Draft 2022 - Lottery - Devils get second pick!

Guadana

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Yeah. Lambert is great. Especially his father, who take his word every time when he wasn`t asked. (khm khm PZ). He create A LOT of points, oops, that was Kemmel from the same team\same age, and Lambert achived nothing as offensive minded player. WIth every red flags of offensive minded player(bad diffensively, lost phiysicaly etc), with absolutely bad shot technique\makin decision. Great add for our top-6. We need more softies!
But yeah, like a driver he is good. 

reread and rethink.

______

Juraj Slafkovsky

Height 192 cm / 6'4"
Weight 102 kg / 225 lbs
Shoots L

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/527423/juraj-slafkovsky - stats

Let`s start from his speed. If you watch him in the game you can`t say he is slow or he is fast. His cruising speed is avarage. He work with the steam of the game, he is involved, but he isn`t faster. He can create speed on the breakaway, but he isn`t the guy, who will force every opponent. He can create speed "there", but will not add speed "after".
On the other hand I`m very exited about his zone workin. From what I saw he workin in the game, sometimes miss his player, but he is much mire involved in two way game, workin on the 200 foot. And doesn`t lose the race.

Skating overall is good, puckhandling is great. He is a big guy and he skates like a good skater, not great, but good enough.

I think he has GREAT compete level. I think he will be good NHL player. Good hockey iq for the man of his size. Good two way game for his size. He play against, change opponents when situation ask him, work with defensive zones, he is pretty good playmaker, his puckhandling and body helps him to protect the puck and he use it for finding his partners.

About his wing game. And this is a hard word from me. I cant say that I like how he create space for his own shot. If we want power winger for our centers, we must wait something like... Nolan Foote with good skating and speed. Juraj can create speed and I like how he protect the puck in breakaways, but I didn`t see this... menthal work, what you can see from scoring winger, when they standing here and there and focus on defensemen, and when defenseman lose attention, they immidietly change their position. Or actively fighting for open space, goin on the slot and workin on it. He play a lot on the perimetr. I want to see very egoistiс game from winger, but I think Juraj is too much altruistic. With his size and foote work he could(and must) fight for the spot, find a way to score on rebounds, close the vision for a goalie, play on the redirects.

How he is working with rediraction? I didn`t see any attempt from him.

I understand that he is good passer, he is watching ice very well. And I think he has enough to be good playmakin winger. I like his board work, how he protect the puck. I didn`t see enough drive from him, but I think he has good potential in this aspect. Because of his size, puck protection and skating.

But I didn`t see enough... what I want. Devils needs in SHOOT FIRST player. And I think you can agree with it. The most consistent workers on the slot are Sharangovich(and I don`t think he is good enough in that kind of play), Bastian and Wood. And Nico. That`s bad. Yegor must be better, Bastian and Wood are good hockey players, but they are bottom line players.
We don`t have enough... rebounders. And players who can redirect the puck. We`v got Subban, Hamilton, even Severson, Graves and Smith. They all can make pre-redirection play. But who try to make rediraction on regulary basis? I think only Johnsson.
And it`s a problem. And I don`t see how Slafkovsky can solve it. I don`t see how he can solve the problem of slot work. And it bother me, because he has size to make it.

His u-20 production is pretty good enough, but he didn`t score enough. And(like Lambert) he score nothing on adult level. 

May be, I say may be, he is very good potential partner for Nico. To make boards play and two way work to help Nico score more. And his passing abuility can help Nico to focus on scoring(I do really think Nico has 30+ goals potential with good two way winger). But I dont think he can help Jack enough. He works on the boards and along the boards, but I want to see more "cutting knife" work from winger, who play with Jack.

You can say this is Zacha 2.0. Big czech player. But they are absolutely different. Zacha is pretty fast player with great shot and absolutely nothing as 200 foot player, Slafkovsky is a very good two way winger, with good board work, but isn`t great scorer with avarage shot. I think his summ of his skills is better to help team to play good every minute on the ice, but if you want some scoring - this is not your man. At least for now. He has good hands, he is great puckhandler and can score on breakaways, but in NHL I think players have 1-2 chances on breakaways in 2-3 games, and some of this chances NHL goalies will stop. 10-15-20 goals isn`t a level you wait from the winger from top-6 on the draft. Especially for the Devils, where is a lack of consistent goal scorers.

