Jump to content

Who do you put in Expanded Ring of Honor?


Rock
 Share

Recommended Posts

Been discussed, but the obvious guys to me:

Lou

Lemaire, Robinson, and Burns

Brylin, McKay, Rafalski, MacLean, Langs, Holik, Gomez, Terreri, Driver, Madden, Pandolfo, Zajac (sure there's players that I'm forgetting).  Every one except Zajac was a part of at least one Cup; Zajac spent his whole career here (OH WAIT NO HE DIDN'T DERRRRRRR) and played in over 1000 games and was always a good soldier.   

EDIT:  Yep, knew I'd forget a couple:  Lemieux, and Chico (Chico for everything he's contributed both on the ice and through his TV and radio broadcasts, and being awesome with the fans)

Doc too, if broadcasting careers are considered for the Ring of Honor

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Been discussed, but the obvious guys to me:

Lou

Lemaire, Robinson, and Burns

Brylin, McKay, Rafalski, MacLean, Langs, Holik, Gomez, Terreri, Driver, Madden, Pandolfo, Zajac (sure there's players that I'm forgetting).  Every one except Zajac was a part of at least one Cup; Zajac spent his whole career here and played in over 1000 games and was always a good soldier.   

The answer is yes, all of those guys. Problem of having a long history and starting one of these things fresh, instantly a bunch of guys belong in it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

The answer is yes, all of those guys. Problem of having a long history and starting one of these things fresh, instantly a bunch of guys belong in it. 

Yeah at first it almost feels like too much, but then you remember once upon a time, this team did win three Cups in a nine-year window...with lots of guys who were here for a while and played key roles.  So it's "too much" with good reason!  None of those players should get a number raised, but ALL are worthy for the Ring of Honor. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah at first it almost feels like too much, but then you remember once upon a time, this team did win three Cups in a nine-year window...with lots of guys who were here for a while and played key roles.  So it's "too much" with good reason!  None of those players should get a number raised, but ALL are worthy for the Ring of Honor. 

Exactly, well said. Boost ticket sales by doing 2-3 “Ring of Honor” nights a season and in a few years it’ll be fully stocked with most of the no-brainers.

Edited by mfitz804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

“The organization has been working through future plans and details for holding a Ring of Honor night next season, which would fit nicely with the celebration of the club’s 40th anniversary in New Jersey during the 2022-23 season,” a team spokesman told The Athletic.

I'm more curious to see how they do it more than anything else. McMullen has that giant picture on the back of I think it's section 103, wonder if they would keep adding these until they run out of room... 

r168954_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqualit

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly, well said. Boost ticket sales by doing 2-3 “Ring of Honor” nights a season and in a few years it’ll be fully stocked with most of the no-brainers.

Or one night with a couple of inductions, maybe?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

“The organization has been working through future plans and details for holding a Ring of Honor night next season, which would fit nicely with the celebration of the club’s 40th anniversary in New Jersey during the 2022-23 season,” a team spokesman told The Athletic.

I'm more curious to see how they do it more than anything else. McMullen has that giant picture on the back of I think it's section 103, wonder if they would keep adding these until they run out of room... 

r168954_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqualit

My first reaction to seeing that was that they would run out of room. That space could probably fit 4 smaller ROA signs and still look nice, but definitely two. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

“The organization has been working through future plans and details for holding a Ring of Honor night next season, which would fit nicely with the celebration of the club’s 40th anniversary in New Jersey during the 2022-23 season,” a team spokesman told The Athletic.

I'm more curious to see how they do it more than anything else. McMullen has that giant picture on the back of I think it's section 103, wonder if they would keep adding these until they run out of room... 

r168954_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqualit

They could probably cut that down by a 1/3. Didn't the Yankees "edit"(make smaller) Steinbrenner's portrait in Center Field? The Devils could put multiple names on a panel.  Most rings of honor that I've seen are just the name and number(maybe years played).  Montreal has a plaza outside the arena with all their honored numbers.

