Another New New Jersey Devils Jersey ?

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Yeah I don't understand this.  The Devils have a red, white, and green retro jersey.  If they are moving on from the green and, like you said, the 90s jerseys are now considered retro, then the only thing I could think of would be a black primary jersey based off the 90s template.  Which seems a little forced at this point.  Or a "redo" of the new black jerseys.

Something as close to MB3’s black 3rd as possible…especially since several teams didn’t really follow what the RR was truly supposed to be.  Consider it a do-over for Jersey jerseys.

I have a feeling it could be Rockies-related…there’s just enough of them worn at Devils games that some suit will again overestimate the actual interest re:  that part of this franchise’s history.  Or even something that honors both the Scouts and the Rockies…I hope not.

There's a site that's made up their own version of a Rockies-inspired RR...not going to lie, I do kind of like it:

Reverse Retro Colorado Rockies Jersey #reverseretro

BUT, I don't think this would appeal to most of the fan base at all...so I'd much rather something Devils-related, that being MB3's design, or a look inspired by the original red, black, and whites.  There's a lot of possibilities that could really be sharp (and don't need to be based on anything prior to 1982).     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

The only concept I can think of that's even a little "reverse retro" would be to take the original jersey design and just sub out the green for black. Retro jersey in current colors, in other words. Or make the base color black with red and white, essentially the 90's Starter version. 

Let's not forget, though, how loosely "Reverse Retro" was applied by some teams; they really could do whatever they want. 

I don't favor doing anything that involves the Rockies or Scouts. It was a million years ago and I don't believe more than 10 people in our entire fan base think about those teams at all. There was no long tradition or history. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It was a million years ago and I don't believe more than 10 people in our entire fan base think about those teams at all. There was no long tradition or history. 

Same can be said for the Newark Bulldogs, but the marketing geniuses keep forcing that irrelevant story line down our throats every few days.  I fully expect to see a Newark Bulldogs jersey (with their logo as the crest) pitched as our reverse retro 2.0.  Then they will sell it as just another homage to the long tradition of professional hockey in the garden state, and part of their greater rebrand of the franchise that apparently became stale because we didn't have a 3rd jersey for 38 years and not because the on ice product is completely unwatchable most nights.

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The only concept I can think of that's even a little "reverse retro" would be to take the original jersey design and just sub out the green for black. Retro jersey in current colors, in other words. Or make the base color black with red and white, essentially the 90's Starter version. 

Let's not forget, though, how loosely "Reverse Retro" was applied by some teams; they really could do whatever they want. 

I don't favor doing anything that involves the Rockies or Scouts. It was a million years ago and I don't believe more than 10 people in our entire fan base think about those teams at all. There was no long tradition or history. 

Yeah I called some teams out on that at the time...some basically made new thirds.  Some teams came up with cool ideas, but weren't REALLY in the spirit of what "Reverse Retro" was supposed to be.  The Devils followed the "rules" completely.

This round shouldn't be another color palette swap on an otherwise unchanged template.  If the Devils go the 90's black Starter jersey as a starting point, and either eliminate that jersey's red shoulder yoke, or keep the yoke and add a white border to it (similar to the current RR shoulder yoke), I think that would be a solid enough design to appeal to most, that pays a solid homage to the original red-and-blacks.

Agree re:  the Rockies and Scouts...I'm guessing the overall reaction would be in "WTF?" territory.  A large chunk of the fanbase still knows very little about the Scouts and Rockies...and considering that one team existed for all of two seasons and the second one barely made it through six, there's just to force their heritage onto the ice.  The Adidas jerseys suffered from unnecessary shoehorning in of elements from the Scouts (neck area) and Rockies (floatie sleeve stripes)...please don't do that to us again.   

12 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Same can be said for the Newark Bulldogs, but the marketing geniuses keep forcing that irrelevant story line down our throats every few days.  I fully expect to see a Newark Bulldogs jersey (with their logo as the crest) pitched as our reverse retro 2.0.  Then they will sell it as just another homage to the long tradition of professional hockey in the garden state, and part of their greater rebrand of the franchise that apparently became stale because we didn't have a 3rd jersey for 38 years and not because the on ice product is completely unwatchable most nights.

This is all about some corporate dweebuses trying to be far more clever than they could ever hope to be.  It's annoying as can be...just stop trying make fan interest in the fvcking Newark Bulldogs a thing.  Fetch has a better chance of happening.

The RR 2.0 was confirmed a few months back but now it is gaining more traction since dealers are having to put in their orders so that they can receive it for next season.

