Draft 2022 - Lottery - Devils get second pick!

Guadana

58 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah as crazy as it sounds, I almost hope they don't win the lottery tonight so Fitz is more inclined to trade the pick.

Has anyone ever traded a 1st overall pick (the pick itself, pre-selection)?  

The short answer:  yes

» We’re No. 1! The History of Trading the NHL’s Top Pick (grantland.com)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Huh, great intel thank you.  So hasn't happened in almost 20 years, wow.

I remember having read about the deal that allowed the Canadiens to select LaFleur (I read this just after his death), but I didn't know about any of the others.  I obviously remember Mel Bridgman as a player (especially with the Devils), but I had no idea he went first overall. 

*Well, knew about Lindros of course, but like the article said, that wasn't really the same kind of deal, as the others.

Was also funny (and sad) about the Rockies' moves...damn they just had a way of making SO many bad deals...over and over again.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I remember having read about the deal that allowed the Canadiens to select LaFleur (I read this just after his death), but I didn't know about any of the others.  I obviously remember Mel Bridgman as a player (especially with the Devils), but I had no idea he went first overall. 

*Well, knew about Lindros of course, but like the article said, that wasn't really the same kind of deal, as the others.

Was also funny (and sad) about the Rockies' moves...damn they just had a way of making SO many bad deals...over and over again.

That was a fun read. Still don't get why everyone seemingly bent over backwards to facilitate the Canucks drafting the Sedin Twins. 

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

That was a fun read. Still don't get why everyone seemingly bent over backwards to facilitate the Canucks drafting the Sedin Twins. 

Yeah I didn't realize how hard the Canucks were working in trying to make that happen (along with others, apparently).  

I hope we draft Jiricek or Nemec but if we’re to trade it I hope it’s for immediate young rhd or goaltending. 

Pipe dream would be to somehow get Wallstadt from Minnesota, Askarov from Nashville, or Knight from Florida but I guess there’s no reason for any of them to trade them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I hope we draft Jiricek or Nemec but if we’re to trade it I hope it’s for immediate young rhd or goaltending. 

Pipe dream would be to somehow get Wallstadt from Minnesota, Askarov from Nashville, or Knight from Florida but I guess there’s no reason for any of them to trade them. 

Are you the same person who suggested this to me on Reddit??

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone mentioned the exact same 3 plus Oettinger, and whether we would trade this year's first round pick for any of them. 

I mean I think we definitely would I just don’t see the other teams doing it. 

1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

I mean I think we definitely would I just don’t see the other teams doing it. 

That was my response. None of those guys are available. MAYBE if we get the first overall and one of them needs a center and and wants Shane Wright specifically. But I still don't think so, and I don't think it would be a straight pick for player deal, we would have to add something. 

Would LOVE Knight, I think he will be a stud. Oettinger has looked great as well. Askarov is supposedly highly regarded. 

Wallstedt would fit in great with our other Swedish fish but I doubt they make a deal with Fleury being the age he is and probably not returning. 

The same guy on Reddit is trying to convince me that Robin Lehner is the answer. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If Robin Lehner is the answer, I don’t wanna know the question.

"Who is most likely to sign with the Devils and never play because they were already injured?"

or

"Who should we sign so mfitz has to obtain another 7 goalie pucks next season?"

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think they should consider trading this pick unless they tumble down a couple spots. If they pick in the top 5 there will be a player there we will be thrilled to draft. Slafkovsky is the player I think would be the best fit here. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

That was my response. None of those guys are available. MAYBE if we get the first overall and one of them needs a center and and wants Shane Wright specifically. But I still don't think so, and I don't think it would be a straight pick for player deal, we would have to add something. 

Would LOVE Knight, I think he will be a stud. Oettinger has looked great as well. Askarov is supposedly highly regarded. 

Wallstedt would fit in great with our other Swedish fish but I doubt they make a deal with Fleury being the age he is and probably not returning. 

The same guy on Reddit is trying to convince me that Robin Lehner is the answer. 

Yeah I wish.  But Knight in particular is already playing games and gaining valuable experience, with an aging goalie in front of him...all Florida would be doing by dealing him off is force themselves to look for another Spencer Knight.  When you're able to draft a kid like that, you hang onto him until you're convinced he's not as good as originally hoped for.  

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I wish.  But Knight in particular is already playing games and gaining valuable experience, with an aging goalie in front of him...all Florida would be doing by dealing him off is force themselves to look for another Spencer Knight.  When you're able to draft a kid like that, you hang onto him until you're convinced he's not as good as originally hoped for.  

Correct, unless you accidentally ended up with two of them and have other needs. Florida is not in that position. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

If the Devils don't win the lottery, they hope it's either Montreal, Arizona, Seattle, or Philadelphia -- which would keep them picking 5th. Any teams not listed there would push the Devils down a slot. 

I'm just really glad we can all sit around and stress over the balls again together this season. This is way better than watching the playoffs. I'm fine. Everything is fine. I am okay. This is great.

This can happen but only if the resulting player drafted is absolutely terrible. Which shouldn't be a problem with the flyers recent record. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

This.

Same, wouldn't mind some immediate "insert here" help.  

• Like 1