Draft 2022 - Lottery - Devils get second pick!

Guadana

Quite a few draft lists have Cooley at second. 

Seems like a player who's profile is similar to what we already have on the roster. On the small side, good skater and play maker with a good shot.

Given he is a center as well it would seem like we don't have much of a need. But do you just take BPA. 

I was reading up on some of the possible options at second overall after the draft lottery last night.  It looks like most reports have come down between Slaf and Cooley.  While Slaf does address a need that the Devils desperately need, Cooley seems to be overall the better player so I am more inclined to pick him.  Way too many times teams, including the Devils, have gotten burned by drafting for need over BPA.  Plus a lot of the write-ups I see about Slaf reminds me of what I read about Zacha and Kakko (big rugged winger, played with men, etc.).

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I was reading up on some of the possible options at second overall after the draft lottery last night.  It looks like most reports have come down between Slaf and Cooley.  While Slaf does address a need that the Devils desperately need, Cooley seems to be overall the better player so I am more inclined to pick him.  Way too many times teams, including the Devils, have gotten burned by drafting for need over BPA.  Plus a lot of the write-ups I see about Slaf reminds me of what I read about Zacha and Kakko (big rugged winger, played with men, etc.).

It definitely does have a Jack/Kakko vibe to it. 

• Like 1

I think of you keep 2OA you take Cooley and laugh all the way to the bank. People on here are acting like having 3 really good centers would somehow be a problem. I get that this team needs more scorers and better wingers but I just can't see how having ANOTHER potentially really good center is somehow wrong. Don't forget that centers have good trade value as well and that its usually easier to move from center to wing than vise-versa. Now if the reports are right about Arizona really really wanting Cooley and you can get something nice in return for swapping picks then I am 100% in favor for going to 3OA and taking Slafkovsky.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Oh, I'm referring mostly to Devils fans I see posting comments on YouTube or Devils beat writers more so than anyone on this board. I think most people here would agree giving up 2OA is too high a price to pay for either Fiala or a goalie, especially when one can be had in free agency. 

The Devils have beat writers?  Even that sh!t rag the Star Ledger doesn't send anyone out to cover the games, and their HQ's used to be 3 blocks from the Rock.

Thanks God Fitz is Fitz and he will not take Cooley. By 2nd  OA ofcourse. I believe writers are writing, but scouts are scouting and managers are picking and they deffinetly do this without listening writers. 
Ofcourse I can be wrong here, but I did watch a lot of Cooley games, enough of other players games(I would say not enough of Jiricek games). Cooley is what Fitz will not prefer on the draft day as I understand Fitz correctly.

I believe Arizona are smart enough too and they will not trade their 3rd+ for our second because they understnand and know what Fitz will want on the draft day.  It`s not perimetr playmaking small forward. If they want Cooley, they will draft him by 3rd pick. Only if they want to draft Slafkovsky over Cooley, they will trade 3rd for 2nd. If Fitz will want to make this trade for picking Slaf by 3OA - it`s too dangerous move, and I could call it stupid move. 
If Fitz want to draft Slaf or Jiricek, or Slaf or Nemec or Jiricek and he and his scouts rank them on the same level, than ofcourse he can trade his pick. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Thanks God Fitz is Fitz and he will not take Cooley. By 2nd  OA ofcourse. I believe writers are writing, but scouts are scouting and managers are picking and they deffinetly do this without listening writers. 
Ofcourse I can be wrong here, but I did watch a lot of Cooley games, enough of other players games(I would say not enough of Jiricek games). Cooley is what Fitz will not prefer on the draft day as I understand Fitz correctly.

I believe Arizona are smart enough too and they will not trade their 3rd+ for our second because they understnand and know what Fitz will want on the draft day.  It`s not perimetr playmaking small forward. If they want Cooley, they will draft him by 3rd pick. Only if they want to draft Slafkovsky over Cooley, they will trade 3rd for 2nd. If Fitz will want to make this trade for picking Slaf by 3OA - it`s too dangerous move, and I could call it stupid move. 
If Fitz want to draft Slaf or Jiricek, or Slaf or Nemec or Jiricek and he and his scouts rank them on the same level, than ofcourse he can trade his pick. 

I could see a situation where Fitz drafts BPA and then dangles him as part of a trade somewhere else if they don't want to wait for Jiricec or Nemec to develop or they are not sold on Slaf.

