Jump to content

GDT: Colorado @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The Hughes and Bratt combo is a point production machine these days. Man if those 2 and Holtz click it could be a beautiful thing. Daws is gonna make it impossible to send him back down when Blackwood is back at this rate. He’s been our best goalie (that doesn’t say much) but he’s probably in the NHL at least a year or two early so this is all bonus. 

Unload some dead weight at the deadline, make a few adjustments via free agency or smart trades, and fire most of this coaching staff into the sun and this team is suddenly looking at competing within the next few years. 

Daws is a question mark, but at least he’s young and has the potential to be part of the solution.  Gillies is clearly far from being that in his wildest of dreams…nothing against him, just a fact.  And I agree, think it’s not only good that Daws is getting this time with the big club, but that he’s not getting destroyed out there.  And yeah, like mfitz just said, as soon as Blackwood is healthy enough to play, Gillies is insta-toast.

PK feels like the only sure thing to be moved at the deadline…guess Vesey could be moved as well, if there’s someone Fitz really wants to make room for ASAP.  Not like I’ve made any secret about my feelings re:  Tatar and Johnsson, but I could see them sticking around through the end of the season, just to get by with.  With only one year left on each of their deals next season, you could probably find a taker for one of them (more likely Johnsson).  God knows who would want Tatar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

@MB3

Erika was just talking about our all female radio broadcast team tonight and mentioned our color commentator, and my daughter just exclaimed “did she just call that lady a colored commentator???”

Great minds…

 

that’s amazing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The Hughes and Bratt combo is a point production machine these days. Man if those 2 and Holtz click it could be a beautiful thing. Daws is gonna make it impossible to send him back down when Blackwood is back at this rate. He’s been our best goalie (that doesn’t say much) but he’s probably in the NHL at least a year or two early so this is all bonus. 

Unload some dead weight at the deadline, make a few adjustments via free agency or smart trades, and fire most of this coaching staff into the sun and this team is suddenly looking at competing within the next few years. 

I would put Holtz with Nico.  It would give the Devils 2 lines.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I think we need to remember that everything said about Daws right now was said about Blackwood in the past too

i’m taking a firm “if it happens it happens” approach with goalies for the rest of my life. i bought a schneider jersey right before he was dogsh!t. then i became a kinkaid fanboy right before he was dogsh!t. then i fell in love with blackwood and now he might be dogsh!t? i praised the hell out of the Crawford and Bernier signings and, well, yea.

for a while i was wondering if we were going to have a Favre-to-Rodgers transition from Marty, but it looks more like a Manning-to-Luck-to-Yikes situation. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I think we need to remember that everything said about Daws right now was said about Blackwood in the past too

All I have to say about Daws right now is that at least it feels like the Devils have a chance to win with him in net (especially with all of the goals they’ve been coming up with as of late).  Not the case with Gillies most nights…for the moment, that’s good enough for me.

MB3 nailed it with the Manning-to Luck-to Yikes comparison.  That’s exactly how it’s gone. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You say that like it’s an issue. I imagine soon after Blackwood comes back, Gillies gets released. 

The only issue i see is putting too much pressure on him. It’s arguably part of Blackwoods problem, basically being asked to carry the team. But to me, if Daws can keep playing well, it’s his spot to lose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The only issue i see is putting too much pressure on him. It’s arguably part of Blackwoods problem, basically being asked to carry the team. But to me, if Daws can keep playing well, it’s his spot to lose. 

Being asked to carry the team while not being 100% too. That injury has been bothering him for 2 seasons now

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They may be in better shape there than we think…looks like Mercer’s doing just fine as a winger, Bratt’s exploded, Wood could have a different trajectory if this team continues to improve, Sharangovich might be starting to find some consistency…

Not saying that I don’t go out there and see who’s available.  Just that things feel a little less dire on the wings than they did a couple of months ago.

Bratt and Mercer are definite top 6 wingers. But after that it gets a little dicey. Zacha will likely be gone next year. Sharangovich is a nice player but probably best suited for the third line. I think one more add on the wings  hedges against being thin in that position.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd personally want 

1. Get rid of Subban

2. See a video of Subban receiving the call

3. See a video of Subban boarding the plane and leave

Did he slew foot you in some charity game or something? Talk about show me on the doll where he hurt you… :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i’m taking a firm “if it happens it happens” approach with goalies for the rest of my life. i bought a schneider jersey right before he was dogsh!t. then i became a kinkaid fanboy right before he was dogsh!t. then i fell in love with blackwood and now he might be dogsh!t? i praised the hell out of the Crawford and Bernier signings and, well, yea.

for a while i was wondering if we were going to have a Favre-to-Rodgers transition from Marty, but it looks more like a Manning-to-Luck-to-Yikes situation. 

