GDT: COYOTES @ DEVILS 1/19/22 7pm MSG+

eaglejelly

11 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I’m in complete agreement with you but even if they clean house what will that accomplish?  This is no different than the majority of the last 12-15 years or so, closer to 15.  What or when will anything ever change?

Hiring a competent GM (need to think about it) and head coach (Paul Maurice) would be a start. Then trade bums like Zacha. 

Edited by slasher72

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don’t hate all of the players by any stretch, but I hate this team, and I hate what this franchise has become.  Losing is completely accepted.  Really sucks to know that about the team you root so hard for.  

I hate everyone tonight, they quit on the game after the first goal.  There aren't many players I'd really give a second thought if they were moved or left at this point.

For the first time in my adult life the Devils are clearly the worst and most hopeless of my three sports teams, that takes some doing considering a lot of the beauts I've had to endure with the Jets and Mets.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

27 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

There’s a fourth one in the photo…even Shemp made an appearance tonight.  

Seems like the team just folded after Mac gave up that first goal. I honestly believe they have no confidence in him whatsoever. They had total control of the game and were playing great hockey in the 1st. They needed Mac to step up and keep it scoreless for the offense to keep on the pressure and increase the lead. He can't seem to ever do it for us this season. 

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Hiring a competent GM (need to think about it) and head coach (Paul Maurice) would be a start. Then trade bums like Zacha. 

Ok, start thinking and let me know by morning.  Hate waiting around for this loser of a franchise.  I’ll forever hate Gretzky for calling them a Mickey Mouse franchise but he is definitely onto something.

Impressed that it ended up only 4-1 to be honest.  I tuned out once the RU game started because I've seen this bullsh!t from the Devils all too often.

Embarrassing.  

Just now, hit the post said:

This team is as good at hockey as Biden is at being President........Both Focking pitiful

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

53 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I hate everyone tonight, they quit on the game after the first goal.  There aren't many players I'd really give a second thought if they were moved or left at this point.

For the first time in my adult life the Devils are clearly the worst and most hopeless of my three sports teams, that takes some doing considering a lot of the beauts I've had to endure with the Jets and Mets.  

I don’t follow baseball closely enough to really know much about the Mets, but who do the Jets have to build around that are comparable to Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, Dawson Mercer, and Dougie Hamilton? The Devils obviously have work to do to get this straightened out (especially on the goaltending & coaching fronts) but that’s a pretty good core that any competent GM should be able to work with. 

28 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Seems like the team just folded after Mac gave up that first goal. I honestly believe they have no confidence in him whatsoever. They had total control of the game and were playing great hockey in the 1st. They needed Mac to step up and keep it scoreless for the offense to keep on the pressure and increase the lead. He can't seem to ever do it for us this season. 

Do you blame them? 

32 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t follow baseball closely enough to really know much about the Mets, but who do the Jets have to build around that are comparable to Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, Dawson Mercer, and Dougie Hamilton? The Devils obviously have work to do to get this straightened out (especially on the goaltending & coaching fronts) but that’s a pretty good core that any competent GM should be able to work with. 

Do you blame them? 

I mean even if you're not totally sold on the QB yet (and I am at least more sold on him than I am any Devils goalie atm), Vera-Tucker, Moore and Carter is a pretty good start on offense at least.  They need to fix the D big-time around Moseley and Quinnen Williams but they at least competed 80-85% of the time this year, which is more than I can say for this group of sloths starting with - lifting from CR - Deadwood in net.  And at least the Jets have some level of accountability for guys who suck (aka Denzel Mims, and even Becton who got called out publicly for his injury/weight issues) while we continue to roll the same trash out there night after night without holding anyone to account.

What do all those names (with the exception of Hamilton who wasn't here) do when you continue to have games like tonight where the team is less than the supposed sum of their parts offensively?  What has Mercer done in the last two months since Bratt got taken off his line?  Of course Hughes magically now looks like the star Mercer did early in the season, with the common denominator being Bratt making their line go.  And he's on a bridge deal presumably because he wants to cash out at the end of it, and it's clearly going to work, he'll cash out.  Whether it's from us is another question, especially since only the owners know if there's an internal budget or not.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean even if you're not totally sold on the QB yet (and I am at least more sold on him than I am any Devils goalie atm), Vera-Tucker, Moore and Carter is a pretty good start on offense at least.  They need to fix the D big-time around Moseley and Quinnen Williams but they at least competed 80-85% of the time this year, which is more than I can say for this group of sloths starting with - lifting from CR - Deadwood in net.

What do all those names (with the exception of Hamilton who wasn't here) do when you continue to have games like tonight where the team is less than the supposed sum of their parts offensively?  What has Mercer done in the last two months since Bratt got taken off his line?  Of course Hughes magically now looks like the star Mercer did early in the season, with the common denominator being Bratt making their line go.  And he's on a bridge deal presumably because he wants to cash out at the end of it, and it's clearly going to work, he'll cash out.  Whether it's from us is another question since god only knows if there's an internal budget or not.

Well, I’d typically argue it’s much harder to find a true franchise QB than it is a decent starting goalie, but the Devils have certainly proved that’s not always the case in recent years. Schneider was ofc not even drafted by NJ, so with the jury stil out on Blackwood (I unfortunately have a pretty good idea about the verdict at this point) we’re talking about Marty being the last true #1 goalie they’ve actually found for themselves. Which is pretty unbelievable. 