But this is only vision. I do really think he is a great player who looks like he can grow on himself. He is smart, compete, involved in the game and make a real impact in the game on the both ends on the ice.

So not keen on Lambert then? Lol. 

He is interesting because of the potential. He shows flashes of great skill. But as you say more than one scout has concerns so he is a risk. 

Looking forward to seeing Slafkovsky at the Olympics. 

32 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

So not keen on Lambert then? Lol. 

He is interesting because of the potential. He shows flashes of great skill. But as you say more than one scout has concerns so he is a risk. 

Looking forward to seeing Slafkovsky at the Olympics. 

"Shows flashes of great skill". Nice. Good comprehensive argument.  
I don`t think, that his "father story" is a big problem, but for someone it`s a flag. For me there are a lot of another more valuable red flags in his game, I did mentioned. A tonn of them.

Slafkovsky is very interesting and intriguing prospect for me. I`m not done(like with Lambert, no matter how he will or will ot show flashes) with Slafkovsky. Players with combination of his skills are rare. I want to see more net oriented game from him. And with him I will ok if he will show flashes in that categort because of his compete level. If he will upgrade his scoring and clutch game - he will be one of my main candidates. I`m not ready to call him now.

Edited by Guadana

11 minutes ago, Guadana said:

"Shows flashes of great skill". Nice. Good comprehensive argument.  
I don`t think, that his "father story" is a big problem, but for someone it`s a flag. For me there are a lot of another more valuable red flags in his game, I did mentioned. A tonn of them.

Slafkovsky is very interesting and intriguing prospect for me. I`m not done(like with Lambert, no matter how he will or will ot show flashes) with Slafkovsky. Players with combination of his skills are rare. I want to see more net oriented game from him. And with him I will ok if he will show flashes in that categort because of his compete level. If he will upgrade his scoring and clutch game - he will be one of my main candidates. I`m not ready to call him now.

Seriously man , I am not advocating for or against him , I just said he was interesting. I would take your opinion over most others on this board because I know this is your thing. 

I think you have been in too many back and forths with others on here lately 🤣 not everyone is here for the arguments . 

10 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Seriously man , I am not advocating for or against him , I just said he was interesting. I would take your opinion over most others on this board because I know this is your thing. 

I think you have been in too many back and forths with others on here lately 🤣 not everyone is here for the arguments . 

Sometimes I overdo it. yeah.

But, gddmn I don`t like Lambert =-D

24 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Sometimes I overdo it. yeah.

But, gddmn I don`t like Lambert =-D

From my calculations and what I’ve read, Lambert is shooting 2.7% on the season (2 goals, 75 shots). He shot 6.4% last year as a 17 year old, with 110 shots in basically 2x the number of games. Seems like he’s shooting a lot. Do you believe that this shooting % is in some sort unsustainable with the amount of shots he’s putting on net? Maybe a little unlucky also? 

I’m not the biggest Lambert fan, but I thought that was interesting and wanted to hear your thoughts on this.

Edited by Devs3cups

3 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

From my calculations and what I’ve read, Lambert is shooting 2.7% on the season (2 goals, 75 shots). He shot 6.4% last year as a 17 year old, with 110 shots in basically 2x the number of games. Seems like he’s shooting a lot. Do you believe that this shooting % is in some sort unsustainable with the amount of shots he’s putting on net? Maybe a little unlucky also? 

I’m not the biggest Lambert fan, but I thought that was interesting and wanted to hear your thoughts on this.

I think he will upgrade his shot and I do think he will adapt, but I don`t like his shooting work - techique, shooting decision, power of shot, accurate of shot etc. 
You should understand - I don`t think that he is useless or doesnt have NHL future. I do really think he heas potential to be  even 1 ppg in good seasons. 
But I don`t like his shooting work(I think it`s one of the most meaningful thing Devils must ask on the draft from forward), compete level, physical game, two way game.

His season isn`t end, and I plan to watch him more.

It`s very often not high skill players with good compete level are successful on NHL level, like Aho. Lundel is more closing example. Lundel was VERY good two way forward, has better stats in Liiga. Zacha was freakin big and fast with good shot. Just imagine if he will put together. And now here we are.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I think he will upgrade his shot and I do think he will adapt, but I don`t like his shooting work - techique, shooting decision, power of shot, accurate of shot etc. 
You should understand - I don`t think that he is useless or doesnt have NHL future. I do really think he heas potential to be  even 1 ppg in good seasons. 
But I don`t like his shooting work(I think it`s one of the most meaningful thing Devils must ask on the draft from forward), compete level, physical game, two way game.

