GDT - Devils vs Lightning 1/27/22 7pm MSG+

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Wait…what’s this now? Hedman? 

Engblom. I did multiple google searches to prove My point but he used to wear these stupid gold framed bifocals back in the Devils’ glory days when we’d have meaningful hockey on ESPN, and his stupid mullet. I’ll never forget the look

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Funny how, you motherfvcker?!

Are you trying to do GoodFellas?

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Dougie? 

Forgot about Douglas. Nope, I would not trade him.

Just now, jagknife said:

You didn’t forget, you remembered his NMC, clearly

Oh yeah, that, definitely lol. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

That’s where my mind goes when someone mentions breaking balls. 

Now go home and get your shine box!

Disagree with you as I do, you are a sh!t load of fun. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nessus said:

That Hughes goal was a thing of beauty. It's the manifestation of when we said Hughes is going to skate circles around the opposition some day. Bratt, too.

Them boys can move. Imagine putting a sniper (like Holtz if he works out) with them…

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

that OR i really like Bratt and he's our leading scorer

I mean yeah, it could be that. 

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Them boys can move. Imagine putting a sniper (like Holtz if he works out) with them…

Which is exactly why I think moving Bratt would be counterproductive. You’re 2/3 of the way there…

4 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

Look I'm all for disagreements when they contain reasonable debate..I like MB30, but his version of debate is to call other people names. Always has been. 

wait what happened now 

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

My side had a reasonable debate and im pretty confident my angle / explanation is fair even if someone wouldn't agree.

But yeah i guess if you don't have that you might as well use insults, i mean... what else can you do? 

Literally nobody was even talking about that though. You and I have already discussed this like six times. We disagreed, we moved on, and then you found a very weird and random way to bring it back up. 

I was replying to someone saying, once again, that we should trade our 21 year old defenseman who is now quite literally 8 months removed from a near-ROY season at his lowest possible value. I think that’s stupid. That has nothing to do with Spencer Knight, regardless of how many times you follow me into a thread and bring it back up.

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Literally nobody was even talking about that though. You and I have already discussed this like six times. We disagreed, we moved on, and then you found a very weird and random way to bring it back up. 

I was replying to someone saying, once again, that we should trade our 21 year old defenseman who is now quite literally 8 months removed from a near-ROY season at his lowest possible value. I think that’s stupid. That has nothing to do with Spencer Knight, regardless of how many times you follow me into a thread and bring it back up.

Someone made a comment to which you replied

“Let’s trade our young player at his lowest possible value” -this forum, all the fvcking time, for some fvcking idiotic reason."

And i personally thought it was amusing that you'd call out other trade proposal "idiotic" when you made one yourself (in my opinion) a few days before. It was not that weird and random. It was really one of those silver plater thing that didn't require much effort or "following around". 

Also, don't act like you never randomly threw a random jab at me for fun when i wasn't even part of the conversation lol c'mon now. We both know you did. 

You're really a "like to dish it but don't like to take it" kind of guy eh haha

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean yeah, it could be that. 

Which is exactly why I think moving Bratt would be counterproductive. You’re 2/3 of the way there…

For a second let’s pretend you can guarantee Spencer Knight becomes MAF. There are no guarantees but for the sake of argument, let’s pretend. Do you think a PPG winger is worth MAF? 

Because here’s what I see: I see a team that’s bursting with potential. I see a team that this year — even this hideous year! — has been elite 5 on 5. I see a bubble team that is at the bottom of the standings because they’ve gotten atrocious goaltending. Not just bad goaltending, not just iffy goaltending — worst in the national hockey league bad goaltending.

So I now see a team that has some sweet offensive pieces. Nico, Jack, Holtz, and Mercer are all early-20s hockey players and they all (Holtz being the iffiest) look like they’re going to be bonifide studs around for a long time.

I also see a team that’s going to get better defensively. Hamilton will be elite for 5 more years. Graves is a great piece. Ty Smith will bounce back because players don’t have career-years at 19 years old. On the pipeline, everyone can’t stop talking about how good Mukhmadulin looks. Luke Hughes is the organization’s best defensive prospect since Niedermayer. Even Siegenthaler looks like he’ll be a reliable 5th/6th defenseman for a long time! 

What don’t I see, though? I don’t see an answer in net. Blackwood is a mental midget and that much has become obvious. He may be a serviceable 1B type goalie if he ever gets his head out of his a$$hole but I’m not going to hold my breath. Free agency CLEARLY doesn’t work for goalies, but I think 29 other teams would’ve rushed to tell you that while we were enjoying 2 decades of Brodeur. So where is the answer coming from? 

You can find a free agent winger, dime a dozen. You can strike gold on a random 6th rounder and have him play on the top line with Jack.

