Who do you put in Expanded Ring of Honor?

Rock

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Based on this and CR's reply I guess he's one of those "had to be there" guys. The first Devils season I really remember following was 1998, and by then Terreri was just "that backup goalie with the weird mask" to me. When CR brought him up I looked at his stats, expecting a "holy sh!t he was a stud!" and what I saw instead was a mediocre Devils career markedly worse than Schneider. The Devils "turning the ship around" (while he was playing 37 games a season for them?) probably has more to do with a good system and a defense that was a few years away from being considered one of the greatest of all time. 

He's definitely a "had to be there guy".  He was the first #1 in Devils history who was actually both pretty consistent and pretty good (poor Chico had no chance), especially for that time period and in that era.

He played in 55, 54, 48 and 44 games from 1990-91 through 1993-94...he played more than you think, in those key transitional years, and DM84 is right, he was probably a little underrated.  And Burke not living up to his initial promise really could have hurt those transitional teams, had Terreri not been (for that time) solid.

But yeah, I get why if you didn't see him play and just looked at his numbers (without taking into account the era he played in), sure, I could see how his importance is lost.   

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, devlman said:

Sarge has to be the first one in. The amount of disrespect this guy gets is wrong. 

Who's disrespecting him?  Every fan seems to love the guy...he'll always be a favorite, especially among those who remember his playing days.  But realistically, he is the guy who happened to be there for three Cups.  Doesn't mean that he shouldn't get his Ring of Honor day (he 100% should), but it's not like he was nearly as instrumental in those Cup wins as the other 3-timers.  No disrespect, just a simple fact.    

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Who's disrespecting him?  Every fan seems to love the guy...he'll always be a favorite, especially among those who remember his playing days.  But realistically, he is the guy who happened to be there for three Cups.  Doesn't mean that he shouldn't get his Ring of Honor day (he 100% should), but it's not like he was nearly as instrumental in those Cup wins as the other 3-timers.  No disrespect, just a simple fact.    

Correct, I don’t think anyone is arguing he doesn’t get in. But it’s not based solely on his on-ice contributions. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The fans love him. I don’t agree that he just happened to be there for the cup wins. That’s disrespect. He was a key depth player who is one of only four players to help lead this franchise to 3 cups. The organization rarely seems to include him in any references to the cup wins. The media often forgets to mention him as one of the core threads to all three cups. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

The fans love him. I don’t agree that he just happened to be there for the cup wins. That’s disrespect. He was a key depth player who is one of only four players to help lead this franchise to 3 cups. The organization rarely seems to include him in any references to the cup wins. The media often forgets to mention him as one of the core threads to all three cups. 

I think that’s why he’s not mentioned. He was a depth player, so he’s going to be immediately overshadowed by Stevens, Brodeur, and Neids (all hall of famers) and Daneyko who was a lifetime Devil from the bad days to the champion days. I think Brylin is the exact type of guy for a Ring of Honor. He’s not gonna get a number retirement but fans of the team know he was important 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct, I don’t think anyone is arguing he doesn’t get in. But it’s not based solely on his on-ice contributions. 

Part of it is because he's always been this extremely likable Howdy Doody (Howdov Doodov?)-looking dude who's always kinda been this unsung hero type...an easy guy for fans to embrace.  I don't think I've ever heard a fan complain about Brylin...he just showed up and did his thing.  

A good chunk of his legacy the "Three Cups" mystique, which has led him to be remembered incredibly fondly by many Devils fans...probably a little bit more than he should be, and I hate to say that, because I don't ever want to sound like I'm knocking him in the slightest.    

And of course he's been in the organization beyond his playing days.

He's had some highlight moments...a goal in Game 4 of the 1995 SCF, a couple more in the 2000 SCF (including that crazy one in Game 1).  He was definitely "one of us, a Devil" in every way.  