His season isn`t end, and I plan to watch him more.

It`s very often not high skill players with good compete level are successful on NHL level, like Aho. Lundel is more closing example. Lundel was VERY good two way forward, has better stats in Liiga. Zacha was freakin big and fast with good shot. Just imagine if he will put together. And now here we are.

Thanks for your response! I understand you think he’ll be effective, don’t worry! I know comparables aren’t always the best, but who would be a good comparable for Slafkovsky? 

Edited by Devs3cups

1 hour ago, Devs3cups said:

Thanks for your response! I understand you think he’ll be effective, don’t worry! I know comparables aren’t always the best, but who would be a good comparable for Slafkovsky? 

I’m afraid to do that. Remember how people compared Mercer with Coleman. I didn’t like it, and with time I don’t like it even more). Someone’s  call him Slovakian Jagr. I think it’s too much. Way too much.

For me personally I could want him to be some kind of Holmstrom or Van Riemsdyk type of player, but for now he doesn’t look that way.

sorry it’s really hard for me to find a good comparison. Anti Wood. Big physical two way smart forward with  very good hands and good skating, but without high end speed and crazy boldness.

• Like 1

Simon Nemec

Height 185 cm / 6'1"
Weight 87 kg / 192 lbs
Position D
Shoots R
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/589605/simon-nemec - statistics

Ok I spent the time with Nemec games and plays.
And wow. I dont believe he will be available. He is last year Clarke(who was eight in the year of Hughes and Edvinsson) with good skating. Or even better. I saw Jack Hughes level of plays from Nemec. I don`t like how he is shooting, but, ok, evreybody can handle it. He can organisate redirection plays - that`s a lot for me.

On his defensive game. I understand he is a champion in pokechecks, but you cant handle every situation with his pokecheks. Sometimes you must use your body, sometimes you must using body and the stick. And its look like he doesnt like it. He is very good positionaly, he reads play well, but I dont think he is a good defensive defenseman, but he can grow on himself. He shows great defensive IQ(and hockey IQ overall) and he is physically good. 

His skating is very good. I don`t like his speed, but he has pretty good all ways skating, good power of skating and trying to involved in situation with his movement. He isn`t as good as skater as Edvinsson, no way he is good as Hughes, but i think he is better than Drysdale and Clarke.

Anyway I cant imagine he will be available after 5th pick. He is too good, he has good size and scouts can think coach can learn him how to use it. Because his vision and involving in the game is on the high level. And he is RHD. It`s very interesting to me how late he will be drafted, because it will completly answer to me how different scouts and managers rank pure physical game. Because only speed and physical game are the aspects he needs to improve much. And I think with his skating he can be faster.

I didnt watch and analyse all the players. From what I saw - he is not what Devils need. I think we have enough of this type of player - no matter where they play. But if he is available... may be there is someone special who I didn`t watch yet, but I cant imagine how to walk away from a player with this level of talent. He is VERY smart and read the game on the another level. He create offense all the time, when he is on the puck he will make situation more dangerous. I think he is the type of player, you could talk after some years as "why they did Wright and didn`t draft Nemec". At least he looks like a perfect 2nd pick.

[IMG]

Btw interesting thing is u18 production of Slafkovski and Lundell in u20-Sm leauge.

They are 'twins'. And I think Juraj is very close to Lundell in his game, but much more winger oriented. He works more on boards and much more play in passing, Lundell is more slot\net oriented.

I`m not thinking that Juraj perfectly is what Devils need,for now, I didn`t decide yet, but I will look at him closely in the second half of the season.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

Joakim Kemell

Height 180 cm / 5'11"
Weight 80 kg / 176 lbs
Shoots R
Position RW

Kemmel is a great example of player you want to play with your best players. He will  compensate their problems, will help to score them more and will use opportunities they will create. Simply because he has high chance to be your top player.

