GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes 7PM 1/29/22

Nicomo

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Close. 

I mean we hung in against a much better team and their goalie stood on his head. Can’t really be too upset. 

Yeah this is about right…and as we’ve known for a while now, not like the Devils desperately needed two points to stay in the playoff chase. 

This is the kind of dumb plays they make constantly and why other teams constantly have guys wide open by themselves in front of our net

Opposing player carrying the puck along the board on a breakout all by himself. BOTH Subban and Graves goes directly to him. Subban takes himself out of the play by skating beyond the angle to the net once the the player stopped, now Graves checks him... but only after he dropped the puck to his trailing center, who now has a clear passing lane to his wide open winger coming towards the net. All by himself as usual. Leaving our forwards having to backcheck like crazy to break a square pass

So frustrating

347065332_ScreenShot2022-01-29at10_31_41PM.thumb.png.c8bebc47bf6afdcc3e8edf108f8ad868.png327175346_ScreenShot2022-01-29at10_31_10PM.thumb.png.e10883bd79c6f4705302c43c22d730fb.png1155439533_ScreenShot2022-01-29at10_36_51PM.thumb.png.15f1d95a3d1fd7462b0e55f6df88c7f6.png

• Thanks 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I gave up after the loss to Arizona

Feels like this team has completely run out of rock bottoms at this point.  Especially since the latest “goaltending could be solid” plan going into this season blew up yet again. 

Well we're still 2 pts up on Buffalo (they have a game in hand) and 5 pts on Ottawa (they have 5 games in hand). But we could be Montreal, so the sun will rise tomorrow I guess.  Plus it sounds like Amanda is ready to give out some handies over the effort these last few loses - 4 in row now, again. Bring on the Leafs.

43 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Canes defense is fantastic. Very hard to generate much once they get a lead. 

Yes, but a short time ago you posted over passing all night was an issue. I would say that was a fundamental flaw tonight that highly contributed to getting 3 shots in the third when you're down one. Both things can be true and were tonight.

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

This is the kind of dumb plays they make constantly and why other teams constantly have guys wide open by themselves in front of our net

Opposing player carrying the puck along the board on a breakout all by himself. BOTH Subban and Graves goes directly to him. Subban takes himself out of the play by skating beyond the angle to the net once the the player stopped, now Graves checks him... but only after he dropped the puck to his trailing center, who now has a clear passing lane to his wide open winger coming towards the net. All by himself as usual. Leaving our forwards having to backcheck like crazy to break a square pass

So frustrating

347065332_ScreenShot2022-01-29at10_31_41PM.thumb.png.c8bebc47bf6afdcc3e8edf108f8ad868.png327175346_ScreenShot2022-01-29at10_31_10PM.thumb.png.e10883bd79c6f4705302c43c22d730fb.png1155439533_ScreenShot2022-01-29at10_36_51PM.thumb.png.15f1d95a3d1fd7462b0e55f6df88c7f6.png

This happens so much I wonder if this is some bastardized version of the system the coaches have in place. I mean, this can’t be what the coaches call for, yet they do this almost every single time so I’m starting to wonder.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, devlman said:

This happens so much I wonder if this is some bastardized version of the system the coaches have in place. I mean, this can’t be what the coaches call for, yet they do this almost every single time so I’m starting to wonder.

It seems to be the system. 2 d-men pinching in the corners and the center takes the slot/front of the net. It’s the dumbest thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

It seems to be the system. 2 d-men pinching in the corners and the center takes the slot/front of the net. It’s the dumbest thing.

exactly my point. Its not a coincidence that so many goals are with guys completely left alone while our players are bunched like flies out of position

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, devlman said:

It has to be the system. If you look at that play. You actually see Graves trailing, looking back to see the upcoming players. So he had time to think. It's not one of those broken plays where you kind of have to make a split second decision, out of position kind of thing. So what he did there, was what he "wanted" to do.

My guess is that the system / logic is to send 2 guys on the puck carrier to pin him against the board to immobilize him. One gets the puck out while the other keep the player on the board, so the other has time for for a clean breakout. I guess that could work at times. But obviously if the players fail to execute, it creates a huge gap and hole in front of the net and its hard for a backchecking center to cover when an opposing player is skating up. 

Seeing more and more things like this. I can see why young players are struggling and probably overthinking everything.

Edited by SterioDesign

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

exactly my point. Its not a coincidence that so many goals are with guys completely left alone while our players are bunched like flies out of position

100%. The system is pretty dumb imo and we see many players look lost out there with positioning, it’s not intuitive at all.