GDT - Devils vs Lightning 1/27/22 7pm MSG+

NJDfan1711

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Fun fact: Dougie Hamilton has missed 12 games and still has more points than Pavel Zacha (as does Severson). 

I can’t believe I fell for it again with him. 

I still give Zacha the rest of this season to pick it up again, but it's the WAY that he's slumping that's concerning...if it was sh!t luck or loud scoring chances or him simply being snakebit, that would be one thing.  But I've barely noticed him lately, and I really thought we were at least past that version of Zacha...the one who would disappear for weeks at a time.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I still give Zacha the rest of this season to pick it up again, but it's the WAY that he's slumping that's concerning...if it was sh!t luck or loud scoring chances or him simply being snakebit, that would be one thing.  But I've barely noticed him lately, and I really thought we were at least past that version of Zacha...the one who would disappear for weeks at a time.  

Same thing as he's always been - he hits adversity (aka a cold streak) and instead of powering through it he just disappears and shrinks into the background.

Cannot wait until we move on from him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Same thing as he's always been - he hits adversity (aka a cold streak) and instead of powering through it he just disappears and shrinks into the background.

Cannot wait until we move on from him.

There aren't a whole lot of Devils lately who've managed 29 G and 31 A over an 84-game stretch though...he's not too far removed from that.  If it was some 20 or 30 game sample of increased offense, I'd be a lot quicker to move on from him.  I really would like to think those 84 games weren't a total fluke...but this slump is now up to 7 points (3 G and 4 A) in his last 25 GP.  It's hard not to feel some level of concern, as much as I'm trying to be patient with him for now.   

That being said, I maintain that if he doesn't get it going again and basically finishes this season having done very little after a fine start, I'm not going to be heartbroken if the Devils explore moving him...but given that he's an arbitration-eligible RFA, not sure how much the Devils can do, until they sign him...if push comes to shove, I still suspect he'll get a two-year "It's now or never pal" deal that shouldn't be too hard to move.     

Zacha has over 355 games played you guys giving him any hints of a pass are very kind. It took him years to get going to begin with (not even sure what the definition of getting going is for him honestly. He's cheap and he's a bottom feeder in the lineup after all this time. Part of the delayed taking the next step forward for this group. Nice guy though I'm sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well said. It’s not that he’s not producing. It’s the ZERO effort he gives night in, night out. I’ve defended guys who aren’t producing but are doing the little things to help and getting chances. Zacha isn’t one of those guys. I don’t care how many points he has. He’s one of those guys that when things get rough, he cowers and hides.

He literally coasts around the ice and is the most invisible player on the ice until his inevitable puck turnovers. I used to be a big Zacha defender but I’m done with his lazy ass. There are certain players that are just not winners. You’ll never see a cup team with a player like Pavel Zacha (also see Damon Severson).

Edited by devlman

6 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Zacha has over 355 games played you guys giving him any hints of a pass are very kind. It took him years to get going to begin with (not even sure what the definition of getting going is for him honestly. He's cheap and he's a bottom feeder in the lineup after all this time. Part of the delayed taking the next step forward for this group. Nice guy though I'm sure.

In his defense, due to the state of the Devils, he was probably brought up too early, and it's not a stretch to think that some of his earlier developmental years may have been mishandled.

And he recently enjoyed about as a productive of a stretch as any Devil not named Taylor Hall, Kyle Palmieri, or Jesper Bratt (who now has 29 G and 56 A in his last 105 NHL games).

BUT, having appeared to turn the corner, he can't now regress to the point where it's the same ol same ol from him.  You can slump (most players do), but it can't go on forever.  The longer he's not producing, the more fair it becomes to wonder how much he can really be counted on...especially for offense, which the Devils sorely need.

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

Well said. It’s not that he’s not producing. It’s the ZERO effort he gives night in, night out. I’ve defended guys who aren’t producing but are doing the little things to help and getting chances. Zacha isn’t one of those guys. I don’t care how many points he has. He’s one of those guys that when things get rough, he cowers and hides.

He literally coasts around the ice and is the most invisible player on the ice until his inevitable puck turnovers. I used to be a big Zacha defender but I’m done with his lazy ass. There are certain players that are just not winners. You’ll never see a cup team with a player like Pavel Zacha.

He's about to finish his 6th NHL season (though he's played the equivalent of less than 5 seasons, in terms of actual GP), and next year will be his Age 25 season.  His first 3.5 seasons were "OK, he's getting a little better each year, baby steps, occasional teases", then what felt like a true breakout that started late in Year 4 and carried on through the beginning of Year 6...then this latest disappearing act.  If he keeps playing like this, even his staunchest defenders are going to have a difficult time looking for ways to prop him up.  

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You and me both.

You and him and me three.

Sure feels like Bratt's going to get a nice extension offer, while Zacha will get a lukewarm "Let's avoid arbitration, but you're not getting more than two years."    

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You and him and me three.

Sure feels like Bratt's going to get a nice extension offer, while Zacha will get a lukewarm "Let's avoid arbitration, but you're not getting more than two years."    

Zacha might not even be around. His agent threatened KHL last time he was a free agent and the Devils might call his bluff if he tries again. He doesn’t have much leverage. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Zacha might not even be around. His agent threatened KHL last time he was a free agent and the Devils might call his bluff if he tries again. He doesn’t have much leverage. 

Quick reminder of who Zacha's agent is:

• Like 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d let him go if I didn’t know what we’d be slotting in in his place. 

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Stefan should never have played another game out of sheer embarrassment. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Oh I know. I had hoped maybe he could give Zacha a lesson on wasted potential but it looks like he’s going down the same path. I’ve defended Zacha plenty but he looks lost these days. 

4 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

20220119_205951.thumb.jpg.0e09d0dca496bcac38878818a9b29d55.jpg

Let me again express my intense displeasure that the only time this assgoblin did anything was when I had to buy his jersey if he did. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Let me again express my intense displeasure that the only time this assgoblin did anything was when I had to buy his jersey if he did. 

Honestly I'm so done with Zacha. I wish they let him walk the first time he threatened to leave for the KHL.

Funny that "work ethic" was a known weakness when they drafted him. Ya think? Lol. 

Screenshot_20220128-150901_YouTube.jpg

19 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Honestly I'm so done with Zacha. I wish they let him walk the first time he threatened to leave for the KHL.

Funny that "work ethic" was a known weakness when they drafted him. Ya think? Lol. 

Screenshot_20220128-150901_YouTube.jpg

Engaging physically being a weakness was spot on as well. Dude is 6’3 210 but you would never know it. 

• Like 1

Zacha is disappointing. He showed some tremendous skill last season, and we haven't seen it too often in 2022. The spin-o-rama give-and-go against Boston was memorable. 

I would imagine we could get something decent for him in a trade. I'll bet at least one or two teams are intrigued, thinking he just needs to get away from a losing franchise. 

9 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Zacha is disappointing. He showed some tremendous skill last season, and we haven't seen it too often in 2022. The spin-o-rama give-and-go against Boston was memorable. 

I would imagine we could get something decent for him in a trade. I'll bet at least one or two teams are intrigued, thinking he just needs to get away from a losing franchise. 

Isn't Zacha a "decent" bottom 6?  Some guys don't live up to their "draft"  hype.  I've defended him for years.  If you can get something decent for him, go for it.