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

image.jpeg.2a21f621b85dff35f88d940d4291168f.jpeg

Anyway, player comps are what they are. Some of choose to be hopeful and dream about the possibilities, and some of us are Mfitz lol. 

As for the Rantanen comparison. Slaf actually put up 1 more point in Liiga as a 17 year old than he did. In 6 less games, too. 

Yeah we kept hearing Larsson was a Hedman, Lidstrom and were upset when his comparable at the draft was sami salo... turns out that was the one that was accurate lol

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I could see a situation where Fitz drafts BPA and then dangles him as part of a trade somewhere else if they don't want to wait for Jiricec or Nemec to develop or they are not sold on Slaf.

I`m a draft guy here and I`m watching easily how it is working everywhere, how teams are lose when they trade thier high picks. But I would say i`m okey if Tkachuck don`t wanna stay in Calgary and his connection to Fitz and Hughes family will help. But it`s pipe dream scenario. 

And I know, Kakko isn`t flashy, but it`s to early and you know. Top-5 players comming into the stars much more often than bust. This is how you can get them for nothing - draft them. Look at what did happening with Jack Hughes. 

If they don`t wanna wait Jiricek and Nemec develop - they have Hamilton and Severson. If they wanna wait - they have Hamilton and Severson. In the first case - draft Slafkovsky. In the second case - draft Jiricek or Nemec if you wanna draft one of them. And trade down. 

I bring up Marchand because we are sorely lacking in sandpaper and because Boston is at an organizational crossroads if Bergeron retires. It would be a better idea if we had a goalie and were a contender. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Boston starts to explore trading Marchand if they bow out to Carolina and Bergeron hangs 'em up. The Bruins window maybe has closed.

Edited by Jerrydevil

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

I want to stir the hornet's nest: The pick and Alexander Holtz to Boston for Brad Marchand.

Marchand will be 35 next season. No way in hell i bring in a guy this old to support our guys. Especially wouldnt trade a first round pick and a 20 years old for one. 

Edited by SterioDesign

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Marchand will be 35 next season. No way in hell i bring in a guy this old to support our guys. Especially wouldnt trade a first round pick and a 20 years old for one. 

Well I mean he acts like a 14 year old though...

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Matthew Tkachuk would be my ideal “motherfvcker” to bring in, but I doubt Calgary really ends up moving him. 

That’s the dude. If we could get him, I’d throw a party that would last literally all summer.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah if he was 10 years younger, definitely. But I’m not trading premium assets for a 35 year old. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So what? Do you think that they are upset they had so many firsts? They aren’t. 

Dude, yes they are.  Sure, you can put the past in the past, but reputations matter.  I don't want to be known as the team that got good after decades of sucking and eventually got great draft pick after great draft pick, which is exactly what they're known for right now. 

Edit:. To clarify, Oilers management obviously isn't upset about all the firsts they had, in part because management that's in place right now isn't the management that was in place prior (since they sucked so bad and they were given pink slips), But the fans certainly care and are upset.  It's all about having pride in the team you care about and support no matter what.   

Edited by NJDfan1711

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Dude, yes they are.  Sure, you can put the past in the past, but reputations matter.  I don't want to be known as the team that got good after decades of sucking and eventually got great draft pick after great draft pick, which is exactly what they're known for right now. 

Edit:. To clarify, Oilers management obviously isn't upset about all the firsts they had, in part because management that's in place right now isn't the management that was in place prior (since they sucked so bad and they were given pink slips), But the fans certainly care and are upset.  It's all about having pride in the team you care about and support no matter what.   

They’re upset that it didn’t make a difference, or that they drafted the wrong guys, but anyone who is upset about getting too many first overall picks has questionable judgment. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

, but anyone who is upset about getting too many first overall picks has questionable judgment. 

I agree. I don't know anyone that is upset about getting first overall picks after finishing last....I just don't want to pick last for 10 years in a row. To me that's a horrible consolidation and doesn't make me feel good or better about that much suckage. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't disagree. I have thought of running for office basically on that exact platform. I'm just a dude, I don't come from money, I don't have companies or political parties controlling what I do or say, etc. But I'm still smart, educated, and most importantly, ready to listen to other people who are not rich and connected and give them a voice. The other guys can't offer that because they've never been you. I AM you. 

Well when 2024 rolls around, and you check the state of Florida’s votes, don’t be shocked when you have one from me now.

i’m sold

31 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

I wouldn’t hate that if d1ckhead was younger. 

How old is Tom Wilson….