Jump to content

Draft 2022 - Lottery - Devils get second pick!


Guadana
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't really care all that much what happens for the rest of the season. Sure it would be nice to lose out and have a better chance at drafting one of the top prospects. But this draft is tough to predict, and I have a feeling there will be a good player available where the Devils pick, regardless of what happens.

Similar to @Guadana, my list is Slafkovsky (1), Jiricek (2), Nemec (3). And if the Devils have a top 5 pick, there's a good chance at least one of them is available. I really think Slafkovsky not only is the best player in this draft outside of Wright, but he also would fill an organizational need. His raw numbers don't jump out at you too much, which hopefully means that other teams will be cautious about using a top 3 pick on him. The guy is essentially a perfect winger for Hughes.

I like Jiricek a lot because he is one of those complete package defensemen who has got size that he won't be afraid to use. This is something that I feel our team is lacking. Another reason I wanted Okhotiuk to get some games this season.

Nemec's production has been excellent this season, especially lately. I would be happy with this pick even if the Devils opt for him over Jiricek.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

"With the Montreal Canadiens currently sitting second-last in the overall standings, their odds of having the lottery balls gift them the first-overall pick are higher than most, possibly setting up a scenario that could see the league's oldest select the next face of the franchise in their home arena and in front of their own fanbase. "

It would be very funny if the reverse happens and they end up picking 3rd or whatever and they have to get the third best guy in front of their home crowd. Their fans would be so pissed lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yay another draft lottery to get excited about. Whoopity doo  

Still, a top 10 pick is still a top 10 pick. It’s a chance to add another piece to the team. I just can’t wait to not have to worry about lottery picks again. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yay another draft lottery to get excited about. Whoopity doo  

Still, a top 10 pick is still a top 10 pick. It’s a chance to add another piece to the team. I just can’t wait to not have to worry about lottery picks again. 

I honestly want to trade the pick for immediate help. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yay another draft lottery to get excited about. Whoopity doo  

Still, a top 10 pick is still a top 10 pick. It’s a chance to add another piece to the team. I just can’t wait to not have to worry about lottery picks again. 

Yeah with you on this.

And there’s a part of me that when this team finally turns the corner that will be thinking, “Well great, so you more or less sucked your way into building a team.”  I get it, franchises who are awful for a while do that…but something about that feels a little meh.  Not that I’ll care one bit of Hischier, the Hughes bros, and others are hoisting a Cup anytime in the near future.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I honestly want to trade the pick for immediate help. 

This would be the perfect year to trade that pick for a goalie.  It didn't end well with Schneider but I still loved that trade.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

This would be the perfect year to trade that pick for a goalie.  It didn't end well with Schneider but I still loved that trade.

Who is this golden goalie we should trade for?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

This would be the perfect year to trade that pick for a goalie.  It didn't end well with Schneider but I still loved that trade.

I wouldn’t be opposed. 

19 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Who is this golden goalie we should trade for?

That’s the issue with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

"With the Montreal Canadiens currently sitting second-last in the overall standings, their odds of having the lottery balls gift them the first-overall pick are higher than most, possibly setting up a scenario that could see the league's oldest select the next face of the franchise in their home arena and in front of their own fanbase. "

It would be very funny if the reverse happens and they end up picking 3rd or whatever and they have to get the third best guy in front of their home crowd. Their fans would be so pissed lol. 

This is one draft where not having the 1st overall is probably a good thing, because the best player could quite easily be anywhere from 1-15. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I wouldn’t be opposed. 

That’s the issue with it. 

The issue is no one in the past +\- 15 years who did trade top-7 pick, won this trade. May be there were exception. 
And there are no team in the league who will trade young goalie with high potential to be NHL starter like Wallstedt, and no one will trade real NHL good 24-26yo starter. 
I don`t know, may be Jets can ask something big+1st pick for Hellebuyck, but he have only two years on his deal.

There are no good trades for the Devils. Only dangerous gambles or losing options. If we talk about goalies.

Situation is really sh!tty. I don`t see any good and realistic option for the trade. For the 1st pick or something else. Hope Fitz will find the solution.

3 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

I don’t know man, I’m not a GM. I didn’t know about Schneider either but somehow it got done.

Ofcourse if scouts will find good option and team - trade partner will agree to trade for - I`m not against. But there are no option who deserve to be traded for high pick, or this options cost more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xxchaznjxx said:

I don’t know man, I’m not a GM. I didn’t know about Schneider either but somehow it got done.

Lou was supposedly interested in Schneider for over a year before Vancouver finally gave him up. I remember both him and Luongo were playing well but Luongo had the big contract so the rumor was they wanted to keep Schneider and trade Luongo. I guess Lou waited them out, so I wonder if Fitz has anyone like that who he’s been looking at. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This is one draft where not having the 1st overall is probably a good thing, because the best player could quite easily be anywhere from 1-15. 

It would also free them up to grab a defenseman instead of Shane Wright. Nemec being a RHD would be an ideal pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that I think we need to keep in mind is that the fact we're likely getting a top-7 pick this season is absolutely gravy.  In normal circumstances (ahem, average goaltending, ahem), we're most likely drafting around 12th-14th overall.

Getting another top tier high first round selection is a bonus, we shouldn't even be there, this team isn't as bad as their record. It's unfortunate if we don't get one of the 2 RD, but that's how I see it right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Been seeing a lot of talk around Nazar since Guadana mentioned him. 

