camp in september. He was absolutely lost physically in the beggining of the season, but now he start to gain his form and result is coming. I dont like his passing game, I think he isn`t great puck mover, but he have enough of tools and great shot. And I think he is good addition for our centers. Is he a core player? I don`t know, I think no he isn`t, but we dont have a lot of players with combo of his size(he must learn how to use it), speed, skating and shot. 
I dont think that 8 goals is a great result, but when he is on and play with Jack - he is scoring goals. Last year he was productive with Zajac too.
He scores 8 goals in 31 games, Hall scores 7 in 34. Lafrenier scores 8 in 37 games, Kakko 5 in 34. 

I don`t think that Yegor and Janne are on the same level of talent.

_____

The funny thing is Bastian success and impact. I remember some guys on twitter and on forums tell me that "this type of guys doesn`t matter" blablabla. They do. Always do. Hockey game is not the only about passing, scoring and saving. And this is how it works. 

Zacha thing is strange for me. I see how he lost his clicking. He was very productive in the long segment in the end of 19-20 season, last season and in the beggining of this season. But now I dont see enough effort from him. And we always didn`t. I think devils needs in power scroing winger in top-6 and Zacha is obvious candidate for trade\replacement. Ofcourse we have rw spot with Hischier, but I think longterm it is a place for Holtz after Tatar will gone. And like someone said - there are no successfull teams with lazy skilly guys in top-6.

Edited by Guadana

Got pretty blitzed last night, so I wasn't as clued into individual player performances as usual.  Was great seeing my nephew and bro though.  

The Isles' new building is OK...it looks nicer from the outside than it really is...I found the interior kinda bland, honestly.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

"Last year" Sharangovich was in Belarus camp, after that he did play in KHL, after that NHL camp, NHL season, after that he did play on WC, after that he was play with Belarus team in olympic qualification, and the last game was 29 august as I remember correctly. He has no rest and start NHL camp in september. He was absolutely lost physically in the beggining of the season, but now he start to gain his form and result is coming. I dont like his passing game, I think he isn`t great puck mover, but he have enough of tools and great shot. And I think he is good addition for our centers. Is he a core player? I don`t know, I think no he isn`t, but we dont have a lot of players with combo of his size(he must learn how to use it), speed, skating and shot. 
I dont think that 8 goals is a great result, but when he is on and play with Jack - he is scoring goals. Last year he was productive with Zajac too.
He scores 8 goals in 31 games, Hall scores 7 in 34. Lafrenier scores 8 in 37 games, Kakko 5 in 34. 

I don`t think that Yegor and Janne are on the same level of talent.

_____

The funny thing is Bastian success and impact. I remember some guys on twitter and on forums tell me that "this type of guys doesn`t matter" blablabla. They do. Always do. Hockey game is not the only about passing, scoring and saving. And this is how it works. 

Zacha thing is strange for me. I see how he lost his clicking. He was very productive in the long segment in the end of 19-20 season, last season and in the beggining of this season. But now I dont see enough effort from him. And we always didn`t. I think devils needs in power scroing winger in top-6 and Zacha is obvious candidate for trade\replacement. Ofcourse we have rw spot with Hischier, but I think longterm it is a place for Holtz after Tatar will gone. And like someone said - there are no successfull teams with lazy skilly guys in top-6.

That's the maddening part about Zacha. He has the skills, he's just lazy and grossly inconsistent...  1 goal in 17 games.

I'm not going to harp on him being a former 6th pick overall and who we could have gotten (*cough* Barzal) ...that horse has been beaten to death. But for a lazy person who doesnt give a sh!t to take up a top six spot, it's not conducive to winning. He could probably benefit from a change of scenery and the Devs need a forward who can score. Not a "sniper" who takes most nights off and leisurely skates around the ice. 

I’m past the point of going game-by-game with Zacha…I still give him the balance of this season to right himself.  If he doesn’t, I’m absolutely open to the idea of moving him.

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m past the point of going game-by-game with Zacha…I still give him the balance of this season to right himself.  If he doesn’t, I’m absolutely open to the idea of moving him.

That locker room needs something to shake them up. I honestly think sh!t is stale. Zacha could maybe use a change of scenery.

Edited by MadDog2020

37 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

That's the maddening part about Zacha. He has the skills, he's just lazy and grossly inconsistent...  1 goal in 17 games.

I'm not going to harp on him being a former 6th pick overall and who we could have gotten (*cough* Barzal) ...that horse has been beaten to death. But for a lazy person who doesnt give a sh!t to take up a top six spot, it's not conducive to winning. He could probably benefit from a change of scenery and the Devs need a forward who can score. Not a "sniper" who takes most nights off and leisurely skates around the ice. 

