Jump to content

Draft 2022 - Lottery - Devils get second pick!


Guadana
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I bring up Marchand because we are sorely lacking in sandpaper and because Boston is at an organizational crossroads if Bergeron retires. It would be a better idea if we had a goalie and were a contender. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Boston starts to explore trading Marchand if they bow out to Carolina and Bergeron hangs 'em up. The Bruins window maybe has closed.

I totally agree the Devils need a motherfvcker. I think, if Washington loses this series (jury's obviously out on this one), they start to tear it down a little bit. Not a re-build, but they will need to shake it up. I've been wondering what kind of package it would take to pry away Tom Wilson. Someone skilled enough to play with Jack, but with his wires crossed in a way where if someone throws a hard check on Jack, Tom would try to make him eat the rest of his meals through a straw. 

He's only got 2 years left on his deal, but he got along with Jack at the trade deadline and if he came over here to be part of the process, I can see him sticking around. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

I want to stir the hornet's nest: The pick and Alexander Holtz to Boston for Brad Marchand.

Marchand will be 35 next season. No way in hell i bring in a guy this old to support our guys. Especially wouldnt trade a first round pick and a 20 years old for one. 

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Marchand will be 35 next season. No way in hell i bring in a guy this old to support our guys. Especially wouldnt trade a first round pick and a 20 years old for one. 

Well I mean he acts like a 14 year old though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Matthew Tkachuk would be my ideal “motherfvcker” to bring in, but I doubt Calgary really ends up moving him. 

That’s the dude. If we could get him, I’d throw a party that would last literally all summer.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Marchand will be 35 next season. No way in hell i bring in a guy this old to support our guys. Especially wouldnt trade a first round pick and a 20 years old for one. 

Yeah if he was 10 years younger, definitely. But I’m not trading premium assets for a 35 year old. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So what? Do you think that they are upset they had so many firsts? They aren’t. 

Dude, yes they are.  Sure, you can put the past in the past, but reputations matter.  I don't want to be known as the team that got good after decades of sucking and eventually got great draft pick after great draft pick, which is exactly what they're known for right now. 

 

Edit:. To clarify, Oilers management obviously isn't upset about all the firsts they had, in part because management that's in place right now isn't the management that was in place prior (since they sucked so bad and they were given pink slips), But the fans certainly care and are upset.  It's all about having pride in the team you care about and support no matter what.   

Edited by NJDfan1711
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Dude, yes they are.  Sure, you can put the past in the past, but reputations matter.  I don't want to be known as the team that got good after decades of sucking and eventually got great draft pick after great draft pick, which is exactly what they're known for right now. 

 

Edit:. To clarify, Oilers management obviously isn't upset about all the firsts they had, in part because management that's in place right now isn't the management that was in place prior (since they sucked so bad and they were given pink slips), But the fans certainly care and are upset.  It's all about having pride in the team you care about and support no matter what.   

They’re upset that it didn’t make a difference, or that they drafted the wrong guys, but anyone who is upset about getting too many first overall picks has questionable judgment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mfitz804 said:

, but anyone who is upset about getting too many first overall picks has questionable judgment. 

I agree. I don't know anyone that is upset about getting first overall picks after finishing last....I just don't want to pick last for 10 years in a row. To me that's a horrible consolidation and doesn't make me feel good or better about that much suckage. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't disagree. I have thought of running for office basically on that exact platform. I'm just a dude, I don't come from money, I don't have companies or political parties controlling what I do or say, etc. But I'm still smart, educated, and most importantly, ready to listen to other people who are not rich and connected and give them a voice. The other guys can't offer that because they've never been you. I AM you. 

 

Well when 2024 rolls around, and you check the state of Florida’s votes, don’t be shocked when you have one from me now.

i’m sold

31 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

I wouldn’t hate that if d1ckhead was younger. 

