Draft 2022 - Lottery - Devils get second pick!

Guadana

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Which draft pick though? Absolutely no way I’d trade a #2OA for any goalie. The position is just way to volatile. Just look at the “Prince” in NY turning into a pumpkin all of a sudden. 

Their entire team has turned to sh!t including Shesterkin in his first playoff series.  It's certainly hasn't been on him alone.  He put up a top 8 save percentage of all time this season but we don't need a guy like that?  We can rattle of draft picks that never turn out to meet expectations too. 

But you wouldn't trade a 2OA for a guy like that (a guy most likely to win the vezina), so we couldn't disagree more. 

Give me the stud goalie that carries the team through an entire regular season and at least into a playoff position over another forward who might pan out but isn't a guarantee. Nor do we know how many years it may take for that to happen. In the meantime we can find some more plugs  to stop pucks or try to anyway. 

• Like 1

For like a decade everyone has complained that we don't have wingers that can score. Then when we get into position to have that, everyone wants to not do it. Just trade away from all of it. This team isn't a Kevin Fiala away from cup contention. It's not a Connor Hellebuyck away from cup contention. Now is not the time to sell the farm for a goalie. Lou made a mistake when he traded for Schneider. 3 years of .925 save% Schneider was detrimental to a team that needed to rebuild. I want the goalie as the final piece of the puzzle. Once everything else is built up. The Metro is loaded. This team isn't in win now mode.  There's 4 teams in the division that will clearly be better than the Devils next season. They should be looking to replace the Penguins and Caps in the future. Crosby & Ovechkin can't play at this level forever. I realize that people are out of patience. This team will need at least 2 more seasons before it has a chance to contend. We need Luke to get here. Some other players will need time to develop. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, NJD16W said:

For like a decade everyone has complained that we don't have wingers that can score. Then when we get into position to have that, everyone wants to not do it. Just trade away from all of it. This team isn't a Kevin Fiala away from cup contention. It's not a Connor Hellebuyck away from cup contention. Now is not the time to sell the farm for a goalie. Lou made a mistake when he traded for Schneider. 3 years of .925 save% Schneider was detrimental to a team that needed to rebuild. I want the goalie as the final piece of the puzzle. Once everything else is built up. The Metro is loaded. This team isn't in win now mode.  There's 4 teams in the division that will clearly be better than the Devils next season. They should be looking to replace the Penguins and Caps in the future. Crosby & Ovechkin can't play at this level forever. I realize that people are out of patience. This team will need at least 2 more seasons before it has a chance to contend. We need Luke to get here. Some other players will need time to develop. 

Couldn't agree more. Trading this pick for a goalie or Fiala would be a huge mistake. Only way I'd trade it would be to swap for a first rounder this year and collect a first rounder next year, and more if possible.  

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i have a feeling we'll see the Hischier Makar scenario again in this case. I don't think Wright will be the best player in this draft in a few years. 

A lot of people aren't sure he is the best player in the draft now. The consensus seems to be he is the safest pick. 

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

I'd prefer to sign try to sign Husso this summer as an UFA vs trading our 2OA for a guy like Hellebuyck. 

The "prince" was the example brought up in the original scenario not some guy name Husso. Not sure they're remotely the same. It's all hypothetical clearly the "prince" would never be available. My point was I hope they would be willing to move assets including draft picks depending on who was. I don't think top draft picks are guaranteed stars especially here and now, some never. If we're still willing to concede the next 3-4 years of not making the playoffs while other teams back up to us while we get better than yeah I guess getting a true really good goalie isn't that much of a top priority. 

Tonight though we won something, tonight there was only I team worse who gets to walk away with a bigger prize that we do. 

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

I'd prefer to sign try to sign Husso this summer as an UFA vs trading our 2OA for a guy like Hellebuyck. 

Agreed. 

56 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Couldn't agree more. Trading this pick for a goalie or Fiala would be a huge mistake. Only way I'd trade it would be to swap for a first rounder this year and collect a first rounder next year, and more if possible.  

I was totally on board with trading our pick for Fiala when I thought it was going to be a 5th or 6th in a fairly “weak” draft class. Winning the #2 pick changes that entirely. No way I’m trading it now, unless it’s for something crazy. It’s just too good of an opportunity to add one more blue chip prospect to the young core. 

1 hour ago, NJD16W said:

Well said. 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

You’d trade the second pick for sh!tstain all day every day. He is not a good example of volatility with the position.

I’ve seen too many goalies have their games just completely drop off a cliff. Like the poster above mentioned with Cory. I’m sure some of you would have advocated trading for a guy like Binnington a few years ago, too - after he came in and immediately lit the league on fire. I want the goaltending fixed as much as anyone (I literally spent the entire season complaining about it), but I want to do it the smartest way possible. Let’s maybe start with bringing in someone to split time with Blackwood who’s not completely over-the-hill, or dealing with serious medical concerns. 

5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

If we're still willing to concede the next 3-4 years of not making the playoffs while other teams back up to us while we get better than yeah I guess getting a true really good goalie isn't that much of a top priority.

Who’s conceding that? I think most probably see them as a bubble team right now if they make some good coaching hires (specifically to run the power play), and find someone decent to split starts with Blackwood. They aren’t going to be true Cup contenders until guys like Jack, Nico, and Bratt are truly in their primes anyway (so mid 20’s?). And by then - Luke and some of these other top prospects should also be ready. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Agreed. 