Edited by Rock
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MB3 said:

Terreri? Like Chris Terreri? Like fewer than 300 games, never more than 54 in a single season with the Devils, backup goalie Chris Terreri?!? Cory Schneider had a monumentally better Devils career than Terreri and he doesn't belong anywhere near a ring of honor.

It has to be more special than "played a few hundred games, let's honor them."

The immediate next tier of players, in the "not quite jersey retirement" tier:

  1. Sergei Brylin
  2. Claude Lemieux
  3. Doc Emerick

As soon as you say guys like Gomez and McKay and Rafalski, you may as well just induct everyone. 

 

Terreri holds a special place in the hearts of early Devils fans because he was kind of around for the start of us not sucking ass every season. Not that it was him that was the reason, but he was the guy. 

Played parts of 12 seasons, was a coach, etc. Two Stanley Cups? (95 and 00 I think). 

Should he be the first guy in? No. Am I offended by the idea? Definitely not. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

At least I'm not the only crazy one around here when everyone responds funny to when I say Brodeur played his whole career here.

LMAO derrrrrr totally blanked out on Zajac's Islander days heh heh heh!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

Claude is a no brainer. Conn smythe in 95 for first cup. He was ridiculous that spring. 

He was very important in 2000 as well. I still maintain the Devils don’t get punked the way they did between ‘96-‘99 if Pep stuck around. 

Edited by MadDog2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Terreri? Like Chris Terreri? Like fewer than 300 games, never more than 54 in a single season with the Devils, backup goalie Chris Terreri?!? Cory Schneider had a monumentally better Devils career than Terreri and he doesn't belong anywhere near a ring of honor.

It has to be more special than "played a few hundred games, let's honor them."

The immediate next tier of guys, in the "not quite jersey retirement" tier:

  1. Sergei Brylin
  2. Claude Lemieux
  3. Doc Emerick
  4. Jacques Lemaire (is he already inducted?)

As soon as you say guys like Gomez and McKay and Rafalski, you may as well just induct everyone. 

 

You're missing the point of a Ring of Honor.  It's OK to be a little less restrictive when it comes to Ring Of Honor guys...like I said, most of the guys are memorable players from the Devils' glory days, who all contributed to Cup wins.  I don't consider any of the names off my list "cheap" names...like mfitz and I noted, there's a lot of names because there's a lot of history there that hasn't been properly acknowledged yet...passage of time doesn't mean they're now less worthy.   

Gomer was here for 606 GP and wasn't far away from 500 points.  Was also here for two Cups.    

McKay roughly played as many games as Brylin did and put up about the same amount of points.  McKay to me was one of the ultimate overachievers later in his career (check out his 1997-98 through 2000-01 seasons...did anyone think he'd ever provide anything close to those numbers offensively), and was a key part of one of the most memorable lines in Devils history (also scored 8 goals during that 1995 Cup run).  He was here for 11 seasons...I think he's deserving.

Rafalski was here for 7 full seasons and and was one Game 7 away from being part of 3 Cup winners...at any rate, the guy was hardly a passenger...he was a terrific offensive defenseman, one of the best in Devils' history.

Terreri I honestly don't expect you to get...he was really before your time.  He was a very important part of the transitional years...with Burke falling flat on his face after the big 1988 run, Terreri was the one who kept outplaying Burke, and who eventually forced the Devils' hands into making him the #1 goalie...he was at least solid enough to help the Devils get into the playoffs each year after 1988-89, as the Devils were building and improving (this doesn't happen with Burke).  Terreri played well enough in 1993-94 to allow the Devils to break in Brodeur on a rotating basis, as Marty got comfortable playing in the NHL.  When Marty needed a breather in the 1993-94 playoffs (after struggling against Boston in Games 1 and 2), Terreri helped the Devils win Games 3 and 4 in Boston (starting both games), and did the same in Game 6 (the series clincher)...without his contributions, that Devils team doesn't reach the Eastern Conference Final and come within one game of getting to the Stanley Cup (1993-94 was a huge building-block season).  As is the case with guys like Brylin, it's not fully about numbers.     

