GDT: Colorado @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i’m taking a firm “if it happens it happens” approach with goalies for the rest of my life. i bought a schneider jersey right before he was dogsh!t. then i became a kinkaid fanboy right before he was dogsh!t. then i fell in love with blackwood and now he might be dogsh!t? i praised the hell out of the Crawford and Bernier signings and, well, yea.

for a while i was wondering if we were going to have a Favre-to-Rodgers transition from Marty, but it looks more like a Manning-to-Luck-to-Yikes situation. 

That’s actually a pretty apt comparison. 

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

Bratt and Mercer are definite top 6 wingers. But after that it gets a little dicey. Zacha will likely be gone next year. Sharangovich is a nice player but probably best suited for the third line. I think one more add on the wings  hedges against being thin in that position.

I agree that Bratt and Mercer are top 6, but I do think a good 2nd line with Holtz-Nico-Sharangovich will be very productive.  I’m not sure what they should do with Zacha and Boqvist.  The entire team looked great tonight despite the 3 goals.  I just wish they could bring it every night like they did tonight.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Did he slew foot you in some charity game or something? Talk about show me on the doll where he hurt you… :P

The fact that you're asking would suggest that you didn't read my book...

SD-Book.thumb.jpg.c50128c807ba84412c07ccf09520716f.jpg.de01db73667f1f4654f7d4cc8c93be08.jpg

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I agree that Bratt and Mercer are top 6, but I do think a good 2nd line with Holtz-Nico-Sharangovich will be very productive.  I’m not sure what they should do with Zacha and Boqvist.  The entire team looked great tonight despite the 3 goals.  I just wish they could bring it every night like they did tonight.

At least Boqvist tries and he's shown a lot of improvement. Zacha has had motivational issues going back to his draft. All-world talent and size combined with a lazy, aloof attitude. That's him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

i’m taking a firm “if it happens it happens” approach with goalies for the rest of my life. i bought a schneider jersey right before he was dogsh!t. then i became a kinkaid fanboy right before he was dogsh!t. then i fell in love with blackwood and now he might be dogsh!t? i praised the hell out of the Crawford and Bernier signings and, well, yea.

for a while i was wondering if we were going to have a Favre-to-Rodgers transition from Marty, but it looks more like a Manning-to-Luck-to-Yikes situation. 

Just tweet at Daws about how much he sucks and problem solved lol

35 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I’m not sure what they should do with Zacha and Boqvist.

Trade the former and slot the latter in as your 3C. Now - Boqvist still needs to show a little more to really lock that down, but that’s ideally where he ends up. I like him much better in the middle, and Mercer needs to be on the wing in the top 6 anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Jack Hughes will retire as the single best forward to ever wear the sweater. 

Retire here or elsewhere? Cause if this ship isn't righted by the time he's a ufa he's definitely outta here. 

Not trying to be a miserable fvck but like you said with the goalies I'm definitely taking it as a wait and see if it happens in terms of them getting back into being a winning franchise again

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Let’s play this for fun. Considering age, contract status, and the rest of the team’s age — are there 5 players in the NHL you’d trade Jack for straight up? Makar, McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon… Who else? I don’t even think those guys are guarantees. 

Seider potentially 

Also Bedard

Edited by SterioDesign

39 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Retire here or elsewhere? Cause if this ship isn't righted by the time he's a ufa he's definitely outta here. 

Not trying to be a miserable fvck but like you said with the goalies I'm definitely taking it as a wait and see if it happens in terms of them getting back into being a winning franchise again

Considering the dude just signed an eight-year extension which hasn't kicked in yet, that'd require a LOT more losing before he turned UFA.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Considering the dude just signed an eight-year extension which hasn't kicked in yet, that'd require a LOT more losing before he turned UFA.

Of course, it's just a hypothetical response but I don't think anyone would have guessed we would have gone a full decade with no playoff series win and only 1 playoff appearance so who the hell knows. Want nothing more than them to finally start winning so hope it does get turned around. Just sick of saying maybe next season at this point. 

49 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Let’s play this for fun. Considering age, contract status, and the rest of the team’s age — are there 5 players in the NHL you’d trade Jack for straight up? Makar, McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon… Who else? I don’t even think those guys are guarantees. 

Idk, but it’s beyond amazing to even be able to seriously ask that question. 

Btw I picture our little buddy who’s currently on timeout watching this Jack Hughes breakout about like this…

image.gif.28e4433e94910e5807e6382cebc5d744.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Of course, it's just a hypothetical response but I don't think anyone would have guessed we would have gone a full decade with no playoff series win and only 1 playoff appearance so who the hell knows. Want nothing more than them to finally start winning so hope it does get turned around. Just sick of saying maybe next season at this point. 

If they still can’t get it right in a few years he’ll ask for a trade I think. 

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Did he slew foot you in some charity game or something? Talk about show me on the doll where he hurt you… :P

He would just show you the whole doll, head to toe…

Edited by mfitz804

8 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

The bolded is part of the process...figuring sh!t out.