Personally I’m not sold on Zach Wilson, but it’s super early, and all the QB’s in that draft class outside of Mac Jones have looked like trash so far. So who knows. 

Surprised you didn’t mention Becton. I liked him a lot coming out of Louisville, and it seemed like he had a really good rookie year (I’m not a Jets fan btw so I’m not following any of these guys closely).

Fair point on Mercer slowing down a bit since being taken off Bratt’s line. I do disagree with Jack “magically” playing better now only because he’s with Jesper though. Jack drug around guys like Sharongovich and Koukkanen last season, and still played at a high level. 

And speaking of Bratt’s deal, Fitz allowing him to walk would be the final nail in the coffin for him as far as I’m concerned. He’s a must sign guy, imo. 

54 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Do you blame them? 

Absolutely not. Mac hasn't been able to steal a game. I wouldn't trust him either.

33 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, I’d typically argue it’s much harder to find a true franchise QB than it is a decent starting goalie, but the Devils have certainly proved that’s not always the case in recent years. Schneider was ofc not even drafted by NJ, so with the jury stil out on Blackwood (I unfortunately have a pretty good idea about the verdict at this point) we’re talking about Marty being the last true #1 goalie they’ve actually found for themselves. Which is pretty unbelievable. 

Personally I’m not sold on Zach Wilson, but it’s super early, and all the QB’s in that draft class outside of Mac Jones have looked like trash so far. So who knows. 

Surprised you didn’t mention Becton. I liked him a lot coming out of Louisville, and it seemed like he had a really good rookie year (I’m not a Jets fan btw so I’m not following any of these guys closely).

Fair point on Mercer slowing down a bit since being taken off Bratt’s line. I do disagree with Jack “magically” playing better now only because he’s with Jesper though. Jack drug around guys like Sharongovich and Koukkanen last season, and still played at a high level. 

And speaking of Bratt’s deal, Fitz allowing him to walk would be the final nail in the coffin for him as far as I’m concerned. He’s a must sign guy, imo. 

Becton missed the whole year basically due to an injury that was supposed to be a 6-8 week deal, and was called out for his weight being an issue in not being able to rehab.  He's basically our Zion Williamson at this point, a unicorn whose body may not allow him to play.  Plus even before he got hurt he got punked by Carl Lawson repeatedly in camp.  But at least they were willing to hold him accountable, and he was their top pick too.  I have more confidence in Wilson just due to the fact he didn't turn the ball over his last several games, and he was playing with nobody in the lineup either at the end of the season.  He was at least making better decisions and being more accurate on his five-yard throws.  Of course I saw good stretches from Darnold too so I'm not exactly totally sold yet, but I digress.

Sharangovich and Kuokkanen struggling this year does make Hughes look better, but still this is really the first prolonged stretch he's consistently shown star quality play and it's not like he never played with Bratt or other semi-decent wingers before.

Edited by NJDevs4978

12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Sharangovich and Kuokkanen struggling this year does make Hughes look better, but still this is really the first prolonged stretch he's consistently shown star quality play and it's not like he never played with Bratt or other semi-decent wingers before.

Has he though? Off the top of my head he’s played with the corpse of Wayne Simmonds, Miles Wood (nice player but a bottom 6 guy let’s be honest), Kyle Palmieri who has a total of 11 goals since the 2019-20 season, Yegor Sharongovich, Janne Kuokkanen, and ofc the stretch where Ruff brilliantly played him out of position on Nico’s wing…

I’d argue this season with Bratt is the first time he’s actually been given a good winger to play with. And to no one’s surprise they complement each other’s styles really well. Bratt is one of the only players on the team who can keep up with Jack’s skating. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Has he though? Off the top of my head he’s played with the corpse of Wayne Simmonds, Miles Wood (nice player but a bottom 6 guy let’s be honest), Kyle Palmieri who has a total of 11 goals since the 2019-20 season, Yegor Sharongovich, Janne Kuokkanen, and ofc the stretch where Ruff brilliantly played him out of position on Nico’s wing…

I’d argue this season with Bratt is the first time he’s actually been given a good winger to play with. And to no one’s surprise they complement each other’s styles really well. Bratt is one of the only players on the team who can keep up with Jack’s skating. 

Bratt also got a turbo-charged performance out of freaking Johnsson and rookie Mercer, who haven't really produced with anyone else while Hughes hasn't had that effect on anyone else.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Bratt also got a turbo-charged performance out of freaking Johnsson and rookie Mercer, who haven't really produced with anyone else while Hughes hasn't had that effect on anyone else.

Sharongovich scored 16 goals in 54 GP playing on Jack’s wing. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Sharongovich scored 16 goals in 54 GP playing on Jack’s wing. 

Sharangovich had 16 goals and 30 points last year.  He has 8 goals and 15 points in 31 games this year.  Not really that big a difference, that's basically the same numbers over 62 games without Jack this year.

Johnsson was a total bum last year and hasn't scored in almost the last two months this year, but he was a point a game guy scoring all over the place with Bratt.  I'm just saying the winger excuse only goes so far when you see another guy clearly having an impact with the same suspect group of wingers.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Sharangovich had 16 goals and 30 points last year.  He has 8 goals and 15 points in 31 games this year.  Not really that big a difference, that's basically the same numbers over 62 games without Jack this year.

I guess. Anyway, Jack and Bratt are obviously both playing really well this season. One guy is 23 and the other is only 20. That was pretty much my whole point that started this. There’s some really nice young pieces to build around.