GDT - Devils at Penguins // 7:00pm ESPN+

Aznjsn

Just now, mfitz804 said:

That was probably Bratt’s chance. 

Daaaaaaaamn I wanted him to bury that soooo bad.

2 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

Did I just see Subban and Smith consecutively make good offensive moves??

Savor that flavor…won’t ever see THAT again.

Jack’s first 98 NHL games:  38 points

His last 50 games:  47 points

Guess any talk (or any concern) about him being anything close to a bust (or disappointing) can be put to bed for a while.  But definitely glad that he’s developing at a reasonable pace, despite not exactly working with the best coaching staff. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Bratt now has 46 pts in 46 games. Jack is over a point per game player so far. Really good to see

Jack has 9 G and 16 A in his last 18 GP.  That’s pretty beastly.

• Like 1

Hamilton coming back... okay.... Hughes, Bratt, Nico having a very nice game point wise... okay.... Daws was also okay...

but the real MVP tonight IMO is Alain Nassredine once again. The Pens were only able to score one goal and it was on the PP. Alain's sheer will to win held the pens off the scoresheet.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Not sure if my math is right but is Nico on pace for about a 70 point season per 82? That always felt like around his ceiling to me, and if he’s already there at age 23 that’s not too bad. 

He's on pace for about 60 points if you go by the whole season to date.

Over his last 37 GP, he's put up 13 G and 17 A for 30 points (That's about 66 points per 82 GP).  He's somewhat quietly scored 11 goals in his last 19 GP.  

Nico takes his share of abuse around here, but when you really think about it, this has been a solid year for him overall.  He hasn't missed many games so far, and his 0.733 PPG rate would be a career-best if it holds up.  He's currently on pace for about 26 G and 35 A over an 82 GP season.  Give him some better wingers, and 70+ points in the near future doesn't seem all that outlandish, really...the question is can Nico stay healthy?  The main problem with him so far is that just when he seems like he's ready to take clear steps forward, he gets hurt (often due to rotten luck), and then misses games and needs a bunch of games to start to get back to where he was.  

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Amazing 🤣

Yeah it's funny for sure, but the tag line should have been "They needed a bigger net"

This gets lost in the shuffle (mostly due to the team still losing a hell of a lot, in the grand scheme), but here's the Devils center combo since 12/8:

Hughes:  25 GP, 11 G, 18 A, 29 Pts

Nico:  22 GP, 11 G, 8 A, 19 Pts

If you're looking for legit reasons for optimism, and that just maybe the seemingly endless years of suckage might actually have an end after all, there you go.

And some other numbers since 12/8:

Bratt:  23 GP, 10 G, 16 A, 26 Pts

Mercer:  28 GP, 6 G, 9 A, 15 Pts (He's managed to play in every game this season, and appears to be getting past the rookie wall.  He's had a fine fine rookie season, he really has...the kid is only friggin' 20 years old.)

Sharangovich:  25 GP, 8 G, 10 A, 18 Pts (Not going to pretend that I'm some major believer in him, but that's a pretty solid stretch).

Of course, the team is only 9-19-0 during this time, mostly because they can struggle mightily in their own end, and can't stop enough pucks.  They've been outscored 104-85 over this stretch...being -19 over 28 games despite being 10 games under .500 isn't that bad.  The real killer of course is the brutal team save% over this time...just .877.  If the Devils could just stop 90% of the shots they face, they'd have only allowed 84 goals over these 28 games.  There's obviously other problems, but goaltending is just killing this team most games.  

MB3 posted about how things really aren't that bad, as far as the near-future goes, and he's not wrong...and I'm stating the obvious here, but the Devils gotta get a coaching staff that knows what they hell they're doing, and definitely have to figure out the goaltending situation soon.  I know it was only one game, but I say give Daws some more games (at least half of the games that are left)...at least he's plenty young and isn't a dead-end street, like Gillies...nothing against Gillies, but he's 28 years old and not likely to suddenly become more than he's been to this point in his career.  If Daws isn't ready or able, then he isn't, but at least the question is worth asking...out of four starts to date, he was good in two of them.  Why the hell not?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This gets lost in the shuffle (mostly due to the team still losing a hell of a lot, in the grand scheme), but here's the Devils center combo since 12/8:

Hughes:  25 GP, 11 G, 18 A, 29 Pts

Nico:  22 GP, 11 G, 8 A, 19 Pts

If you're looking for legit reasons for optimism, and that just maybe the seemingly endless years of suckage might actually have an end after all, there you go.

And some other numbers since 12/8:

Bratt:  23 GP, 10 G, 16 A, 26 Pts

Mercer:  28 GP, 6 G, 9 A, 15 Pts (He's managed to play in every game this season, and appears to be getting past the rookie wall.  He's had a fine fine rookie season, he really has...the kid is only friggin' 20 years old.)

Sharangovich:  25 GP, 8 G, 10 A, 18 Pts (Not going to pretend that I'm some major believer in him, but that's a pretty solid stretch).

Of course, the team is only 9-19-0 during this time, mostly because they can struggle mightily in their own end, and can't stop enough pucks.  They've been outscored 104-85 over this stretch...being -19 over 28 games despite being 10 games under .500 isn't that bad.  The real killer of course is the brutal team save% over this time...just .877.  If the Devils could just stop 90% of the shots they face, they'd have only allowed 84 goals over these 28 games.  There's obviously other problems, but goaltending is just killing this team most games.  

MB3 posted about how things really aren't that bad, as far as the near-future goes, and he's not wrong...and I'm stating the obvious here, but the Devils gotta get a coaching staff that knows what they hell they're doing, and definitely have to figure out the goaltending situation soon.  I know it was only one game, but I say give Daws some more games (at least half of the games that are left)...at least he's plenty young and isn't a dead-end street, like Gillies...nothing against Gillies, but he's 28 years old and not likely to suddenly become more than he's been to this point in his career.  If Daws isn't ready or able, then he isn't, but at least the question is worth asking...out of four starts to date, he was good in two of them.  Why the hell not?  

Add to that, the two games Daws was good in, he was actually exceptional. 

• Like 1

Good game overall by the team.  Nice to see Hamilton basically say "fvck your PP Recchi" and just fire it from everywhere.  His presence really helped that PP2 unit that really didn't have much going for it.

Our top 6 looks much better with Mercer being up there on the wing instead of dogging it with the likes of Johnsson , Tatar and Vesey.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Good game overall by the team.  Nice to see Hamilton basically say "fvck your PP Recchi" and just fire it from everywhere.  His presence really helped that PP2 unit that really didn't have much going for it.

Our top 6 looks much better with Mercer being up there on the wing instead of dogging it with the likes of Johnsson , Tatar and Vesey.

Vesey's fine as a cheap 4th-liner who can occasionally surprise with a nice goal.

I've discussed Johnsson...that's a guy the Devils need to move on from this offseason (or even try to move him at the deadline)...when it's not going in for him at a 25%+ clip, he doesn't bring nearly enough of anything else...a whopping 8 points in his last 27 GP, during a stretch when a number of teammates have been more productive...AFAIC, he's written himself out of being part of the future here. 

Tatar's best days are simply behind him...he's now scored 9 goals in his last 65 NHL games (just 24 points).  

• Like 1