Goalies are different. You can’t buy them. If you draft them, you’re 4+ years out. You either take a risk and trade for them, or you don’t. And I know it’s a risk, but if it wasn’t a risk the Devils would have no chance at getting a player of that caliber. Teams aren’t just offering up their Vasilevskis for the Jesper Bratts of the world.

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Someone made a comment to which you replied

And i personally thought it was amusing that you'd call out other trade proposal "idiotic" when you made one yourself (in my opinion) a few days before. It was not that weird and random. It was really one of those silver plater thing that didn't require much effort or "following around". 

Also, don't act like you never randomly threw a random jab at me for fun when i wasn't even part of the conversation lol c'mon now. We both know you did. 

You're really a "like to dish it but don't like to take it" kind of guy eh haha

But… it is irrelevant. Jesper Bratt is at his highest possible value and I’m not proposing we trade him for peanuts. What am I missing here? 

I take it plenty. My wife is latin, there’s not much you can say to me that will surprise me. I just think it’s a weird connection to make. 

The way Bob has been playing, there are lesser, more expendable pieces to give that would yield Spencer Knight. You don’t start out by offering a franchise cornerstone.

For instance, this year’s 1st + a prospect not named Holtz + Miles Wood, or a Severson would do it. We could even throw in Smith just for fun.

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

But… it is irrelevant. Jesper Bratt is at his highest possible value and I’m not proposing we trade him for peanuts. What am I missing here? 

I take it plenty. My wife is latin, there’s not much you can say to me that will surprise me. I just think it’s a weird connection to make. 

No you're suggesting that we're trading him for a "gamble", that for all we know... may or may not be peanuts when it's all said and done. Goalies, even established ones are historically inconsistent. A goalie can be on the top of the world one year and hit rock bottom the next, we've seen it countless times.  Or a goalie can suck ass on a team and sign with a new team and become a top goalie in the league, we've seen it all.

Just look at Knight's partner himself. He was on top of the world in Colombus for years. Signed with Florida, sucked hard for 2 years. Now he's back. 

Also, how do we know that this is Bratt at his highest possible value? And i don't think that in the situation that we're in and barely poking our heads out of the water that we should gamble one of our buoy.

40 minutes ago, MB3 said:

For a second let’s pretend you can guarantee Spencer Knight becomes MAF. There are no guarantees but for the sake of argument, let’s pretend. Do you think a PPG winger is worth MAF? 

Because here’s what I see: I see a team that’s bursting with potential. I see a team that this year — even this hideous year! — has been elite 5 on 5. I see a bubble team that is at the bottom of the standings because they’ve gotten atrocious goaltending. Not just bad goaltending, not just iffy goaltending — worst in the national hockey league bad goaltending.

So I now see a team that has some sweet offensive pieces. Nico, Jack, Holtz, and Mercer are all early-20s hockey players and they all (Holtz being the iffiest) look like they’re going to be bonifide studs around for a long time.

I also see a team that’s going to get better defensively. Hamilton will be elite for 5 more years. Graves is a great piece. Ty Smith will bounce back because players don’t have career-years at 19 years old. On the pipeline, everyone can’t stop talking about how good Mukhmadulin looks. Luke Hughes is the organization’s best defensive prospect since Niedermayer. Even Siegenthaler looks like he’ll be a reliable 5th/6th defenseman for a long time! 

What don’t I see, though? I don’t see an answer in net. Blackwood is a mental midget and that much has become obvious. He may be a serviceable 1B type goalie if he ever gets his head out of his a$$hole but I’m not going to hold my breath. Free agency CLEARLY doesn’t work for goalies, but I think 29 other teams would’ve rushed to tell you that while we were enjoying 2 decades of Brodeur. So where is the answer coming from? 

You can find a free agent winger, dime a dozen. You can strike gold on a random 6th rounder and have him play on the top line with Jack.

Goalies are different. You can’t buy them. If you draft them, you’re 4+ years out. You either take a risk and trade for them, or you don’t. And I know it’s a risk, but if it wasn’t a risk the Devils would have no chance at getting a player of that caliber. Teams aren’t just offering up their Vasilevskis for the Jesper Bratts of the world.

So with Bobrovski being 33 years old already. Why would Florida trade their "future MAF" for a "dime a dozen" winger exactly?

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So with Bobrovski being 33 years old already. Why would Florida trade their "future MAF" for a "dime a dozen" winger exactly?

My man if you read my whole post and that was your takeaway I’m not sure there’s any point in continuing this discussion, haha. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

My man if you read my whole post and that was your takeaway I’m not sure there’s any point in continuing this discussion, haha. 

No that was just a little extra to my actual response to you with several points made.

But it was also a question. Do you think Florida is making this trade?

That’s the thing - Florida isn’t going to trade Knight, so all of this back and forth is completely pointless. He’s the heir apparent, and they’re already a legit contender without needing to add a Jesper Bratt. 

• Like 1