NHL Trade Deadline 3/21: Thread-2022

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Yeah I know Nico's become a bit of a whipping boy in some circles as of late, but I want to see what he can do with better wingers to work with.

As a rookie, he put up 20 G and 32 A in 82 GP, with an MVP on one wing, and an in-his-prime Palms on the other.

Right now, through 41 GP (10 G and 16 A), he's on pace for the EXACT same numbers...and he's managed to do that with considerably less talented linemates most nights.  Stands to reason that with upgrades, Nico could sniff 60+ points if he can play 80ish games (or at least be on that kind of a pace).

• Like 3

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I know Nico's become a bit of a whipping boy in some circles as of late, but I want to see what he can do with better wingers to work with.

As a rookie, he put up 20 G and 32 A in 82 GP, with an MVP on one wing, and an in-his-prime Palms on the other.

Right now, through 41 GP (10 G and 16 A), he's on pace for the EXACT same numbers...and he's managed to do that with considerably less talented linemates most nights.  Stands to reason that with upgrades, Nico could sniff 60+ points if he can play 80ish games (or at least be on that kind of a pace).

And if he can stop getting hit in the face all the time. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

And if he can stop getting hit in the face all the time. 

Yeah all kidding aside Nico does seem to have a way of getting beat up a lot.  Given how young he was when he started, he could be one of those guys who's near-finished by his early-30s.  

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A9FE4C2C-45F5-4E95-B1AD-49A794A07A32.gif

Heh heh it does sound blasphemous, but even if that did happen, he'll have played well over 10 NHL seasons.  Not like everyone does that.  

Of course, I hope he has a long and terrific career and I hope it happens here.  I still think highly of him, and feel like he hasn't reached his full upside yet.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not into the idea of trading Nico right now, but I would certainly listen to huge offers.  

If I’m fitz I may consider dangling him and something else out there to try and get us a goalie.. i dont know, how else do you get a goalie 

6 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

If I’m fitz I may consider dangling him and something else out there to try and get us a goalie.. i dont know, how else do you get a goalie 

You have a point there. Has to be him to get a decent goaltender if that is what is on the menu for the deadline or most likely the off-season. I don’t know who else you could move for a good one. Besides the guys we cannot afford to trade at all. 

Good deal for Montreal. Fitz must start to think faster. Not every GM will trade his first round pick. And we still need more. For a big trade after or for making prospect pool better. Team looks like devs have 3-4 legit top-6 players, may be top6 players, good fourth line and may be 1-2 players for the third line. Defensive line on the right side is very questionable. There are a lot of good prospect in the deep of the first round. Zacha as a player with 29 goals in his last 95 games on the cheap contract can be a very interesting player for sale. One more year + (qo).  Severson is on the pick of his price too.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hate that the trade deadline is so late in hockey. The NBA trade deadline was last week. I honestly wish they’d move it up to February.

I always feel the opposite.  I can't stand it when the trade deadline is like right after the new year.  If I'm the GM of a team in the playoff picture, I'm pissed as fvck that I can't tweak my roster and acquire anyone in the back third of the season.  I mean, there's still so much hockey left to be played.  I feel like putting the trade deadline so early limits GMs and team's abilities to do something.  Granted most deals tend to happen right when the deadline approaches, but in all reality GMs have that much more time to work with the later the deadline is in the season.

47 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I always feel the opposite.  I can't stand it when the trade deadline is like right after the new year.  If I'm the GM of a team in the playoff picture, I'm pissed as fvck that I can't tweak my roster and acquire anyone in the back third of the season.  I mean, there's still so much hockey left to be played.  I feel like putting the trade deadline so early limits GMs and team's abilities to do something.  Granted most deals tend to happen right when the deadline approaches, but in all reality GMs have that much more time to work with the later the deadline is in the season.

I think the “split the difference” answer works good here. Final week of February/March 1 is both long enough after the new year and a sufficient amount of time before the playoffs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

March 21 is too late IMO. It used to be March 1. I’d prefer it to be in the beginning of March.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Is it later because the season started later? I don’t even fvcking remember anymore. 

I was going to say something to that effect - I don't think the season start later, but I do know it was originally supposed to end sometime in early May (which is crazy late, almost a month later than usual) - I think because of the possibility of NHLers playing in the Olympics this year.  But when that was nixed, they were able to salvage a few of those weeks, and I can only assume they didn't adjust the trade deadline to accommodate. 

That's just a guess though.