GDT: Vancouver @ Devils 7:30 PM MSG+ Battle of the Hughes Bros

MadDog2020

Just now, SterioDesign said:

who gave up on Jack?

Some fans pointed out that he had one of the worst rookie season for a first overall pick in history at that time Which is factual. That's a decent reason to have some concerns at the very least.

Almost all the fans pointing this out were just saying they were not calling him a bust but just wanted to see him prove himself and get better

I didn’t necessarily mean just people on this site.  Some of my friends who aren’t members here who are Devils fans were doing their fair share of bitching and doubting…made me nuts.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn’t necessarily mean just people on this site.  Some of my friends who aren’t members here who are Devils fans were doing their fair share of bitching and doubting…made me nuts.  

Yeah but again, doubting was fair i feel based on his first season. He was truly getting manhandled and his second season was like night and day. 

Many fans "doubted" Zacha early too... and... they still are years later. Until a player actually prove something in the NHL, kind of fair to doubt when there's signs

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

This looks like a real team tonight. 

Until we give up 3 straight goals in the first 10-15 min of the 2nd period 

Edited by Devils01

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah but again, doubting was fair i feel based on his first season. He was truly getting manhandled and his second season was like night and day. 

Doubting an 18-year-old in his first season is silly to me.  Gotta be more patient than that.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Doubting an 18-year-old is his first season is silly to me.  Gotta be more patient than that.  

yes but again, historically, all first overall picks are 18 years old. IF one has the worst rookie season in years, that's a legit argument and justifying having "doubts"

Edited by SterioDesign

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Impossible not to like Sharongovich.

He’s gotta start doing it in the non-garbage time part of the season, but he’s definitely forced himself back into relevance.  

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

yes but again, historically, all first overall picks are 18 years old. IF one has the worst rookie season in years, that's a legit argument

If you or others wanna worry prematurely about an abbreviated rookie campaign, so be it.  I’m just not one to be so concerned that quickly.

Go check out Joe Thornton’s first season.  If Jack wasn’t making much progress to this point, even though he’s still only 20, yeah, by now I’d start to worry some…but even now the guy doesn’t even have two full seasons’ worth of NHL games under his belt. Anyway don’t want to clog this GDT with this, so I’m letting it go.  

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Talking about his interview, specifically.

Ah gotcha!  I missed it.

In the early parts of the first period Dano and Cangi were talking about the coaching change for the Canucks and how they were playing poorly and then suddenly put themselves back into the playoff conversation after Boudreau came on board, and obviously our record is/was worse and we're not in the same situation, and of course we haven't had a coaching change either, but it just got me thinking.... why not us?  This team still suffers some pretty brutal losses (i.e. last game vs Chicago), but to me that's probably just growing pains, and I think that we're still seeing improvements each and every game.  With Dougie back on D he seems to be the poised anchor that this team desperately needs, and now that the offensive is starting to produce much more consistently, I feel like this team isn't far from being able to string together many more W's on a regular basis.  Obviously we're in the back half of the season so odds are it's too late to salvage, which is a shame, but I'm not giving up hope with still 30-some games left, and it definitely has me excited for next season already. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

In the early parts of the first period Dano and Cangi were talking about the coaching change for the Canucks and how they were playing poorly and then suddenly put themselves back into the playoff conversation after Boudreau came on board, and obviously our record is/was worse and we're not in the same situation, and of course we haven't had a coaching change either, but it just got me thinking.... why not us?  This team still suffers some pretty brutal losses (i.e. last game vs Chicago), but to me that's probably just growing pains, and I think that we're still seeing improvements each and every game.  With Dougie back on D he seems to be the poised anchor that this team desperately needs, and now that the offensive is starting to produce much more consistently, I feel like this team isn't far from being able to string together many more W's on a regular basis.  Obviously we're in the back half of the season so odds are it's too late to salvage, which is a shame, but I'm not giving up hope with still 30-some games left, and it definitely has me excited for next season already. 

I like the idea of Dineen and new coaches getting a shot with this team.  I think this staff is going to be a hindrance if they‘re back next season. But yeah, there’s some talent here…and some holes. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yes but again, historically, all first overall picks are 18 years old. IF one has the worst rookie season in years, that's a legit argument and justifying having "doubts"

Having ‘doubts’ without incorporating any context are irrational doubts