That’s actually a pretty apt comparison. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

Bratt and Mercer are definite top 6 wingers. But after that it gets a little dicey. Zacha will likely be gone next year. Sharangovich is a nice player but probably best suited for the third line. I think one more add on the wings  hedges against being thin in that position.

I agree that Bratt and Mercer are top 6, but I do think a good 2nd line with Holtz-Nico-Sharangovich will be very productive.  I’m not sure what they should do with Zacha and Boqvist.  The entire team looked great tonight despite the 3 goals.  I just wish they could bring it every night like they did tonight.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Did he slew foot you in some charity game or something? Talk about show me on the doll where he hurt you… :P

The fact that you're asking would suggest that you didn't read my book...

SD-Book.thumb.jpg.c50128c807ba84412c07ccf09520716f.jpg.de01db73667f1f4654f7d4cc8c93be08.jpg

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I agree that Bratt and Mercer are top 6, but I do think a good 2nd line with Holtz-Nico-Sharangovich will be very productive.  I’m not sure what they should do with Zacha and Boqvist.  The entire team looked great tonight despite the 3 goals.  I just wish they could bring it every night like they did tonight.

At least Boqvist tries and he's shown a lot of improvement. Zacha has had motivational issues going back to his draft. All-world talent and size combined with a lazy, aloof attitude. That's him. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

i’m taking a firm “if it happens it happens” approach with goalies for the rest of my life. i bought a schneider jersey right before he was dogsh!t. then i became a kinkaid fanboy right before he was dogsh!t. then i fell in love with blackwood and now he might be dogsh!t? i praised the hell out of the Crawford and Bernier signings and, well, yea.

for a while i was wondering if we were going to have a Favre-to-Rodgers transition from Marty, but it looks more like a Manning-to-Luck-to-Yikes situation. 

Just tweet at Daws about how much he sucks and problem solved lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

At least Boqvist tries and he's shown a lot of improvement. Zacha has had motivational issues going back to his draft. All-world talent and size combined with a lazy, aloof attitude. That's him. 

Can’t disagree with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I’m not sure what they should do with Zacha and Boqvist.

Trade the former and slot the latter in as your 3C. Now - Boqvist still needs to show a little more to really lock that down, but that’s ideally where he ends up. I like him much better in the middle, and Mercer needs to be on the wing in the top 6 anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just rewatched the 2nd and 3rd period.

Jack Hughes will retire as the single best forward to ever wear the sweater. He’s twenty years old… Elias only had 17 games played at 20 years old.

He could’ve had like 9 points tonight. 2 posts? 2 incredible saves by Kuemper. By all accounts he had no puck luck tonight and he still left with 2 assists.

The Devils are building something exceptional here.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s play this for fun. Considering age, contract status, and the rest of the team’s age — are there 5 players in the NHL you’d trade Jack for straight up? Makar, McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon… Who else? I don’t even think those guys are guarantees. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Jack Hughes will retire as the single best forward to ever wear the sweater. 

Retire here or elsewhere? Cause if this ship isn't righted by the time he's a ufa he's definitely outta here. 

Not trying to be a miserable fvck but like you said with the goalies I'm definitely taking it as a wait and see if it happens in terms of them getting back into being a winning franchise again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Let’s play this for fun. Considering age, contract status, and the rest of the team’s age — are there 5 players in the NHL you’d trade Jack for straight up? Makar, McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon… Who else? I don’t even think those guys are guarantees. 

Seider potentially 

Also Bedard

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Retire here or elsewhere? Cause if this ship isn't righted by the time he's a ufa he's definitely outta here. 

Not trying to be a miserable fvck but like you said with the goalies I'm definitely taking it as a wait and see if it happens in terms of them getting back into being a winning franchise again

Considering the dude just signed an eight-year extension which hasn't kicked in yet, that'd require a LOT more losing before he turned UFA.

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Considering the dude just signed an eight-year extension which hasn't kicked in yet, that'd require a LOT more losing before he turned UFA.

Of course, it's just a hypothetical response but I don't think anyone would have guessed we would have gone a full decade with no playoff series win and only 1 playoff appearance so who the hell knows. Want nothing more than them to finally start winning so hope it does get turned around. Just sick of saying maybe next season at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Let’s play this for fun. Considering age, contract status, and the rest of the team’s age — are there 5 players in the NHL you’d trade Jack for straight up? Makar, McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon… Who else? I don’t even think those guys are guarantees. 

Idk, but it’s beyond amazing to even be able to seriously ask that question. 

Btw I picture our little buddy who’s currently on timeout watching this Jack Hughes breakout about like this…

image.gif.28e4433e94910e5807e6382cebc5d744.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.