Draft 2022 - Lottery - Devils get second pick!

Guadana

13 minutes ago, nessus said:

Slafkovsky-Hughes-Holtz could be a deadly line.

That could leave Bratt-Hischier-Mercer as the second line.

If they go Jiricek, 

L. Hughes-Jiricek

is almost equally exciting

A lot of things to like about Slafkovsky, but to point out a few:

He skates very well for his size, not just his top speed, but he's so fluid and agile. His puck control and stickhandling is really excellent. High hockey IQ and strong physical presence, which both go without saying to anyone who has watched him to any extent. Perhaps one of the more encouraging aspects of his game is how he has improved his shot considerably, which was a weakness for him earlier this season. Then he went and scored 7 goals at the Olympics.

Whether it's Slafkovsky, Jiricek, or Nemec, I'll be happy because I didn't feel like the Devils had a great chance at any of those 3.

An interesting scenario would be if Montreal picks Slaf - good opportunity to move down a pick or two by trading with a team desperate for a center (Arizona at 3, Seattle at 4) and guarantee Jiricek or Slafkovsky, while picking up another asset in the process. I think it's highly unlikely Montreal passes on Wright though.

We don`t know what Montreal scout can think. How they rank their own Suzuki. I`m waiting for Wright `st overall, but sometimes things goes different ways.

I like Slafkovsky and Jiricek and I think I will be happy with both. They both represent great need of NJD. (besides goalie). If MTL goes with Slaf, Arizona has a lot of picks and hardly need in first center. We can draft Jiricek after that and a lot of interesting prospects in the end of first round and in the beggining of the second. 

And the most fun part is, I was really scary, Fitz will make stupid move with signing Forsberg or not as stupid move but not very great move to trade for Fiala. They both will eat a lot of salary cap pie, but will not help with real problems of the Devils. Now FItz doesn`t need to make questionable moves. Slaf or Jiricek, Fitz will done the rebuild and the only thing he really needs to do is SIGN FOCKIN  GOALIE. Or trade him. It`s really hard to make it, I understand it, but Devils are in the ONE step from being really great team.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

Sam Woo went live & isn't even talking about the 2nd overall pick. He's just shilling for Lindy Ruff to stay as coach.

He was suggesting, on Twitter, that Fitz tries to get Trotz to  be Ruffs assistant. Hilarious.

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

We’ve never drafted 2nd overall, correct? I know Niedermayer was 3rd. 

I think we took Muller 2nd in the Mario Lemieux draft. Or was it Shanahan?

Edit… they were both 2nd overalls 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Thanks 1

Glad we didn’t win. Didn’t want that dubious loser distinction of three first overalls, especially when this year’s is meh. I do like the Slovakian winger. Wouldn’t be opposed to keeping the puck if it’s him.

• Like 1

Very tempting to pick Slavfosky. I was just watching a reporter from MTL talking about the discussions he had with many scouts today. Said that generally they were all saying that any player in the top 5, none of them were perfect and that there's no clear superstar or franchise player in there. But that the name that kept coming up the most was Slavfosky and they were all bringing up his upside. Also said many of them compared him to Andrei Svechnikov.

I obviously don't know but i'm still a little unsure about his stock though. He was not producing much at all before the olympics, then yeah he was the best player at the olympics but most of those teams sucked and the quality of play was really not great. And we've seen how having a good tournament helped the stock of other players before like Kostitsyn in 2003 or even Kakko recently. So bigger guys doing better at a young age and having a good tournament during their draft year has been something that made some scouts make mistakes in the past so there's always a possibility.

But also maybe he's just a riser figuring out his game after a complicated covid season and all. It's very very possible too. I just wish it was clearer and that he would have been a bit more consistent, i still see bust potential with him and we'd only see him in maybe 2-3 years in the NHL and we need help now. So i'm still interested in seeing what we could get for that pick +. 

Edited by SterioDesign

We need a goalie or another top flight d-man now. I think its awesome we got second overall and Strvkovsky looks good but I don't want to go another season watching this team put up offense only to see them constantly lose because of poor d and goaltending Just leaving that there

Edited by CarpathianForest

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

Glad we didn’t win. Didn’t want that dubious loser distinction of three first overalls, especially when this year’s is meh. I do like the Slovakian winger. Wouldn’t be opposed to keeping the puck if it’s him.

We narrowly escaped the universal hate. Flyers fans are really pissed at us though. 

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what TOR does if they make another 1st round exit. Possibly some major shakeups there either with the team or with management. Fitz could have some trade partners.

2 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

We narrowly escaped the universal hate. Flyers fans are really pissed at us though. 

I'm pissed at them and all they have done recently is exist...so....🤷‍♂️

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think we took Muller 2nd in the Mario Lemieux draft. Or was it Shanahan?

Edit… they were both 2nd overalls 

Also Wilf Paiement (Scouts) and Barry Beck (Rockies)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Does this count as winning the lotto? If the NJ/MTL are the worst team in the league next year, does this mean there is no way they can pick #1 no matter what?

No this does not count as winning the lotto

• Like 1