GDT: Stars @ Devils 7PM 1/25/22

Nicomo

From day one, we all knew that this would be a playoffs bubble team at the absolute best. But at this point of the season, not even the blindest optimists (i.e. Fitz) could possibly believe that this season is anything but done. It's the injuries, the disappointing seasons from players like Kuokkanen and Sharangovich (for much of the season, at least), it's the hot starts from players that just fizzled out. But above all else, it's this atrocious goaltending situation. I'll give Fitzgerald credit where it's due, that heading into this season, we looked like we were in excellent shape from a goaltending standpoint. Can't blame anyone that the top two goaltenders got injured.

But I think it's absolutely inexcusable that Fitzgerald has done almost nothing to address this problem since then. When Fitzgerald traded for Gillies, I half-facetiously said that it's a problem when you trade for a position of need and all you gave up were "future considerations". Now, Gillies is the closest thing we have to a starting goalie for the foreseeable future, and Fitzgerald has not done anything to fix that situation. It is completely unfair to throw Schmid into the fire like this. He's a player that was in the USHL last season. Guy finds his groove as an AHL rookie, and honestly looked like one of the better prospects in the system, and now is being totally exposed as an inexperienced goaltender, which seems awful for his development.

I understand that Blackwood just recently got on IR, but I find it hard to believe that Fitzgerald knew nothing about him having a nagging injury. Clearly, it explains his poor play this season. I'm not sure why there was no plan B in place after Gillies.

Time to count down to the trade deadline and #SellForKemell.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nessus said:

From day one, we all knew that this would be a playoffs bubble team at the absolute best. But at this point of the season, not even the blindest optimists (i.e. Fitz) could possibly believe that this season is anything but done. It's the injuries, the disappointing seasons from players like Kuokkanen and Sharangovich (for much of the season, at least), it's the hot starts from players that just fizzled out. But above all else, it's this atrocious goaltending situation. I'll give Fitzgerald credit where it's due, that heading into this season, we looked like we were in excellent shape from a goaltending standpoint. Can't blame anyone that the top two goaltenders got injured.

But I think it's absolutely inexcusable that Fitzgerald has done almost nothing to address this problem since then. When Fitzgerald traded for Gillies, I half-facetiously said that it's a problem when you trade for a position of need and all you gave up were "future considerations". Now, Gillies is the closest thing we have to a starting goalie for the foreseeable future, and Fitzgerald has not done anything to fix that situation. It is completely unfair to throw Schmid into the fire like this. He's a player that was in the USHL last season. Guy finds his groove as an AHL rookie, and honestly looked like one of the better prospects in the system, and now is being totally exposed as an inexperienced goaltender, which seems awful for his development.

I understand that Blackwood just recently got on IR, but I find it hard to believe that Fitzgerald knew nothing about him having a nagging injury. Clearly, it explains his poor play this season. I'm not sure why there was no plan B in place after Gillies.

Time to count down to the trade deadline and #SellForKemell.

Fitz has to know about his nagging injury cause we knew about it.

I'm not sure why this is like news to some people? His heel was bothering him during the pre-season and they kept mentioning it through the season up til now. It never really went away

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Fitz has to know about his nagging injury cause we knew about it.

I'm not sure why this is like news to some people? His heel was bothering him during the pre-season and they kept mentioning it through the season up til now. It never really went away

I mean didn’t he start the season on IR because of it? So yeah, not surprised. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean didn’t he start the season on IR because of it? So yeah, not surprised. 

yeah that's what im saying. He had a heel surgery in the summer and it's been a problem in the pre-season and he came back and its been mentioned throughout. 

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

So after all that the chart says McLeod had one less SOG than Jack. Interesting for sure. Every attempt hit the net.

No. Shot attempts are not the same as SOG. Jack lead the team with 7 SOG. McLeod had 0. 

3 hours ago, Fansinz88 said:

It’s been 19 years since a cup. 10 since finals. Nothing wrong here folks. Answers in the room. Thanks Fitz. 

I feel like i want address this doom and gloom take cause it's really not as bad as it seem when you look around the league in context.

First of all, yeah it's been 19 years since our last cup. But since then, only 10 teams won it. (Bolts, Blues, Caps, Pens, Hawks, Kings, Bruins, Red Wings, Ducks and the Canes.) There was 30 teams in the NHL when we last won the cup. Meaning there's 19 of them who didn't win since we did. 

As for the last finals appearance, same thing, only 12 teams made it to the finals since we did in 2012. Bolts, Blues, Caps, Pens, Hawks, Kings, Bruins, Canes, Sharks, Golden Knights, Rangers and the Habs. (and some of those teams are in worse shape than we are at the moment). So same thing. 30 teams in the league in 2012. Do the math again and see how many teams didn't make it for even longer. 

I know it sucks but if you feel like a martyr as a fan, take a little look around the league and you'll realize that MOST teams in the league has it a LOT worst than us. Hell some teams never made it to the finals or won cups.

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I know it sucks but if you feel like a martyr as a fan, take a little look around the league and you'll realize that MOST teams in the league has it a LOT worst than us. Hell some teams never made it to the finals or won cups.

I'll settle for meaningful games in March and April. Given the way the team has played for the past 10 years, 2018 is an oasis of awesomeness, Kinkaid's Twitter recaps and all. 