 

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Been discussed, but the obvious guys to me:

Lou

Lemaire, Robinson, and Burns

Brylin, McKay, Rafalski, MacLean, Langs, Holik, Gomez, Terreri, Driver, Madden, Pandolfo, Zajac (sure there's players that I'm forgetting).  Every one except Zajac was a part of at least one Cup; Zajac spent his whole career here (OH WAIT NO HE DIDN'T DERRRRRRR) and played in over 1000 games and was always a good soldier.   

EDIT:  Yep, knew I'd forget a couple:  Lemieux, and Chico (Chico for everything he's contributed both on the ice and through his TV and radio broadcasts, and being awesome with the fans)

Doc too, if broadcasting careers are considered for the Ring of Honor

Is there a list of names already inducted?  Sorry if it’s a silly question, but I’ve been living out of state for the past 15 years and have made only 4 trips to the Rock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Is there a list of names already inducted?  Sorry if it’s a silly question, but I’ve been living out of state for the past 15 years and have made only 4 trips to the Rock.

Only McMullen so far...then the whole thing just kinda stopped cold.  Looks like it's firing back up again.

I've gotta think Lou is next, then Lemaire.  Then you could probably induct some players, then Robinson, then some more players, then Burns, and ending with Zajac.  Not sure exactly what order the Devils will go in.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, what did he actually play like 12 minutes?

He was clicking with Sharangovich and Kuokkanen some, IIRC...had 14 points in his final 16 Devils games.  Then managed 2 goals and 2 assists in 27 games as an Islander (was healthy-scratched some games too).  Yeah his Islander days were extremely forgettable...I completely forgot them, heh heh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You're missing the point of a Ring of Honor.  It's OK to be a little less restrictive when it comes to Ring Of Honor guys...like I said, most of the guys are memorable players from the Devils' glory days, who all contributed to Cup wins.  I don't consider any of the names off my list "cheap" names...like mfitz and I noted, there's a lot of names because there's a lot of history there that hasn't been properly acknowledged yet...passage of time doesn't mean they're now less worthy.   

Gomer was here for 606 GP and wasn't far away from 500 points.  Was also here for two Cups.    

McKay roughly played as many games as Brylin did and put up about the same amount of points.  McKay to me was one of the ultimate overachievers later in his career (check out his 1997-98 through 2000-01 seasons...did anyone think he'd ever provide anything close to those numbers offensively), and was a key part of one of the most memorable lines in Devils history (also scored 8 goals during that 1995 Cup run).  He was here for 11 seasons...I think he's deserving.

Rafalski was here for 7 full seasons and and was one Game 7 away from being part of 3 Cup winners...at any rate, the guy was hardly a passenger...he was a terrific offensive defenseman, one of the best in Devils' history.

Terreri I honestly don't expect you to get...he was really before your time.  He was a very important part of the transitional years...with Burke falling flat on his face after the big 1988 run, Terreri was the one who kept outplaying Burke, and who eventually forced the Devils' hands into making him the #1 goalie...he was at least solid enough to help the Devils get into the playoffs each year after 1988-89, as the Devils were building and improving (this doesn't happen with Burke).  Terreri played well enough in 1993-94 to allow the Devils to break in Brodeur on a rotating basis, as Marty got comfortable playing in the NHL.  When Marty needed a breather in the 1993-94 playoffs (after struggling against Boston in Games 1 and 2), Terreri helped the Devils win Games 3 and 4 in Boston (starting both games), and did the same in Game 6 (the series clincher)...without his contributions, that Devils team doesn't reach the Eastern Conference Final and come within one game of getting to the Stanley Cup (1993-94 was a huge building-block season).  As is the case with guys like Brylin, it's not fully about numbers.     

 

 

Nailed it. Great post CR.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Only McMullen so far...then the whole thing just kinda stopped cold.  Looks like it's firing back up again.

I've gotta think Lou is next, then Lemaire.  Then you could probably induct some players, then Robinson, then some more players, then Burns, and ending with Zajac.  Not sure exactly what order the Devils will go in.  

Lou HAS to be next. No new inductees until Lou gets in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.