GDT: St. Louis @ Devils 1:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

it was a fun game. The Devils passes in the first were crisp and tape to tape.  Then like all afternoon games the clock struck 2:00.  (The Devils always seem to suck between 2:00 and 3:00) Sure enough the Blues score the second goal at 3:00PM.  That and a big gap between Daws' glove and pad.  Ever watch a play and you see something in the goaltender's stance and you know the puck is going to find that spot?  it was so quick but the thought ran through my mind was please cover that spot BANG Goal!😎

It was my first attended game in over 2 months.  With the olympic "break" it was how my partial plan broke this year.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rock said:

it was a fun game. The Devils passes in the first were crisp and tape to tape.  Then like all afternoon games the clock struck 2:00.  (The Devils always seem to suck between 2:00 and 3:00) Sure enough the Blues score the second goal at 3:00PM.  That and a big gap between Daws' glove and pad.  Ever watch a play and you see something in the goaltender's stance and you know the puck is going to find that spot?  it was so quick but the thought ran through my mind was please cover that spot BANG Goal!😎

It was my first attended game in over 2 months.  With the olympic "break" it was how my partial plan broke this year.

You and MD2020 both got to see wins recently, that's cool. I went to both games the devil's playing against the lightning in Tampa this year and I was 1 and 1, so I'm happy for that. 

The team seems to be playing a little bit better at home which is also nice, and I can't believe that the Penalty Kill is perfect at home since the beginning of the new year, 18 for 18. That's admittedly impressive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Had to miss this one unfortunately but great to see a win and Hughes and Nico continuing to produce. I’m assuming Daws was solid again?

8 G and 6 A for Nico in his last 11 GP.  Hopefully this (and his overall solid offensive numbers this year) is buying him currency with fans who aren’t willing to give him much slack.

Love that after a rare scoreless night, that Jack immediately comes back with a couple of points.  Over his last 23 GP he’s been held without a point just four times.  He’s also racked up 33 points (12 G and 21 A) over that stretch.

The centers are definitely doing their thing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

He was good, yes. 

Kudos to the coaches in that they’re giving Daws a fair look.  There’s absolutely no reason not to (unless he needs a rest or starts to struggle mightily).  It would have been easy for them to give Gillies the game against the Blues after the Devils lost two straight.  

• Like 4

Just now, Jerrydevil said:

And that includes our rookie center who is now playing wing. That's working out well.

It’s great that Mercer has been able to make that transition…as long as Nico and Jack are healthy and producing, I’d rather he get Top 6 time as a winger than as a 3C (potentially with more mehish wingers).  Not like every center can shift to LW or RW.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s great that Mercer has been able to make that transition…as long as Nico and Jack are healthy and producing, I’d rather he get Top 6 time as a winger than as a 3C (potentially with more mehish wingers).  Not like every center can shift to LW or RW.

You're right, it's not a move every player can make. Claude Giroux made the change a few years ago. Trevor Linden played wing and center. Both those players are/were good two-way players, so maybe it's a move that's easier for strong defensive players.

• Like 1

FWIW, Mercer was drafted as a RW who could play center, and took the 3C spot since he was the best option in training camp. Not much of a transition to playing RW as it is him playing a position he is equally if not more comfortable in. We are fortunate that Boqvist's play has allowed Mercer to move up to a more favorable spot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nessus said:

FWIW, Mercer was drafted as a RW who could play center, and took the 3C spot since he was the best option in training camp. Not much of a transition to playing RW as it is him playing a position he is equally if not more comfortable in. We are fortunate that Boqvist's play has allowed Mercer to move up to a more favorable spot.

Yeah works for me!

Zetterlund’s made enough progress in the AHL to get a nice preseason look…not that I’m expecting him to score that much with the big club of course.  

• Like 1

They’re now 5-1 in games that end in OT. This team is really built well for the 3-on-3 format with guys like Jack, Bratt, and Hamilton. Those are some tough matchups to try and skate with with all that open ice. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They’re now 5-1 in games that end in OT. This team is really built well for the 3-on-3 format with guys like Jack, Bratt, and Hamilton. Those are some tough matchups to try and skate with with all that open ice. 

It is nice to finally look good in those situations, felt we were at an extreme disadvantage even just a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah works for me!

Zetterlund’s made enough progress in the AHL to get a nice preseason look…not that I’m expecting him to score that much with the big club of course.  

I'm interested to see who gets the next call up from Utica. Zetterlund seems like the most likely choice, and I hope he gets a look this season. As you said, he has been improving each year, and has been a top player for the AHL team for the past couple of seasons. He is waivers eligible next season too, so I'd rather he gets some of the growing pains out the way this season if possible.

The other option is AJ Greer, who could actually have a future in the team's bottom six. At 25 years old, he has been unable to stay in the NHL for any sustained period. But he has been nearly a point/game player in the AHL for the past two seasons. And on top of that, he has got the size and grit that would complement the team well. 

• Like 2

sat way up high for this one sometimes I enjoy that view most.  Nice to get the the two points and there was a small handful of guys who played well.  At the same time the blues were horrid, the game was the least physical I can ever recall seeing in person. At one point Mercer was cutting through center ice with his head down waiting on a suicide pass and ROR had him lined up and we're sitting there going here goes and ROR literally slams on the brakes and puts his arms out to almost catch Mercer. Hughes pass to Smith for the goal was a beauty, otherwise Smith continues to show he's stealing his NHL check.  Graves, 71, Subban all really struggled at times just getting some prime chances even towards the net. Lost count of the guy behind us who said "he whiffed, he fuXking whiffied" in disbelief when his young kid would say what's wrong Daddy.  It felt like guys should of been yelling "fore" all game.

