GDT: Vancouver @ Devils 7:30 PM MSG+ Battle of the Hughes Bros

MadDog2020

6 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

The offense on this team can compete with any other team in the league. fvcking defense and goaltending, Man

They should be able to, they need to hold the current pattern and be consistent. This surge has helped, but we’re still 14th in the league in goals for.

But, if you look at the teams ahead of us, aside from Columbus at 55 points, every team above us and 3 below us are 60+ point teams. Only other 60+ team below those three is the Rangers. 

The offense was a problem early on, it doesn’t seem to be now. Special teams were also, they improved. Defense seems to have improved. We need a healthy NHL goalie together with the offense and defense we are getting right now and we may have something. 

56 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They should be able to, they need to hold the current pattern and be consistent. This surge has helped, but we’re still 14th in the league in goals for.

But, if you look at the teams ahead of us, aside from Columbus at 55 points, every team above us and 3 below us are 60+ point teams. Only other 60+ team below those three is the Rangers. 

The offense was a problem early on, it doesn’t seem to be now. Special teams were also, they improved. Defense seems to have improved. We need a healthy NHL goalie together with the offense and defense we are getting right now and we may have something. 

They have been scoring a ton lately...82 goals in their last 23 GP (3 or more 14 times in that stretch)...yes, 18 goals over the last three games is blowing up that sample a bit.  Of course, on the flip side, they've also given up 88 (on an .879 save%).

Yeah, curious to see if Daws can give the Devils better goaltending down the stretch than they've gotten most of the season...even .910-ish play would be a considerable step up.  I have no idea if the kid can do it or not, but I'm certainly on board with him getting a look.  Gillies is a dead-end street (though I fully get that he will have to play some nights, and if Daws falters, Gillies will probably play more than any of us would like).  

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

So, having watched that game, are we still interested in trading for Garland or Boeser?

If Zacha’s involved, then yeah, I’m still interested.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sharangovich with 11 points (5 G and 6 A) over his last 7 GP.

Nico with 32 points (13 G and 19 A) over his last 39 GP.  And staying healthy.  

Hard to believe, but somehow Zacha has managed to register 7 of the quietest points in his last 10 GP.

And Bo with 5 G and 3 A in his last 11 GP.  Would be a nice bonus if he can actually stick with the big club.  

And young guys pounding on the door. 

The future is bright, just need to get MB healthy and up to snuff again. 

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

So, having watched that game, are we still interested in trading for Garland or Boeser?

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Zacha’s involved, then yeah, I’m still interested.

I thought Garland looked more dynamic than Boeser last night. I’ll admit not having watched enough of either guy to really have a very good opinion on which I like better. 

That said, for Zacha, either one. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

But honesty even if it isn’t one of those two players zachas time here is up. I don’t think he cares enough nor do I think he’s tough enough. I think this is a case in point of a player that needs a change of scenery. His time here has to be coming to a close. I’ll take something on the level of garland/boeser if it isn’t one of those two. Not sure where else we could look or who to look at though. The team is skating circles around him at times I feel. 

• Like 1

Went to the game last night as I was able to get a lower level ticket for $19.  They still had the mask and proof of vaccine requirement.  The guy who checked my proof of vaccine barely looked at the picture of my card on my phone so basically I could have taken a photo of someone else's card and get let in.  Mask was required but I would say at least 50% of people were not wearing them when sitting in the bowl.

The concourse is in really sad shapes these days.  We went from having a friggin Jimmy Buff's to having half the stands closed.  The variety that is left is lousy and if you are not in the mood for burgers, chicken tenders, pizza and ice cream then you are essentially SOL.  Also, don't get me started on the quality of the food.  In both variety and quality of food, the Rock has to be the worst of any of the arenas and stadiums in the entire tri-state area as well as even the ones in Philly.

Finally, while I have been pretty neutral on the PA announcer, I have to say he was brutal last night.  He went into full-schtick mode last night and it was pure cringe.  I am not going to go nuts on this dude as he is just a fan living his dream, but man I hope someone at the Devils pulls him aside and tell him to scale it back a little bit.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Went to the game last night as I was able to get a lower level ticket for $19.  They still had the mask and proof of vaccine requirement.  The guy who checked my proof of vaccine barely looked at the picture of my card on my phone so basically I could have taken a photo of someone else's card and get let in.  Mask was required but I would say at least 50% of people were not wearing them when sitting in the bowl.

