Another New New Jersey Devils Jersey ?

Chimaira_Devil_#9

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And that’s why the BK Wonders (that’s what I’m calling them from now on) actually work in that odd way…the late 70s/80s were chock full of seriously awful fashion trends.  I could see that color scheme painted on a wall in some mall arcade somewhere…or a roller rink.  Like, totally.

I was thinking an elementary school art room. 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And that’s why the BK Wonders (that’s what I’m calling them from now on) actually work in that odd way…the late 70s/80s were chock full of seriously awful fashion trends.  I could see that color scheme painted on a wall in some mall arcade somewhere…or a roller rink.  Like, totally.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I was thinking an elementary school art room. 

Both totally work. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 5:56 PM, SterioDesign said:

Well i say this as a designer and realize that you're not a designer and im 100% not saying this in a condescending way.

But it's a very very common comment from people not working in the industry to look at a design and say that not a lot of work went behind it simply based on what it looks like and assume that it was their #1 idea and that was it.

All you see if the final product, but before that almost always came TONS of concepts and all sorts of variations that were voted on by focus groups and all that kind of sh!t. To the point that the final product is often not even the favourite design the design did.

Having been part of the industry for almost 2 decades. I can assure you that a lot of thought when into those designs. 

I’m no dummy; I fully get that there were a lot of ideas presented, with many being rejected and tweaked before settling on this version.

Like I said previously, I was looking at the whole thing through the wrong lens; even if the color scheme is a turn-off for many, I now see the (seemingly simple) design elements and how they tie into what the vision is supposed to be:  take a 1982 original Devils jersey almost as is (within what is possible with the Adidas version, anyway), and implement the Rockies colors…and for it to “work”, we have to remember that it’s not really Devils red on this jersey, it’s Rockies red (and yellow and blue).  I especially love that they used the original “skinny” number font from that era as well; this RR jersey would absolutely lose something without that attention to detail.  Also appreciate that for ONCE, the designers weren’t hellbent on forcing as many unnecessary obscure Easter Egg elements into the final product as possible. 

it’s a perfect 1982 hybrid jersey, of a year when the franchise adorned both the old in Colorado and then the brand new in New Jersey, and I’ve come to embrace it based on that idea and that I do think there’s something about it that captures the feel of that time period…I see it and I think of roller rinks and arcades and VCRs and bad perms/feathered hair and so many other things that were very much in back then, but seem like such relics now.  I feel much differently about these jerseys now…never expected to do such a 180 on them, but sometimes you can still surprise yourself.

All this being said, can I understand the fans who still hate these things and will never ever embrace them?  Sure.  I still can’t feel the Jersey jerseys and doubt that I ever will.  I’ll likely snag a GW BK Wonder jersey, but a Jersey jersey…I…just…CAN’T.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

The more I look at these reverse retros, the more I think some yellow/gold accent lines in the logo crest (in the main circle, the outline around the entire logo/crest, or around the "NJ") were needed.  They are fine otherwise in the context CR1976 (and I) mentioned in this thread (Rockies/Scouts colors, 1982-92 Devils striping).

Edited by CHIP72

2 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

The more I look at these reverse retros, the more I think some yellow/gold accent lines in the logo crest (in the main circle, the outline around the entire logo/crest, or around the "NJ") were needed.  They are fine otherwise in the context CR1976 (and I) mentioned in this thread (Rockies/Scouts colors, 1982-92 Devils striping).

I think yellow in the large main circle would’ve tied the theme together that little bit better for sure.  Especially with red/blue/yellow being together everywhere else.  Would love to see a photoshop of yellow in that area.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This prototype has surfaced on eBay. That’s a Reebok 1.0, meaning it was intended for the 2007-08 season. Next time you think you don’t like a Devils jersey, remember we could have been wearing these pieces of sh!t for the past 15 years. 

2DC4A4AB-E347-4371-92CA-E516B5F10B1D.jpeg

So Reebok is to blame, not Harris-Blitzer…

Maybe with the new compay next year, we can get that 80’s style, black and red so many people actually want

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

So Reebok is to blame, not Harris-Blitzer…

Maybe with the new compay next year, we can get that 80’s style, black and red so many people actually want

I don’t know if it was Reebok or the team, but it certainly wasn’t Adidas. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

This prototype has surfaced on eBay. That’s a Reebok 1.0, meaning it was intended for the 2007-08 season. Next time you think you don’t like a Devils jersey, remember we could have been wearing these pieces of sh!t for the past 15 years. 

Is there any confirmation that this is a legit “prototype” jersey?

If it is…yikes.  Looks some overseas knockoff.  

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I'm calling bullsh!t. It's a chinese knockoff. The logo isn't even right lol. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In what way is it not right?

the horns look super off, and not just in a "the crest is kinda bent" way. The inside corners are too.... pointy? Look at the white around the horns, it doesn't even really have a rounded inside corner. 

Can't you see the difference?

image.png.b43a859f28e05e76256f56f3bc7a476a.pngimage.png.2eda7c31bb6aaafa1c1cb4dd0efe8d3a.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

the horns look super off, and not just in a "the crest is kinda bent" way. The inside corners are too.... pointy? Look at the white around the horns, it doesn't even really have a rounded inside corner. 

Can't you see the difference?

image.png.b43a859f28e05e76256f56f3bc7a476a.pngimage.png.2eda7c31bb6aaafa1c1cb4dd0efe8d3a.png

Yup, now I can. I should mention that while I can compete with Jeopardy questions, I suck balls at “what are the differences between these two pictures”. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Buffalo decided to go with the white pants like Dallas did a year or so ago

405F3B30-9DF9-4FD3-9464-6A075F27FA2A.thumb.jpeg.fd2de47d7878f05b7414c32aee8bc77f.jpeg87C51E3B-8CAF-44A3-86B9-E955D40E6CAA.thumb.jpeg.d040d4e6f0525b5368a8cb6cdc5d6ea0.jpeg

Caps of course debuted with white pants in 1974 but did away with them in-season…apparently they would become discolored throughout the course of a game.