2015 Draft humor is some of my favorite:

On 6/26/2015 at 8:16 PM, Onddeck said:

I know he was injured but Barzal put up like 10 goals last year didn't he? You can't take that with a lotto pick cmon

On 6/27/2015 at 7:58 PM, William D'Aquila said:

Barzal was so good that he fell 15 spots.

On 6/29/2015 at 8:51 AM, redruM said:

Love this Pick, donot understand all the love for Barzal.

On 6/26/2015 at 10:25 PM, Onddeck said:

Merkley is Barzal 2.0. Wish we could've made moves to get him

On 6/26/2015 at 8:10 PM, ghdi said:

And are you convinced Zacha can't be as good if not better? Regardless of position.

Zacha's upside > Barzal. Barzal's ceiling is lower.

On 6/5/2015 at 3:06 PM, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

If we can trade down to 9 and still get Barzal i'm all for it.

On 6/24/2015 at 3:43 PM, SterioDesign said:

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/2015/06/22/new-jersey-devils-nhl-draft-notes-barzal-vs-zacha/

this article is saying that NHL comparison to barzal and Zacha would be Henrique and Lucic............... well color me underwhelmed if that's the case

On 6/26/2015 at 2:39 PM, SterioDesign said:

the forward we'll get we'll likely be our best forward in 2-3 years no matter what.

On 6/26/2015 at 7:59 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

You can't take Barzal with the number six. Just can't do it.

Maybe they could've traded back but.. I like this pick.

On 6/26/2015 at 8:02 PM, fsu1852 said:

Yeah you cant take Barazl at 6

On 6/26/2015 at 8:03 PM, ghdi said:

Can't be mad about Zacha whatsoever. If they weren't trading back he was the guy to take. Barzal is a reach at 6. 

On 6/26/2015 at 8:15 PM, Muevelos said:

He wasn't the best available and he's still on the board

On 6/26/2015 at 8:18 PM, ghdi said:

Then how come Barzal is still on the board?

There are not Zacha's in every draft. Find a 6'3 big mean bastard that can fly and has his shot in every draft.

Zacha was also one of the few players who actually gave McDavid any sort of trouble.

Honorable mention for us trying to trade up with 2 second rounders and Gelinas for the #8 pick. 

On 6/26/2015 at 8:42 PM, ghdi said:

The 2nds yes, Gelinas included, absolutely not.

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Honorable mention for us trying to trade up with 2 second rounders and Gelinas for the #8 pick. 

That’s some funny (and painful) sh!t to read.

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Eh win some lose some. It sucks but the draft is such a crap shoot (that we don’t win much). Both Barzal and Zacha pretty much went where they were expected in the draft and that’s what most people were saying, which is that Barzal was in the 10-20 range for a reason. Whatever that reason was, he clearly overcame it and made people look foolish for skipping him (including the Bruins 3 times). Zacha unfortunately is a lot like his agent Stefan. Loads of talent but major motivation issues. Such a waste

I remember people being ecstatic about Zacha because Crouse looked like a Conte wet dream and some of us were sure that was where we’d go

Edited by Devil Dan 56

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s some funny (and painful) sh!t to read.

Absolutely. It’s fun to go back and look at stuff. People state things so matter of factly and some of them don’t age well. 

There were many that were right on the money also, but those aren’t funny lol. 

• Like 1

If we did draft Barzal, we will not draft Hughes after. You can see Isles now - it`s great result to have two eastern finals, but they stuck. It`s not Barzal fault, but sometimes it is what it is. We could have 2nd spot in 2017 and 2nd spot  in 2019. Just imagine - Barzal, Patrick and Kakko. 

Devils were good enough on the draft. And it`s time to close the book and think about what we will do in the next draft or it is finally time to trade our first pick if it isn`t top-6 or something like that.

Parise with 5 assists in 25 games...against everyone else.  Of course he's scored his only goal of the season and added two assists in 3 games against the Devils.  I never really had much against Parise for leaving, but something just really bothers me about that.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Parise with 5 assists in 25 games...against everyone else.  Of course he's scored only goal of the season and added two assists in 3 games against the Devils.  I never really had much against Parise for leaving, but something just really bothers me about that.  

I did, because of the way he left. One year deal to showcase himself before signing somewhere else long term. Doesn't sit well with me. 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Absolutely. It’s fun to go back and look at stuff. People state things so matter of factly and some of them don’t age well. 

There were many that were right on the money also, but those aren’t funny lol. 

These were my favorites lol. Pure gold. 

Zacha's upside > Barzal. Barzal's ceiling is lower...

The forward we'll get will likely be our best forward in 2-3 years no matter what....

There are not Zacha's in every draft. Find a 6'3 big mean bastard that can fly and has his shot in every draft....