The concourse is in really sad shapes these days.  We went from having a friggin Jimmy Buff's to having half the stands closed.  The variety that is left is lousy and if you are not in the mood for burgers, chicken tenders, pizza and ice cream then you are essentially SOL.  Also, don't get me started on the quality of the food.  In both variety and quality of food, the Rock has to be the worst of any of the arenas and stadiums in the entire tri-state area as well as even the ones in Philly.

Finally, while I have been pretty neutral on the PA announcer, I have to say he was brutal last night.  He went into full-schtick mode last night and it was pure cringe.  I am not going to go nuts on this dude as he is just a fan living his dream, but man I hope someone at the Devils pulls him aside and tell him to scale it back a little bit.

Yeah the food was bad enough in the Loft seats that I stopped buying tix for seats there.  The club seat offerings (not really great to begin with, with exceptions here and there) aren't much better...the restaurant ledge seat buffet seems to be the last good food offering, more or less.

I basically told my daughter that we're going to start eating elsewhere before the games...until the quality improves, not much there is worth the money (and in the case of the concourses, not worth the time to stand on line).

Not planning on going to any games for the rest of the season anyway, at this point...my daughter isn't vaxxed so she can't go.  I may go with a bud to a game or two before the season ends, but I'm good with watching in my basement for the rest of this season...saving the bullets for next year.  

53 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

But honesty even if it isn’t one of those two players zachas time here is up. I don’t think he cares enough nor do I think he’s tough enough. I think this is a case in point of a player that needs a change of scenery. His time here has to be coming to a close. I’ll take something on the level of garland/boeser if it isn’t one of those two. Not sure where else we could look or who to look at though. The team is skating circles around him at times I feel. 

I'm definitely NOT on the "Get rid of Zacha addition by subtraction" bus...I'm not just giving him way, so I agree, even if it takes something else going with him, I like the idea of Garland or Boeser coming here.

And I also agree that I think even if there's more to Zacha than what we've seen to date, I just don't think it's ever going to happen for him here...not consistently, anyway.  Even with him getting some more points as of late, he's still managed just 14 points in his last 36 GP, and it's not like he's stuck skating with offensive black holes...hell, the only forwards with more ice time than him this season are Jack and Nico.  Yeah feeling more and more like he just wasn't meant to be a part of this thing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm definitely NOT on the "Get rid of Zacha addition by subtraction" bus...I'm not just giving him way, so I agree, even if it takes something else going with him, I like the idea of Garland or Boeser coming here.

And I also agree that I think even if there's more to Zacha than what we've seen to date, I just don't think it's ever going to happen for him here...not consistently, anyway.  Even with him getting some more points as of late, he's still managed just 14 points in his last 36 GP, and it's not like he's stuck skating with offensive black holes...hell, the only forwards with more ice time than him this season are Jack and Nico.  Yeah feeling more and more like he just wasn't meant to be a part of this thing.

He’s got a ton of talent but he just seems so disinterested at times. It’s a shame. Great shot, big frame that he refuses to use most of the time, pretty good speed. Looks like it just isn’t going to happen here 

Can't say I noticed either Garland or Boeser at all last night. From what I've read, Garland seems to be the more consistent with his effort but doesn't score as much, while Boeser scores more but doesn't do a whole lot of anything else.

As much as I've supported Zacha in the past, I find him a really frustrating player. The guy has the tools to be a top player, but just doesn't seem to have the determination to make it happen (unlike Bratt, who really seems to have worked on the mental side of the game and is reaping the rewards for it).

Unless Zacha is traded with other assets, I don't think we're going to get an upgrade, but maybe someone who's also flawed but might just be a better fit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I’d hate to see him go considering he was a 6th overall pick. But the time has come. And no we can’t give him anyway in any sense. But I think the time is now. Although I don’t think he will threaten the khl now considering what is happening. I believe he’s restricted free agent? Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that please. 

42 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Can't say I noticed either Garland or Boeser at all last night. From what I've read, Garland seems to be the more consistent with his effort but doesn't score as much, while Boeser scores more but doesn't do a whole lot of anything else.

As much as I've supported Zacha in the past, I find him a really frustrating player. The guy has the tools to be a top player, but just doesn't seem to have the determination to make it happen (unlike Bratt, who really seems to have worked on the mental side of the game and is reaping the rewards for it).

Unless Zacha is traded with other assets, I don't think we're going to get an upgrade, but maybe someone who's also flawed but might just be a better fit.