He is not the softy skilly guy like Lambert. He works hard on the forecheck. He isn`t as good as forechecker as Yurov, he isn`t as physical as Slafkovsky, but he is more active.
For now I can`t call him as good defensive forward without the puck. He is much more forechecker, but he isn`t that type of potential selki trophy winner for now, but he isnt useless in defensive zone and he play with his player. Anyway he isn`t the center and its not his duty to protect of changing zones. He is active offensive forward with good two way game.

He is very pro active player, and I think his most great part is his feeling of the game. He works on the edge, he didn`t try to sneak the puck, he isn`t afraid of the opponent and defenseman, he is trying to play closer, lure the opponent and play with the open zones. He is pretty good puckhandler that helps him to control the puck. He is very adaptive to the situation. And he try to force opponents, give them a challange, he manipulate the game, screen the ice and move. He is a hockey player who ACT, and other must to react.
He is going to the net, trying to win the spot.

He isn`t best skater, but he is very good, he has enough of power(much more than Slafkovsky) to move with the flow and over the flow, and if he will use speed now, he can use it after.
He is good physicaly for his size. He must gain some weight, work more with his shoulders and back. 

I like his shot. He isn`t a pure sniper like Holtz, but he is good enough shooter, he can redirect. With his proactive playing I thing he has a lot of chances to be good clutcher with other great abilities. 

And the most fun part - with overhyping Lambert, two good RHD, Slafkovsky and a couple of centers, Kemmel has a chance(not so big, but we can hope) to be available for Devils pick. Chance is small, but still a chance. If he will not, Devils still have a great another options.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

Thing with drafts is that all the top scouts have their opinion and eventually there's a sort of general consensus on the ranking and that's basically what we get as fans.

And of course with time some prospects deliver exactly what you'd expect, some completely sh!t the bed and some exceed expectations. 

I've always wanted to go back to previous drafts with hindsight and see who was right or wrong among top scouts like McKenzie, Pronman, Button, or team scouts (except its not really public how team scouts ranks their prospects) etc etc

We seem to just forget about it right away of who said what but if you pay attention, after awhile you can kind of get a sense of who has a good knack to spot specific stuff. Maybe who's better at seeing potential with forwards, goalies or dmen more or wtv.

I just dont have the will power to do it lol 

I really don`t know what writers says about actual generation. I was tracking some players in 2019 and nobody tell that Seider is a real deal, and I really liked him. I was tracking a lot of players and spent a lot of time with 2020 generation players. A lot of writers completly messed up. Some liked two way game of Holtz that was completely nonsense, and stories like Holtz is better Raymond, some ranked Reichel and Peterka as 2nd round talents, a lot did rank Drysdale much higher than Sanderson, Marco Rossi will be picked by Devils story etc. 2021 was very fun, because "lack of production of Edvinsson", surprise of Mctavish etc. I didn`t a lot of work year ago, but closely looked at top-10 players. 
writers likes drive and fast plays very much. and production ofcourse. No matter what  the context of production was. Team scouts likes physical aspect very much. Some hates Russian players, some hates small players, some loves to draft defensemen, someone loves finnish players - Florida and Winnipeg, and everybody know what detroit scouts loves to do.

And no one will be absolutely truth.  I didn`t rank Rashevsky high, I didn`t give enough credit to Jarvis, the most bad thing from me I did rank Sillinger very low, and I didn`t believe in Lundell enough. And I will never repeat this misstake again. Reason why I rank Slafkovsky and Yurov higher than Lambert and Miroshnichenko.

Anyway I think guys like Wheeler and Button doesnt watch prospect hockey. I think they track stats and listen someone assistants may be. Pronman makes good job with tracking, but I don`t agree with a lot of his conclusions. We have a different idea of the successful sum of qualities for different roles. Ofcourse I like my outputs more(at least because they are mine and I understand my own logic better), for now I have a better record(where we intersect), but I didnt make so much work with so much players. If I did try to track so much players, I think I will make much more mistakes. 

And of course scouts and writers svcks in rank of leagues, because if they rank leauges more adequate, then there would never have been such a precedent when a Bratt is chosen in the sixth round, and Nylander is the eighth. Overall.

Edited by Guadana

Ivan Miroshnichenko

Position LW
Height 185 cm / 6'1"
Weight 84 kg / 185 lbs
Shoots R

2022 is a good year for drafting. It`s a year when you will refuse guys like Miroshnichenko. He is the best u18 scorer in VHL in the last 10 years, best point producer. He was great with national squad.
And I do not know how to write an introduction. Devils should not to draft him on my taste. And they will regret about it. I will regret about it.