44 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

No. Shot attempts are not the same as SOG. Jack lead the team with 7 SOG. McLeod had 0. 

thanks Nicomo. So what's the chart showing what is a shot assist (a pass that lead to a shot?). A shot attempt would be? anything directed at the goal where it's on goal or not? - serious question.

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Not surrounding Jack with better talent (outside of Bratt) is absolutely criminal. 

Look at who Nico is playing with!!!!

I like Veasey, but guy 4th line material. Tatar looks like Palms did towards the end, except we never got the good seasons out of him before. 

We have the spine of this team in Nico , Jack and Mercer who can be incredible for a long time , and we are giving them scrubs to work with. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I feel like i want address this doom and gloom take cause it's really not as bad as it seem when you look around the league in context.

First of all, yeah it's been 19 years since our last cup. But since then, only 10 teams won it. (Bolts, Blues, Caps, Pens, Hawks, Kings, Bruins, Red Wings, Ducks and the Canes.) There was 30 teams in the NHL when we last won the cup. Meaning there's 19 of them who didn't win since we did. 

As for the last finals appearance, same thing, only 12 teams made it to the finals since we did in 2012. Bolts, Blues, Caps, Pens, Hawks, Kings, Bruins, Canes, Sharks, Golden Knights, Rangers and the Habs. (and some of those teams are in worse shape than we are at the moment). So same thing. 30 teams in the league in 2012. Do the math again and see how many teams didn't make it for even longer. 

So how close do you think this “not that bad” team is? Please tell us. 

8 hours ago, titans04 said:

thanks Nicomo. So what's the chart showing what is a shot assist (a pass that lead to a shot?). A shot attempt would be? anything directed at the goal where it's on goal or not? - serious question.

That's exactly right.  Shot attempt is basically anything a player sends towards the net - so shots on goal, misses, posts, blocks.  And shot assists are times a player passed to someone who felt like they are in a good enough position to send a shot towards the net.  So the graph is showing just how much offense Jack has created.  You can see how much he and Bratt are feeding Rango.  Yegor has more shot attempts than everyone else (less Jack) has shot attempts + assists.

This is why it would be just ducky if Fitzgerald can throw a true sniper on Jack's wing.  Imagine a player who can be more efficient at converting those opportunities.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 2

The problem with Cordell's charts is that it shows the lines at the start of the game.  After the first period, Sharangovich and Vesey were moved down while Johnsson was moved up.  The Hughes line started playing a bit better after Sharangovich was moved down and Johnsson was moved to it.  The lines later became even more jumbled after McLeod left the game.  Therefore, to extrapolate performances on players based on linemates they didn't play with after 1 period is silly.

However, these kinds of things aren't and probably won't be explained by the stat nerds as they can never be wrong about anything.

27 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The problem with Cordell's charts is that it shows the lines at the start of the game.  After the first period, Sharangovich and Vesey were moved down while Johnsson was moved up.  The Hughes line started playing a bit better after Sharangovich was moved down and Johnsson was moved to it.  The lines later became even more jumbled after McLeod left the game.  Therefore, to extrapolate performances on players based on linemates they didn't play with after 1 period is silly.

However, these kinds of things aren't and probably won't be explained by the stat nerds as they can never be wrong about anything.

I just don't think there is a better way of displaying that.  You need to read the chart with the understanding that the three players in the groupings were not on the ice at exactly the same time from start to finish.  The chart obviously also includes power plays, and some of the shot assists were to defensemen and not just the forwards in the grouping.  I don't think the creator of the chart intended for the reader to think that these guys were strapped together but more so to get an idea of where the offense is coming from.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Look at who Nico is playing with!!!!

I like Veasey, but guy 4th line material. Tatar looks like Palms did towards the end, except we never got the good seasons out of him before. 

We have the spine of this team in Nico , Jack and Mercer who can be incredible for a long time , and we are giving them scrubs to work with. 

It's an issue but a sniper is not going to fix this team's defensive and goaltending warts. The Devils on many nights are not a hard team to play against. That's a coaching issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

I just don't think there is a better way of displaying that.  You need to read the chart with the understanding that the three players in the groupings were not on the ice at exactly the same time from start to finish.  The chart obviously also includes power plays, and some of the shot assists were to defensemen and not just the forwards in the grouping.  I don't think the creator of the chart intended for the reader to think that these guys were strapped together but more so to get an idea of where the offense is coming from.

If his intentions were show individual efforts, then he wouldn't have grouped them together by lines.  However, he did so there is that.

Plus the chart doesn't really show anything that the eye test couldn't see last night.  Hughes/Bratt = good and everyone else = not so good.

Tom, please drink a large pot of coffee, grab a pen and sheet of paper, and make plans to do the following this year:

1. Trade Subban for whatever we can get. 

2. Trade Zacha as part of a package. Bring in a winger or two who can score more than 2 goals in 20 games. See what defensemen are available as well.

3. Make wholesale changes to the coaching staff once the season mercifully ends.

4. Draft a real goaltending prospect and sign an NHL caliber goalie if available to immediately provide relief to our failing goalie tandems. 

5. If you refuse to do any or all of the above, please resign. 

Thank you.