Exactly I think there is so much more in the tank with zacha but I don’t think we will get it. I was hard on bratt for a while but he has completely proved me otherwise. He’s a phenomenal player and needs another player on the line with some size and skill. Where that comes from is beyond me. Bratt, Hughes, boeser? That’s a line I can hang my hat on I believe if that happened. Even though boeser isn’t all that big. But he looked like a player going through the motions last night as well. We are seriously a goaltender and 1 or 2 players away from being very competitive. 

51 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He’s got a ton of talent but he just seems so disinterested at times. It’s a shame. Great shot, big frame that he refuses to use most of the time, pretty good speed. Looks like it just isn’t going to happen here 

How much longer can we say he has tons of talent while he barely accomplishes anything?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

How much longer can we say he has tons of talent while he barely accomplishes anything?

Yeah I don’t think he’s all that talented to be honest. He’s got some speed when he decides to give a sh!t and a pretty decent shot but other than that he isn’t that talented. He can’t handle a puck for his life. The talent he does have can be found a dime a dozen across the league.

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

A player can have talent and still not be able to make any use of it or ever reach their potential. We’ve seen his shot, we can see his frame, we’ve seen him have bursts of speed when he wants to, but he can’t make any of it last for an extended period. It’s no good to anyone for little 10 game stretches followed by weeks of moping 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

Yeah I’d hate to see him go considering he was a 6th overall pick. But the time has come. And no we can’t give him anyway in any sense. But I think the time is now. Although I don’t think he will threaten the khl now considering what is happening. I believe he’s restricted free agent? Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that please. 

Arb-eligible RFA...in his position, he could take a one-year deal and then walk.  

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

A player can have talent and still not be able to make any use of it or ever reach their potential. We’ve seen his shot, we can see his frame, we’ve seen him have bursts of speed when he wants to, but he can’t make any of it last for an extended period. It’s no good to anyone for little 10 game stretches followed by weeks of moping 

What sucks about all of this is that I really thought that 84-game stretch I've referenced several times was the end of "that" version of Zacha, in that he DID actually manage to show something for an extended period...he really seemed to be putting it all together.  He had actually become someone who I felt had a chance to do some damage...a "this guy could make something happen"-type of player...in those 84 games, he had come that far.  And most nights I barely even notice him these days...and when I do, it's more for the wrong reasons, or for the classic "almosts".    

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Can a guy have “tons of talent” and still be a borderline 3rd line player at best? I’m not sure I agree. Like devlman said I don’t see anything that sets him apart from like the middle 75% of the guys in the league. 

I mean it takes a lot to get to the NHL, but if you compare him to other NHLers, I’m not sure he’s all that good. 

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s his age, not the same point in his career. He had the same sh!t rookie season and we all mentioned it. 

Re:  Laf...asked one of my best friends (a Rangers fan) what he thought about Laf to date (I don't watch enough Ranger games to have any opinion of him).  

He says the general feeling is that you're seeing the potential, but he's not yet truly putting it together...he's now getting more time on the top line, and FWIW, he's scored 4 goals in his last 8 GP.  He feels that Laf's going to figure it out in time. 

He did say the guy he and several other fans are down on is Kakko.  They're all starting to worry about him.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Laf...asked one of my best friends (a Rangers fan) what he thought about Laf to date (I don't watch enough Ranger games to have any opinion of him).  

He says the general feeling is that you're seeing the potential, but he's not yet truly putting it together...he's now getting more time on the top line, and FWIW, he's scored 4 goals in his last 8 GP.  He feels that Laf's going to figure it out in time. 

He did say the guy he and several other fans are down on is Kakko.  They're all starting to worry about him.  

Honestly I don't hear a peep about Kakko. Of course I'm not friends with Rangers fans lol. 

I just looked up his stats and he has 31 points in his last 85 games (that's all of last season and this season). He has the same number of points, with one less goal and one more assist, than Mike McLeod this season.

And to think there was some talk (though not a whole lot) about whether he or Jack should be taken 1OA. 

Edited by mfitz804

There was a guy wearing a Kakko jersey at my local ECHL game over the weekend. I promptly pointed him out to my wife, and had a good laugh about the notion that Kakko is even in the same stratosphere as Jack Hughes as a player. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

there’s a video from the New York Rangers in MSG draft party where the Devils draft Hughes and the place erupts like they scored an overtime playoff goal. People leaping out of their chair celebrating and hugging eachother because the Devils took Hughes meaning Kakko was theirs.

That video is good for the soul.

At that point I think they were all brainwashed with the whole Kakko pLaYeD aGaInSt mEn thing. As much as we are accused of overhyping our prospects, MSG goes above and beyond when it comes to that stuff 

• Like 2