I was totally on board with trading our pick for Fiala when I thought it was going to be a 5th or 6th in a fairly “weak” draft class. Winning the #2 pick changes that entirely. No way I’m trading it now, unless it’s for something crazy. It’s just too good of an opportunity to add one more blue chip prospect to the young core. 

Well said. 

I’ve seen too many goalies have their games just completely drop off a cliff. Like the poster above mentioned with Cory. I’m sure some of you would have advocated trading for a guy like Binnington a few years ago, too - after he came in and immediately lit the league on fire. I want the goaltending fixed as much as anyone (I literally spent the entire season complaining about it), but I want to do it the smartest way possible. Let’s maybe start with bringing in someone to split time with Blackwood who’s not completely over-the-hill, or dealing with serious medical concerns. 

Agreed. At this time, goalie has to be someone we bring in by free agency. Now that we have a chance to draft a power winger with scoring ability whom we can pair with Jack or Nico for years, people are looking to trade it away for a chance to get a goalie or another forward who can get us into the first round at best and go into "win now" mode. As NJ16W said, we're not one player away from cup contention. Plus we still have Ruff and we all know he's here for developmental purposes vs coaching this unit into the promised land. Trading this pick for Fiala or a nearly 30 year old goalie would be the height of stupidity.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Agreed. At this time, goalie has to be someone we bring in by free agency. Now that we have a chance to draft a power winger with scoring ability whom we can pair with Jack or Nico for years, people are looking to trade it away for a chance to get a goalie or another forward who can get us into the first round at best and go into "win now" mode. As NJ16W said, we're not one player away from cup contention. Plus we still have Ruff and we all know he's here for developmental purposes vs coaching this unit into the promised land. Trading this pick for Fiala or a nearly 30 year old goalie would be the height of stupidity.  

In fairness, re:  Fiala or a goalie involving the Devils trading this year’s first-rounder, most were thinking giving up a 5OA or 6OA.  Now having the 2OA changes things quite a bit.  I’m still not opposed to bringing in Fiala, but I no longer would consider including the Devils’ 2022 first-rounder (or next year’s, for that matter) in such a deal.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness, re:  Fiala or a goalie involving the Devils trading this year’s first-rounder, most were thinking giving up a 5OA or 6OA.  Now having the 2OA changes things quite a bit.  I’m still not opposed to bringing in Fiala, but I no longer would consider including the Devils’ 2022 first-rounder (or next year’s, for that matter) in such a deal.  

Oh, I'm referring mostly to Devils fans I see posting comments on YouTube or Devils beat writers more so than anyone on this board. I think most people here would agree giving up 2OA is too high a price to pay for either Fiala or a goalie, especially when one can be had in free agency. 

And if Arizona wants Cooley bad enough…if I’m Fitz, I offer the Devils’ 2OA for Arizona’s 3OA and another one of their 2022 firsts (Yotes have Carolina’s and Colorado’s firsts this year).  Or their 3OA with a pair of their 2022 seconds (they have four of those, including their own and the Flyers’…those are the two that I would ask for).  

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’d imagine teams will be extremely hesitant to trade away their 1st round picks for next season because of the top 2 in that class. This actually worked out perfectly for the Devils. They are picking as high as they can this year, without being taken out of the Connor Bedard sweepstakes next year. 

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m burning through a bunch of these, and the guy that compared him as a “more physical Mikko Rantanen” definitely caught my attention…

Need to watch some Nemec and Jiricek next. 

I would like that, but let’s also say that those comparisons are almost never accurate. Who was Zacha supposed to be, Bergeron?

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would like that, but let’s also say that those comparisons are almost never accurate. Who was Zacha supposed to be, Bergeron?

NHL Comparable:

Lists his favourite player and models his game after Alex Ovechkin, some comparison in terms of a combination of size and offensive skill as well the willingness to play physical and throw his body around. Zacha certainly does not project to have the numbers or impact that Ovechkin has had however.

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Zacha certainly does not project to have the numbers or impact that Ovechkin has had however.

image.jpeg.2a21f621b85dff35f88d940d4291168f.jpeg

Anyway, player comps are what they are. Some of choose to be hopeful and dream about the possibilities, and some of us are Mfitz lol. 

As for the Rantanen comparison. Slaf actually put up 1 more point in Liiga as a 17 year old than he did. In 6 less games, too. 

32 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

image.jpeg.2a21f621b85dff35f88d940d4291168f.jpeg

Anyway, player comps are what they are. Some of choose to be hopeful and dream about the possibilities, and some of us are Mfitz lol. 

As for the Rantanen comparison. Slaf actually put up 1 more point in Liiga as a 17 year old than he did. In 6 less games, too. 

If I model my career after a Supreme Court justice, do I also get to be a Supreme Court justice?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Idk man, the way this country is today, we need a lot more good Dick jokes to lighten everyone the fvck up.

I don't disagree. I have thought of running for office basically on that exact platform. I'm just a dude, I don't come from money, I don't have companies or political parties controlling what I do or say, etc. But I'm still smart, educated, and most importantly, ready to listen to other people who are not rich and connected and give them a voice. The other guys can't offer that because they've never been you. I AM you.