How old is Tom Wilson….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2022 Prospects to watch at the World Championships:
David Jiricek (Czech Republic)
Simon Nemec (Slovakia)
Juraj Slafkovsky (Slovakia)

Every team plays 7 games prior to the Quarter finals


Games to watch:

Friday May 13
Slovakia (Nemec, Slafkovsky, Tatar) vs France - 9:20am


Saturday May 14
Czech Republic (Jiricek) vs Britain - 9:20am
Slovakia vs Germany - 1:20pm


Sunday May 15
Czech Republic vs Sweden - 1:20pm


Monday May 16
Slovakia vs Canada- 9:20am


Tuesday May 17
Czech Republic vs Austria - 9:20am


Wednesday May 18
Switzerland vs Slovakia - 1:20pm


Thursday May 19
Czech Republic vs Latvia - 1:20pm


Friday May 20
Slovakia vs Kazakhstan - 1:20pm


Saturday May 21
Slovakia vs Italy - 1:20pm
Czech Republic vs Norway - 1:20pm


Sunday May 22
none


Monday May 23
USA vs Czech Republic - 9:20am


Tuesday May 24
Slovakia vs Denmark - 9:20am
Czech Republic vs Finland - 1:20pm



Quarter-finals begin on Thursday May 26th

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Two firsts and one second pick doesn't hurt penguins. Chicago doesn't cry about years of losing. Because talented players make them successful. They have other reasons to cry now)

Oilers would be disaster team like Devils if they didn't draft their talent, but bad management, bad coaching and lack of good goaltending hurts. Thus is a place where oilers and devils could cross. Without good goaltending and strong defense, even Mcdavid and Leon can't show maximum. 

Buffalo didn't develpe their prospects well. If we wanna analyze reasons, we should see difference between reasons and Consequences. 

Bad management of good assets doesn't help(ask oilers and hall, and a lot of teams who lose the trade of high pick in the recent years). Good goalie and right coach will help.

Future top winger/top defenseman will help too.

Edited by Guadana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because i grew up a Devils fan because i was a goalie and Marty was my fav player, but Mario Lemieux was my favourite "skater". The Pens were sort of my 2nd favourite team (now i know this will get some fired up that it's impossible to have such thing as a second fav team bla bla bla bla but wtv) but through the mid 2000s... i stopped "caring" for Pittsburgh cause well Lemieux was gone anyway but also cause i hated feeling like i'D cheer for a team that simply got good by sucking as much as possible and getting all the top players at the right time.

I was proud of the Devils and the Red Wings for just being good by getting the right guys and developing them and kept "bragging" about that fact.

So fair to say i can't help but slightly feeling like a hypocrite at the moment lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Because i grew up a Devils fan because i was a goalie and Marty was my fav player, but Mario Lemieux was my favourite "skater". The Pens were sort of my 2nd favourite team (now i know this will get some fired up that it's impossible to have such thing as a second fav team bla bla bla bla but wtv) but through the mid 2000s... i stopped "caring" for Pittsburgh cause well Lemieux was gone anyway but also cause i hated feeling like i'D cheer for a team that simply got good by sucking as much as possible and getting all the top players at the right time.

I was proud of the Devils and the Red Wings for just being good by getting the right guys and developing them and kept "bragging" about that fact.

So fair to say i can't help but slightly feeling like a hypocrite at the moment lol

But didn’t the Devils suck into landing some of their core pieces in the first place? Niedermayer was a #3OA, and Shanahan was a #2OA - and he turned into Scott Stevens. 

Edited by Nicomo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But didn’t the Devils suck into landing some of their core pieces in the first place? Niedermayer was a #3OA, and Shanahan was a #2OA - and he turned into Scott Stevens. 

Yup, big time suckage lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

But didn’t the Devils suck into landing some of their core pieces in the first place? Niedermayer was a #3OA, and Shanahan was a #2OA - and he turned into Scott Stevens. 