This was an interesting debate by some of the scouts at EP.

 

 

He’s an interesting prospect for sure. With Fitz’s talk about getting bigger, interior forwards in the pipeline, I could see Fitz going for Cutter Gauthier (badass name by the way). Great goalscoring ability, compete level, drives the net hard, has skill and goes hard in the corners. He’s the most “Tkachuk-esque” as it gets from what I’ve seen this draft. A nice mix of skill and grit. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/526094/cutter-gauthier

 

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Lou was supposedly interested in Schneider for over a year before Vancouver finally gave him up. I remember both him and Luongo were playing well but Luongo had the big contract so the rumor was they wanted to keep Schneider and trade Luongo. I guess Lou waited them out, so I wonder if Fitz has anyone like that who he’s been looking at. 

That’s what I’m hoping for. Admittedly I don’t follow anyone other than the Devils that closely anymore so I’m not sure who would even be our Schneider in this trade. But I know that there’s no one worthy in FA nor in the draft and we don’t have anyone in the system ready to carry the team, so if we’re not trading for a goalie, where are we getting one? There has to be an upgrade next season. I liked the Blackwood/Bernier combo this season but we can’t go into next season with only them again. I’m not sure how we fix our most glaring weakness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2022 at 5:19 AM, Devs3cups said:

He’s an interesting prospect for sure. With Fitz’s talk about getting bigger, interior forwards in the pipeline, I could see Fitz going for Cutter Gauthier (badass name by the way). Great goalscoring ability, compete level, drives the net hard, has skill and goes hard in the corners. He’s the most “Tkachuk-esque” as it gets from what I’ve seen this draft. A nice mix of skill and grit. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/526094/cutter-gauthier

 

Can’t imagine he will draft Cutter over Slaf, Jiricek or Nemec. But if they are gone - he and Nazar are my top priorities and I think Fitzy’s too. 
Of course Slaf and Jiricek are two best options, but I can’t imagine how they can be available for 5-6 pick. I think even with 4th pick there are big chance that both were gone. 
I really want some luck on the lottery day this year. 2-3 pick would be freakin great for organization. Slaf and Jiricek have potential to be best one of the best winger and one of the best defenseman in the league. Other guys are very talented and will be great complimentary players anyway.

 

Cutter Gauthier would be great compliment for our center. He makes every line better and help to safe the puck in the offensive zone. And he is smart enough to be not only big guy. He is very good scorer. In the last 10-15 years only Cofield, Matthews and Wahlstrom have better gpg rate in ushl/usntdp. 

Btw it’s a rare draft where are about 4-5 players in the first round with good potential to be power forward in nhl. Would be great to get rid of Smith or(and) Zacha to pick some  talent in the second half of the first round(if Fitz will not find hockey trade for goalie/third line two way forward/RD).

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Guadana said:

Can’t imagine he will draft Cutter over Slaf, Jiricek or Nemec. But if they are gone - he and Nazar are my top priorities and I think Fitzy’s too. 
Of course Slaf and Jiricek are two best options, but I can’t imagine how they can be available for 5-6 pick. I think even with 4th pick there are big chance that both were gone. 
I really want some luck on the lottery day this year. 2-3 pick would be freakin great for organization. Slaf and Jiricek have potential to be best one of the best winger and one of the best defenseman in the league. Other guys are very talented and will be great complimentary players anyway.

 

Cutter Gauthier would be great compliment for our center. He makes every line better and help to safe the puck in the offensive zone. And he is smart enough to be not only big guy. He is very good scorer. In the last 10-15 years only Cofield, Matthews and Wahlstrom have better gpg rate in ushl/usntdp. 

Btw it’s a rare draft where are about 4-5 players in the first round with good potential to be power forward in nhl. Would be great to get rid of Smith or(and) Zacha to pick some  talent in the second half of the first round(if Fitz will not find hockey trade for goalie/third line two way forward/RD).

They have to get rid of Zacha at the very least. He's dead weight at this point and will be looking for a nice new contract.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

They have to get rid of Zacha at the very least. He's dead weight at this point and will be looking for a nice new contract.

No one’s giving him one right now.  He’ll get a one-year deal via the Devils or arbitration, then will be moved and given a chance to prove himself to his new team.  He might’ve gotten a solid extension had he built off his prior production, but he blew it.  And he’s had enough time here…he’s now 25 years old.  Time to move on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Three games to go and the flyers are 1 point behind us with the same number of games played. Seattle are 4 points back with 4 games remaining. 

Flyers have got the Blackhawks, Jets and the Senators. Two of those are perfectly winnable. Seattle have San Jose, Jets, Vancouver and LA. That looks a bit tougher. 

I think there is a good chance we finish below the Flyers. Seattle seems unlikely. I would love to get third overall, think it gives us the chance to make the pick we want to make without pressure. It always feels like in years where there is no clear #1 teams with 1st or 2nd feel the pressure to make a safe pick and go with a consensus choice rather than the pick they want to make. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. Top 3 pick would be awesome. Slafkovsky and Jiricek are great prospects and what devils need a lot at the same time. No matter who would be available, it would be perfect for Devils organization. Today Philly will play with Chicago, and it’s a good for the devils, especially if they will play 3 pts game. Our schedule is easy, but our goaltending and lack of 1A and 1B centers could “help”. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.