The very good news is that the guys we were hoping would take big steps forward have done so...namely Hughes and Bratt.  Nico was on his way (14 points in his last 11 GP), but then got hurt...hopefully it's nothing serious.  The truly dreadful days of extended losing streaks are hopefully and FINALLY a thing of the past.  The god-awful 8-23-3 run that completely derailed this season (and a similar one that killed last year)...barring a slew of injuries to just about everyone who matters most, that sh!t should NEVER EVER happen again...even though there's still areas of need to be addressed, given the current talent level and where key guys are in their development, there's absolutely NO excuse for this team EVER to suffer through such a sh!tshow run.  As long as they're relatively healthy, at the very least this team should be right around NHL-.500 going forward...no, 82 points or so still isn't getting you into the playoffs, but it's a nice step in the right direction...at least you're not digging yourself an insurmountable hole.    

The seasonal record still looks bad and probably won't look great by the end of the season, but the Devils are 6-5-0 in their last 11 GP (49 GF, 38 GA), and looking more and more dynamic...though they're no lock to hang onto to a lead, they're not dead in the water when trailing either.  As bad as their overall record still is, they're -26, which isn't that bad considering (the Flyers have a similar record and are -48).  I could see them having a shot to finish within a few games of NHL-.500 as this season winds down...mostly depends on how well Daws (and possibly Blackwood) play down the stretch.  Daws only has an .891 save% over his last 4 GP, but I still think the Devils should keep rolling with him...and like every other goalie that's suited up for the Devils this season, it's not like he's going to get much help in his own end.  Like I said previously, he's Not-Gillies, which for now is plenty good enough for me.    

There's 25 games left this season...if the Devils could go, say, 13-10-2 (and continue to show some offensive prowess), they'd finish the season on a 19-15-2 run, with lots to build on.  I can certainly live with that, going into next season.  Hopefully Jack won't miss 20 games again, and Mercer can avoid a sophomore slump...speaking of, he has a shot to finish with 50 points this season (he'd need 16 over the Devils' final 25 GP to do it).  Sharangovich (assuming he's still here) also needs to start next season strong...in his first two NHL seasons, it took him quite a while to truly get going. 

But there's some legit reasons for optimism now.       

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

They'll get it right in a few years, and even if they're still struggling he'll be playing with his brother. You saw the draft reaction, that's a whole lot of excitement. 

I can't see them truly struggling from here on out unless guys like J Hughes or Hamilton or Bratt wind up missing full or near-full seasons due to injury.  As soon as next season, they should be flirting with 90+ points.  And with PK being gone and hopefully at least one of Tatar or Johnsson also jettisoned, Fitz should be able to upgrade.  The skaters should be better from start-to-finish next season than they were this season. 

Re:  the goaltending, that's the real wild card in all of this.  Assuming it's some combo of Blackwood/Bernier/Daws, I have absolutely no idea what to expect from them.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Just saw a stat that the Avs were 23-0 this season when having a lead after the 1st period…

what an absolutely amazing comeback (and yes the Devils got a couple lucky bounces but that’s hockey). 

Yep. Great win. And the Avs got some good bounces on a couple of their goals too. The Devils won a lot of puck battles and took it to the Avs especially after going down 3-0. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Idk, but it’s beyond amazing to even be able to seriously ask that question. 

Btw I picture our little buddy who’s currently on timeout watching this Jack Hughes breakout about like this…

image.gif.28e4433e94910e5807e6382cebc5d744.gif

Who was it again? Just so i can appreciate not seeing him post

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

devils didn’t get any bounces that colorado didn’t get. they dominated the hockey game from drop to horn and deserved a regulation win. 

The Avs might have been a little tired too (played the Isles the night before and THAT game got more interesting than the Avs would've liked), but that's also NHL hockey...sometimes you're the better-rested team, something you're the team facing the better-rested team.  I love that the Devils found a way to see it all the way through, as opposed to making it interesting, only to lose...if they had scored those two fluky goals and lost 4-2 or something like that, game would have had a much worse feel, but they kept at it and found a way.  I also love that it feels like the "Can't ever finish their chances" Devils appear to be dying off before our very eyes...and soon those who can't keep up or adapt (here's looking at you, Johnsson and Tatar) will be shown the door.  

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

devils didn’t get any bounces that colorado didn’t get. they dominated the hockey game from drop to horn and deserved a regulation win. 

I missed the first, did we dominate the first and come out down 2-0?

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Avs might have been a little tired too (played the Isles the night before and THAT game got more interesting than the Avs would've liked), but that's also NHL hockey...sometimes you're the better-rested team, something you're the team facing the better-rested team.  I love that the Devils found a way to see it all the way through, as opposed to making it interesting, only to lose...if they had scored those two fluky goals and lost 4-2 or something like that, game would have had a much worse feel, but they kept at it and found a way.  I also love that it feels like the "Can't ever finish their chances" Devils appear to be dying off before our very eyes...and soon those who can't keep up or adapt (here's looking at you, Johnsson and Tatar) will be shown the door.  

Colorado has no problem winning in back to backs. They were 6-0-1 before last night.

• Like 2