C’mon, ya know your history better than that, re:  the Nieds pick…Lou picked that one up when he traded Tom Kurvers for the Leafs’ 1991 first-rounder.  That pick actually looked like it might be #1OA for a while (which would have given them Lindros).  But the Devils got Nieds through the Leafs sucking, not the Devils sucking, heh heh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C’mon, ya know your history better than that, re:  the Nieds pick…Lou picked that one up when he traded Tom Kurvers for the Leafs’ 1991 first-rounder.  That pick actually looked like it might be #1OA for a while (which would have given them Lindros).  But the Devils got Nieds through the Leafs sucking, not the Devils sucking, heh heh.

Ah ok. I actually don’t know the 80’s/90’s Devils history as well as a lot of you. I didn’t start following the team until 2000. I’m sure I’ve heard about that trade before though. I just straight up forgot all about it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Ah ok. I actually don’t know the 80’s/90’s Devils history as well as a lot of you. I didn’t start following the team until 2000. I’m sure I’ve heard about that trade before though. I just straight up forgot all about it. 

The funny thing about that deal was at the time I was sorry to see Kurvers go…he’d had a real solid year in 1988-89.  And he helped the Leafs in 1989-90.

What made that whole thing funnier is that the Leafs were terrified that the pick that they surrendered was going to be the top pick…they made a bunch of desperation deals just to win enough to make sure that they didn’t finish with the league’s worst record (no lottery back then).  And the Sharks were given the 2nd pick for joining the NHL…they selected Pat Falloon, who was pretty much the consensus #2 player in that draft (and more or less became a bust).  Had the Devils had the second pick, they may have taken him.  Everything worked out perfectly for them.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny thing about that deal was at the time I was sorry to see Kurvers go…he’d had a real solid year in 1988-89.  And he helped the Leafs in 1989-90.

What made that whole thing funnier is that the Leafs were terrified that the pick that they surrendered was going to be the top pick…they made a bunch of desperation deals just to win enough to make sure that they didn’t finish with the league’s worst record (no lottery back then).  And the Sharks were given the 2nd pick for joining the NHL…they selected Pat Falloon, who was pretty much the consensus #2 player in that draft (and more or less became a bust).  Had the Devils had the second pick, they may have taken him.  Everything worked out perfectly for them.  

Speaking of the 80's-90's Devils, was Pat Verbeek traded straight up for Sylvain Turgeon or did NJ get more in the deal? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Speaking of the 80's-90's Devils, was Pat Verbeek traded straight up for Sylvain Turgeon or did NJ get more in the deal? 

Straight up, and it was pretty bad.  Fortunately Lou quickly realized that the rumors about Turgeon being a lazy malingerer were 100% true, and managed to flip him just one season later for Claude Lemieux.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C’mon, ya know your history better than that, re:  the Nieds pick…Lou picked that one up when he traded Tom Kurvers for the Leafs’ 1991 first-rounder.  That pick actually looked like it might be #1OA for a while (which would have given them Lindros).  But the Devils got Nieds through the Leafs sucking, not the Devils sucking, heh heh.

Of course, the Devils also drafted Kirk Muller 2nd overall, and later turned that into Stephane Richer, an integral piece in our later success

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What made that whole thing funnier is that the Leafs were terrified that the pick that they surrendered was going to be the top pick…they made a bunch of desperation deals just to win enough to make sure that they didn’t finish with the league’s worst record (no lottery back then).  And the Sharks were given the 2nd pick for joining the NHL…they selected Pat Falloon, who was pretty much the consensus #2 player in that draft (and more or less became a bust).  Had the Devils had the second pick, they may have taken him.  Everything worked out perfectly for them.  

I remember rooting hard for the Nordiques and against the Leafs in hopes that pick would be a number one and we’d draft Eric Lindros. 

Maybe if he and Stevens had been on the same team, he wouldn’t have gotten his eggs scrambled. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

But didn’t the Devils suck into landing some of their core pieces in the first place? Niedermayer was a #3OA, and Shanahan was a #2OA - and he turned into Scott Stevens. 

Yeah well I only started rooting for them when Marty joined and i was 8 years old i couldn't understand that stuff at that time lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.