PK is solid garbage and it's was absolutely cringe worthy watching his little girl dance all the way from center ice going off down the tunnel on the GWG.  Was happy to read here Fitz told him he's not in position to talk about and extension.  To the guys wearing their "jerseys" and "hats" who were focusing more on blowing jizz all over their Jack bobbleheads and yelling you suck when we we scored sitting in front of us.  Eat sh!t.  Didn't want to really get into it with you but all that talk about how we're still "right there" when it comes to making the playoffs made for a long afternoon.  

Good crowd (otherwise), two points and thank you to the Blues for playing 20 mins. 

Edited by titans04

21 minutes ago, titans04 said:

To the guys wearing their "jerseys" and "hats" whole focusing more on blowing jizz all over their Jack bobbleheads and yelling you suck when we we scored sitting in front of us.   

I feel like you’re setting me up beautifully, but a full response would only start an argument, so I’ll just leave a blank in hopes that doesn’t happen. 

I’m glad (Jack loving NJDevs member of your choice) was able to make the game too!

Aside from that, what a vivid and masterful depiction, it feels like we were right there with you. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, nessus said:

I'm interested to see who gets the next call up from Utica. Zetterlund seems like the most likely choice, and I hope he gets a look this season. As you said, he has been improving each year, and has been a top player for the AHL team for the past couple of seasons. He is waivers eligible next season too, so I'd rather he gets some of the growing pains out the way this season if possible.

The other option is AJ Greer, who could actually have a future in the team's bottom six. At 25 years old, he has been unable to stay in the NHL for any sustained period. But he has been nearly a point/game player in the AHL for the past two seasons. And on top of that, he has got the size and grit that would complement the team well. 

We've discussed this in the Utica thread...that's largely what's in Utica...future Bottom-6 types (Holtz is obviously a huge exception).  Not that you don't need those types of players, and if anything, you can bring those "from withing" guys up on lower-cost deals, instead of demoting higher-paid guys who don't pan out as Top-6ers on the big club to 3rd and 4th line duty.  Get some solid Bottom-6ers coming up, and you can wave bye-bye to the Johnssons and Tatars...basically, guys who don't bring anywhere near enough scoring to be in the Top 6, but don't do nearly enough of the little things or are gritty enough to play solid Bottom 6 roles either.  Maybe some of those Utes can nail down those lower-line spots.   

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

sat way up high for this one sometimes I enjoy that view most.  Nice to get the the two points and there was a small handful of guys who played well.  At the same time the blues were horrid, the game was the least physical I can ever recall seeing in person. At one point Mercer was cutting through center ice with his head down waiting on a suicide pass and ROR had him lined up and were sitting there going here goes and ROR literally slams on the brakes and puts his arms out to almost catch Mercer. Hughes pass to Smith for the goal was a beauty, otherwise Smith continues to show he's stealing his NHL check.  Graves, 71, Subban all really struggled at times just getting some prime chances even towards the net.

PK solid garbage and cringe worthy watching his little girl dance all the way from center ice going off down the tunnel on the GWG.  Was happy to read hear Fitz told him he's not in position to talk about and extension.  To the guys wearing their "jerseys" and "hats" whole focusing more on blowing jizz all over their Jack bobbleheads and yelling you suck when we we scored sitting in front of us.   Didn't want to really get into it with you but all that talk about how we're still "right there" when it comes to making the playoffs made for a long afternoon.  

Good crowd (otherwise), two points and thank you to the Blues for playing 20 mins. 

I can relate to the "In the vicinity of complete dipsh!t fans" experience.  Some of them are brutal.

I haven't had too many of them the last few years, but one recent moment sticks out.  I had restaurant ledge seats (I forget which game), and of course it was me and my daughter going...so there were two guys sitting in the first two seats, then our two seats, then the rest of the row (most of the seats were still empty because we got there pretty early, but out of simplicity and just following rules, I sit where my tickets tell me to).  I go to sit in our seats, and the douchenozzles throw a borderline sh!tfit that I dared to sit next to them, in the SEATS that I paid for.  Basically made it sound like I was some rookie idiot for not moving down to two of the empty seats (maybe I'm one of those crazies who's not looking to sit in someone else's seats, even if they haven't arrived yet?)

We did move down one seat and no one ever did show up to claim them, but I've never forgotten what complete d!cks those two were about it...I basically asked them what was their friggin' problem and why were they getting so worked up, and considered just getting an usher to shut them both up, but I wanted to just enjoy the damned game with my daughter.  They were everything that I hate about the crappy part of living in the Jersey area...the general rudeness and nastiness, and they were both a couple of fat, ugly, older losery-types...the kind that go to Hooters after the game and start sexually harassing their waitresses.  Not that I look for violence or fights, ever, but I would've loved to have knocked both of those fat fvcks out with one punch each.  All it would've took.  

Can't say they completely ruined the game for me, but both me and my daughter were aggravated for a while.  She asked me what their problem was, and I just told her "Some people really suck."   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not that I look for violence or fights, ever, but I would've loved to have knocked both of those fat fvcks out with one punch each.  All it would've took.  

This is the biggest sign that I "grew up", personally. So glad my daughter has no idea what I was up to at her age. So glad. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is the biggest sign that I "grew up", personally. So glad my daughter has no idea what I was up to at her age. So glad. 

Yeah the funny thing is those guys probably thought "Duuhhh, yeah we showed him!" when I moved down a seat, but the fact was instead of letting things escalate (and having it turn into a scene or having my 13-year-old kid get upset or uncomfortable), I simply decided those two dipsh!ts were so not worth the trouble.  If they want to gloat later to anyone dumb enough to believe them, so be it.  I was more interested in trying to have a good time with my kid. 

• Like 2