Miroshnichenko has great speed, great starting speed and great power skating. If he knows what to do he will handle the puck like a God and went through defense like a knife. I think he has this beatiful feeling of the moment. He can do nothing in offensive zone, lost the time and make no impact for the process, but BAMS, he taked  the Insight and he is in the right place in the right time.

If he will ruin transition, lost his man in defense, lost the puck on the board in absolutely regular situation, you can`t ask him about it - he is an artist, art is based on errors.

His passing ability is... questionable. I think he has tunnel vision and he can do good accurate pass, but I see a lot of moments, when he didn`t track other players, who will force his teammates in the moment or after. I can`t call him playmaker.

His work without the puck is avarage or below avarage. He has good size, good technique of skating and good technique of physical playing, but he isn`t work hardly enough. May be it`s a matter of expirience, may be it`s a matter of motivation. He has all tools to be great forechecker but he isnt great on the VHL level now. For the record - VHL is adult league, he can easily gain 10 kg and with more expirience he can be much better. And just imagine - we have some good physical players on the draft with questionable shot and we have Miroshnichenko with questionable physical game, but with good tools for developing. Who do you thing will develop own weakness easily?

Two way game of Miroshnichenko is bad, he can`t read zones, I believe he is talented enough to be better, but we know a lot of skilly talented wingers, who isn`t great in defensive zone years after years. And it`s not the style and not the idea of Miroshnichenko`s game.

So when you pick goal scorer on the draft, you must understand how much goals he can score.
PP goals from the office - check
breakaways goals - check
rebounds - I think he can score because he has a good scorer sense
redirection - may be I didn`t see enough, but I did never saw a moment where he did try to stand under the shot to redirect it.

It is hard to score in NHL games. Especially on the regular basis. I think he is the "talented russian winger". But some russian talented players have high hockey iq, some not. He is very talented. Is he very smart? And where the roof of his ceiling is? If he will be 20-25, even 30 goal scorer on NHL level, do you will prefer him over good two way player like Yurov or strong defenseman with cannon shot Jirichek? And if he will score 35+?

That`s really hard questions for me.

https://youtu.be/eFtPbqo2guc

I hate that Loko didn`t play with Metallurgh. I`m in the couple of days to rank him higher than Yurov. And higher than other shiny softy mummy little sons. After 4 games I did watch today, I`m shoked I missed him before. He is freaking rocks. 
I take him over Lambert in any day of the week, even if I`m drunk and someone did tell me that we trade Bratt somewhy.

Alexander Perevalov
Position LW
Height 183 cm / 6'0"
Weight 87 kg / 192 lbs
Shoots R

Perevalov is play driver, he is hardest forecheker in the consolidated top-15, he has very good shot, great creativity and brain who works every second. He try to safe the puck on his own slot, win the puck on the board(and he will win it), always work to the end and have speed and energy to make something more.

He is good and fast skater. He isn`t great in skating, but he is realy fats, start very fast and use skating as a great tool.
And puckhandling too. Same here. He isn`t the best, he isn`t on the level of Mercer, but he use it very effectively.

He is great two way player. I don`t think he is very good playmaker or game maker like Cooley or Savoie, but he is pretty good to make good (sometimes lazer) passes in the moment. And the most exciting thing - he thinks every time and work everytime, and every time he is creating some upside in the game.
He is so good. His compete level for his level competition is tremendous. He play on the both wings, he will always try to force defense and make situation more dangerous.

I like his shot, I don`t think that he is potential 35+ goal scorer, but I don`t know, he create A LOT to make situation more dangerous.

I love this guy. He is no brainer my top-10 player.

This is his full game against best team of theirs conference.  He is #76 in white jersey. 

He did play 11 min in one KHL this season and I will watch this game soon. After MHL games I wanna see how he  works against men.

This is some of his highlights. The most intriguing part is he always play like on highlights. Yo can watch full game I post here. It`s a rule book how to be impactfull winger in hockey.
Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

Now I`m little bit lazy.