From what I hearing, there are two things about next year's RR program:

1) They are largely only going to be worn in Nov and Dec months.

2) Apparently, some teams are really "bending" the definition of what a RR is.

If that is the case, I am expecting either a black version of the 90's and 2000's jersey design (very much in those black Starter fashion replica vein) or they are doing something that is Rockies or Scouts inspired.  It's also not like the latter is unprecedented as Carolina did the Whalers and Colorado did the Nordiques in their RR 1.0 designs.

58 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That EHL Devils crest is and has always been awesome.

If the Devils just RR'ed the EHL Devils jersey (swap the black and white areas), I'd jump on one of 'em.  It feels a hell of a lot more relevant than the friggin' Newark Bulldogs and whatever other teams the Devils saw fit to force into the Jersey jersey design.  

It's not a stretch to imagine the Devils coming up with something like the below, because you get the Scouts stripes with the Rockies logo...and it seems like whatever jerseys get designed under current ownership, they better pay homage to anybody except the Devils.  I can already picture the promotional photo, complete with text pointing out the specific "nod to this team" highlights...I'm guessing they'll add some bottom hem to this as well, just in case we dare to forget about the Bulldogs:

Colorado Rockies logo on Kansas City Scouts uniforms (goalie Doug Favell,  preseason 1976) : r/extinct_hockey

But yeah, in the end, I hope (pray?) that whatever the new RR is, that it's based off the black Starters.  Can't really go wrong there, even if it feels a little "safe".  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Reverse Retro Colorado Rockies Jersey #reverseretro

Can also see the Devils pulling a semi-LA Kings, and swapping out the yellow and blue on the above for white and black.  Still wouldn't be my first choice by a long shot, but could be worse.  

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils just RR'ed the EHL Devils jersey (swap the black and white areas), I'd jump on one of 'em.  It feels a hell of a lot more relevant than the friggin' Newark Bulldogs and whatever other teams the Devils saw fit to force into the Jersey jersey design.  

It's not a stretch to imagine the Devils coming up with something like the below, because you get the Scouts stripes with the Rockies logo...and it seems like whatever jerseys get designed under current ownership, they better pay homage to anybody except the Devils.  I can already picture the promotional photo, complete with text pointing out the specific "nod to this team" highlights...I'm guessing they'll add some bottom hem to this as well, just in case we dare to forget about the Bulldogs:

Colorado Rockies logo on Kansas City Scouts uniforms (goalie Doug Favell,  preseason 1976) : r/extinct_hockey

But yeah, in the end, I hope (pray?) that whatever the new RR is, that it's based off the black Starters.  Can't really go wrong there, even if it feels a little "safe".  

Don’t forget the “Marty and Elias and Stevens all sat together and designed this by hand!” part

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

That's not bad MB3...I might buy that too.  How about swapping the black and white areas?  And after that, maybe white for the outer stripes and red for the inner stripe?

They are just going to reverse the black and white stripes on the "Jersey" jerseys.😎

I remember when we made fun of the Rangers for what seemed to be another 3rd jersey every other year.

i'll just stick with my jerseys from the early 90's and championship eras 😃

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rock said:

They are just going to reverse the black and white stripes on the "Jersey" jerseys.😎

I remember when we made fun of the Rangers for what seemed to be another 3rd jersey every other year.

I have always been an advocate for having a third jersey, simply because I like them and I collect them. But between the RR and the “Jersey”, plus the two retros, yeah we’re good now. 

29 minutes ago, Rock said:

At least most of the Devils' "other jerseys" were solid:  the retro red and greens, then the Heritage, then their RR (which the entire league took part in, though some chose to almost complete the "RR" part of the equation).  The Jersey jersey feels like a misstep, in that it of course those involved just had to outsmart themselves, and force a bunch of references and "We know all about New Jersey and what Jersey folk like!" into the design.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This has to be a black version of the old jersey template, or they can fvck off.

It really should just start and end here...I can picture other concepts that could work, but after the Jersey jersey nonsense, just keep it simple, and go with a black jersey that implements a general layout that we all remember fondly (and many of us miss)...but I get the feeling some dipsh!t within the organization will say "If we release another black jersey, it's almost like we're admitting that we fvcked up with the Jersey jersey [guess what?  YOU DID!].  So we can't do that."

A shame, in that something fairly close to the Starter jersey would get a lot of love...it's about as "Can't Miss" as it's going to get.  Which is why something else will get completely crammed down our throats (I do have a sinking feeling it will be something Rockies/Scouts-related, but not in a good way), with the organization patting themselves on the back for whatever disaster that they come up with.

• Like 1