GDT: COYOTES @ DEVILS 1/19/22 7pm MSG+

eaglejelly

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, let’s blame the guy that’s leading the team in points and setup our only goal…

my god the lengths a few of you will go to defend this scrub in net 

It's possible to praise a guy for his achievements and criticize him for his mistakes....you do know that, right?  Bratt's one of our best players, no doubt about it, but the fact of the matter is that first goal was allowed because, for whatever reason, he was in front of Blackwood along with a Coyote player who screened him.  That really is the better question - why was in front of the net playing defense?  If you tell me it's because our defenders suck and were out of position and he was covering for them, that I'll believe, and it further illustrates that we have a systemic problem up front, and not all of it lands squarely on the guy between the pipes.

Blackwood hasn't been good by any stretch, but just like you think I like to defend him, it's REALLLLLY easy to point the finger at the guy who is the last line of defense, instead of analyzing the other 18 guys on the bench.

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The defense has got to clear the front better but at some point your goalie needs to make some saves. Not every save is going to be a routine shot that you can track all the way. He’s gotta find a way. He looks befuddled after every shot. 

Definitely agreed about being able to make difficult saves, and I think he's proven that on some occasions - it's not like highlights of him bailing out the defense don't exist.  I think he also looks befuddled a lot because, unfortunately, he's wondering how/why certain pucks got by him because they're either tips and deflections, screens, or at the very worst, guys who are wide the fvck open in front of him. If I was him I'd be looking around like "wtf guys?" after most of the goals too.  

I also don't think Blackwood is a guy who doesn't take accountability.  He's done a few interviews and admitted he needs to be better, which I appreciate.  

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The defense has got to clear the front better but at some point your goalie needs to make some saves. Not every save is going to be a routine shot that you can track all the way. He’s gotta find a way. He looks befuddled after every shot. 

Exactly. So tired of hearing well this happened or that happened. STOP the fvcking puck!

That setup from Jack to Bratt that dude stopped would have had the same couple people making excuses if that was on Mac and it went it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

A week of practice and this is our result? Just wow. 

What did you expect with the Loser Trio running the show?  

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

This Sucks Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Every year I think the team is going to be better and every year I am both disappointed and surprised.

Of all of the rock bottoms we’ve experienced in recent seasons…this feels like the rock-bottomest.  I’m just so pissed.  Especially since I know not one goddamn thing will change.

Gotta admit, if the Devils pull off a big-time comeback, this post won’t age that well…but I’ve just fvcking had it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Definitely agreed about being able to make difficult saves, and I think he's proven that on some occasions - it's not like highlights of him bailing out the defense don't exist.  I think he also looks befuddled a lot because, unfortunately, he's wondering how/why certain pucks got by him because they're either tips and deflections, screens, or at the very worst, guys who are wide the fvck open in front of him. If I was him I'd be looking around like "wtf guys?" after most of the goals too.  

I also don't think Blackwood is a guy who doesn't take accountability.  He's done a few interviews and admitted he needs to be better, which I appreciate.  

I agree that he’s not getting any help. The defense is poop, and additionally this is the second year in a row that a veteran goalie was supposed to form a 1a/1b tandem and it didn’t  work out. He’s been thrown to the wolves most of his career. He’s risen to the occasion many times but recently he seems to be regressing 

At some point I just want to see him rise above it. At this point, there are 40 NHL goalies with at least 15 games. Only 4 have worse save %’s than Blackwood.

And I’m not trying to pile on him, I’ve been a Blackwood defender plenty. I’m always going to give the goalie the benefit of the doubt. But ugh. 3 goals on 8 shots? He just has to figure it out or Fitz has to find a veteran to help out. 

• Like 1