Connor Geekie
Height 193 cm / 6'4"
Weight 93 kg / 205 lbs
Center, shoot L
After spent time with Geekie I would say I will not spend first round pick. I would say I will not spend second round pick. I don`t like combintaion of his prons and cons at all. At his production as forward is where you meet non-nhl player more often than nhl player. And I don`t think production is the problem there.
He is very slow, and I don`t like his skating. He is some kind of Nolan Foote. And even if Foote will be succesfull enough to be NHL player, we don`t two player of the same type of the game. 
And if Geekie could be great slot player(rebounds, rediractions), but he try to play as a puckmover and shooter. I don`t think NHL defenseman will give him enough space and time.

Cutter Gauthier
Height 179 cm / 5'10"
Weight 79 kg / 174 lbs
Center, shoot R

I`d prefer Сutter Gauthier much more, if we will try to draft big F by 11-20 pick. I can`t say I would draft him earlier, I need to watch more games against real more competent players. Speedy enough, involved in game in all three zones, use his body, good speed, good starting speed, good hands. I like combo of perks.
I don`t know whom I like more - him or Miroschnichenko. Miroshnichenko has better tools, his ceiling is much higher, but questionable over all IQ. But he did play in adult league and he is vert productive there. It is a very hard question to decide. Because Gauthier is look like a player who can help here and there and create some impact, score goals etc. Miroshnichenko is look like a player who you need to clean parts of his game, put him on the line with very good playmaker, but he will present a lot of goals to you as a gratitude for that.
I didn`t decide yet.

Frank Nazar
Height 179 cm / 5'10"
Weight 79 kg / 174 lbs
Center, shoot R
I watch Nazar game and clips. I`m not so hшgh on him as some posters. I think he can be good offensive player, I like how he play in offensive zone, but I`m not so high on his game when the game change the zones, I`m not so high on him when he needs to play 200 foot game, but as offensive player, he is top offensive player, great vision, good on the puck, good without the puck, he challange opponents on the level I like, and I like the way he challenge his opponents. He can create pretty enough of speed, but I dont like his power of the skating, he doesn`t try to above of the game. I don`t think he is NHL drive machine of the line, but I do believe he would be a great piece in the line for a good playmaking forward.
He looks like a good complimentary player, I don`t see any problems with talant, but I have questions about defensive decisions, work ethic and level of overall power.

I want to see olympic games, and than may be more games, but now I`m on Jiricek side in Nemec\Jiricek discussion. I`m a fan of Nemec transition game, his playmaking abuility, but after rewatching everything I have, I see a lot of things that will not work in NHL. And the most important thing - Nemec still is a defenseman. His lack of active defensive forechecking and hard attempts to play against are the thing that worry me a lot. And more that I think about it, more I worry about it. In the team of Smith, Luke, Shakir and Damon\Walsh, I want to see more agressive defensive player. Who will impose the game to his opponents and not waiting for a chance to poke the puck only.
I`m not done with it, I want to see more, but in this moment of time I`m on the Jiricek side.
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 8:24 AM, nessus said:

The more I watch Perevalov, the more I think he could be the best prospect coming out of Russia for this draft. I do really like Yurov too though. You love to see a player who is so involved in the play whenever he's on the ice, like Perevalov.

Perevalov is freakin great. He is golden sleeper of the draft.  I like Yurov too and I think they are different players, Yurov has real good center potential, he play north\south and east\west game, I like his smarts and I think he has better hockey iq overall, Perevalov has some kind of tunnel vision, but he is good in that, he is allways trying to challange his opponents, he works hard, he never quit etc. His work ethic is awesome and I think he will be very succesfull NHL player. He is one of my top priorities for now, no matter how high our pick will be. I`d prefer to trade back, if we will win draft loterry, because Wright isn`t generational player and has enough of his own red flags.  I prefer Jiricek, Nemec, Yurov and Perevalov, and trade our high pick for later choices is the second half of the first round. I think Montreal, Arizona and Buffalo will easily trade for better pick, especially there are only Wright and Cooley in the top-10, who has real visible potential to be top-3\top-6 NHL center.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Perevalov is freakin great. He is golden sleeper of the draft.  I like Yurov too and I think they are different players, Yurov has real good center potential, he play north\south and east\west game, I like his smarts and I think he has better hockey iq overall, Perevalov has some kind of tunnel vision, but he is good in that, he is allways trying to challange his opponents, he works hard, he never quit etc. His work ethic is awesome and I think he will be very succesfull NHL player. He is one of my top priorities for now, no matter how high our pick will be. I`d prefer to trade back, if we will win draft loterry, because Wright isn`t generational player and has enough of his own red flags.  I prefer Jiricek, Nemec, Yurov and Perevalov, and trade our high pick for later choices is the second half of the first round. I think Montreal, Arizona and Buffalo will easily trade for better pick, especially there are only Wright and Cooley in the top-10, who has real visible potential to be top-3\top-6 NHL center.

You would think that if the Devil's did win the lottery they would consider trading down for assets or using the pick in a trade. 

Ryan Chesley

Height 183 cm / 6'0"
Weight 88 kg / 194 lbs
Defenseman, Shoot R.

I really like Chesly. 

I trully believe(and hope) he will fall to the end of the first or even in the second round. I think his offensive numbers are not the bad miracle story, I think as a hockey player, who must think where he must go in the cycle without the puck, he isn`t good. And as a playmaker, he isn`t a player who will think 2 step forward.
As potential blue liner and playmaker, he isn`t great in puckhandling.

He play conservative agreesive game. And for his style of play he has all the tools he needs. He is very moile. I love his skating and especially his starting speed. This is what you need in NHL to defend, to drive, to forecheck. And he did it. He protect the puck, have good puck gap, play physical, use his stick to break offensive play or stop the player cleanly.

He isn`t from the same league as Sanderson or Edvinsson. But he is some kind of theirs version. I`m not sayin Sanderson and Edvinsson are on the same level, but they were drafted very because they got some very good tools, good combo that really work in NHL and good GM will want it on his team.
And Ryan has it. Not as offensive defenseman, but as defenseman who will help to win NHL games.
He is active in forecheck and speedy enough to make this little important plays to safe the puck in offensive zone. He can drive the play and protect the puck by his body and usin his speed, he skater backward well enough. He isn`t tall guy, but he is a strong guy. You want him as a partner for your puckmover, you want him in pk and in the end of the game.

And I don`t give a f about what Scouching thinking(or Bader) about him. Hockey isn`t only about puckmoving and creating high dangerous chances in offensive zones. If it was only about that, Devils will be top-5 eastern team, but now we are not.

Edited by Guadana

9 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

You would think that if the Devil's did win the lottery they would consider trading down for assets or using the pick in a trade. 

I dont think Devils will do it, but I think Devils should do it. Because... I don`t believe in Wright. And I don`t think "1oa bust pick team" is a good clishe for the Devils. I trully believe Wright won't be the best from this draft. Devils don`t need center and there are plenty of teams who hardly does need. May be i`m wrong about Wright, but I`m not wrong about what i`m right.

42 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I dont think Devils will do it, but I think Devils should do it. Because... I don`t believe in Wright. And I don`t think "1oa bust pick team" is a good clishe for the Devils. I trully believe Wright won't be the best from this draft. Devils don`t need center and there are plenty of teams who hardly does need. May be i`m wrong about Wright, but I`m not wrong about what i`m right.

I guess it depends on the organisations confidence in Nico and Mercer to stay down the middle and perform. 

I would be comfortable trading this year's pick for established tallent. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I guess it depends on the organisations confidence in Nico and Mercer to stay down the middle and perform. 

I would be comfortable trading this year's pick for established talent. 

Same, especially for a winger who can put the puck in the net (and should have at least 5+ good years left in him).

• Like 2

If the Devils are fortunate enough to win the first overall pick in the lottery, IMO just take Shane Wright. Figure out what to do with the organizational surplus at center later. Mercer can play RW in the top 6, which fills a need anyway.  Wright is the unanimous best player in this draft, with strong prospects like Kemell and Nemec not even in the conversation. The guy had a slow start, but has been on an absolute tear recently. Wright is the type of player you want on your team, the epitome of a complete player. There really are no deficiencies in his game. As much as I like a lot of the other top 10 players, there are question marks that come with each of them. Will Slafkovsky figure out how to score against better competition? Will Lambert be able to reach his high ceiling? Has Miroshnichenko's game regressed? Is Yurov's lack of production in the KHL predictive of low success at the NHL level? For Shane Wright, there really aren't these kinds of questions.

Only reason to trade would be if a desperate team like the Coyotes overpaid. But I don't know if I'd be willing to part with the best shot at a star player from this draft if I'm not at least getting a good NHLer.