13 minutes ago, devlman said:

Don't get wrong, I friggin' love Sarge, but I don't see a guy who really "led"...other guys were doing that.  He most definitely had his place here and he'll be just as remembered by those who saw him play as other Ring Of Honor players, but I just don't want to make more out of it (and him) than there really was.  It is VERY cool that he was able to play long enough to be on all three Cup teams...that's a solid feat in itself.

3 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

I love the part about rafalski. Not sure why he was let to go to Detroit. Just another head scratcher. 

He's from Dearborn...he basically went home.  Devils could've explored trading him but that team finished with well over 100 points and took the Atlantic...still also had an in-his-prime Marty and some good talent.  Yeah sucked to lose him, no doubt.

1 minute ago, eaglejelly said:

Trent Hunter!

Esa Tikkanen

Ken Klee

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's from Dearborn...he basically went home.  Devils could've explored trading him but that team finished with well over 100 points and took the Atlantic...still also had an in-his-prime Marty and some good talent.  Yeah sucked to lose him, no doubt.

Esa Tikkanen

Ken Klee

Klee-Fense!

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

There is a kind of intangible element that goes into the consideration. Like putting Sergei Brylin in. The guy was basically a passenger on 3 Stanley Cup teams that had one slightly above average season. If you were going by stats, no way on Earth does he belong in.

Woah…. A PASSENGER? No. I’m sorry, that is a total lack of respect for Sarge’s contributions. He may not have been the MVP of those teams, but he wasn’t a passenger. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Woah…. A PASSENGER? No. I’m sorry, that is a total lack of respect for Sarge’s contributions. He may not have been the MVP of those teams, but he wasn’t a passenger. 

His contributions are often overblown, in my opinion.  

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Howdov Doodov

And now I can never look at him with a straight face again. 

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't get wrong, I friggin' love Sarge, but I don't see a guy who really "led"...other guys were doing that.  He most definitely had his place here and he'll be just as remembered by those who saw him play as other Ring Of Honor players, but I just don't want to make more out of it (and him) than there really was.  It is VERY cool that he was able to play long enough to be on all three Cup teams...that's a solid feat in itself.

He should be a ring of honor guy for sure. Not saying there should be a statue up outside the rock, but for such a great loyal foot soldier (the guy is still an assistant coach for our minor league club after so many years), I hope he’s mentioned more by the organization when talking about the past success.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And now I can never look at him with a straight face again. 

How quickly we forget the massive penalty kills, the clutch goals, the excellent defensive zone work. Cups don’t happen without KEY depth guys, and he was one of them.

Edit: I shouldn’t use the word ‘quickly’ as it’s been 20 years now.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You are entitled to that opinion…. But we’re gonna have to agree to disagree. Sarge was important to those teams. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

How quickly we forget the massive penalty kills, the clutch goals, the excellent defensive zone work. Cups don’t happen without KEY depth guys, and he was one of them.

E2F12D3F-6729-4910-9710-62B7B8E2B40B.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You are entitled to that opinion…. But we’re gonna have to agree to disagree. Sarge was important to those teams. 

I have zero issue agreeing to disagree. Hey look, nobody had to call anyone an idiot either!

14 minutes ago, devlman said:

He certainly was. One of many.

• Like 1

I’m a little surprised some think it should be quite as expansive as I’m seeing suggested. RoH should be reserved for truly special players, imo. Not Jay Pandolfo types (no offense to Pandolofo). I mean, where do you stop at that point? If you put in a guy like that, then you should be putting in a Colin White - 743 GP, 2 Stanley Cups, alternate captain for several years, etc. 

Idk, I have a bunch of “non-rafters” Devils players that are personal favorites (Madden, White, Gio, etc), but I’m not sure any of them really need to be included in the RoH tbh. 

23 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m a little surprised some think it should be quite as expansive as I’m seeing suggested. RoH should be reserved for truly special players, imo. Not Jay Pandolfo types (no offense to Pandolofo). I mean, where do you stop at that point? If you put in a guy like that, then you should be putting in a Colin White - 743 GP, 2 Stanley Cups, alternate captain for several years, etc. 

Idk, I have a bunch of “non-rafters” Devils players that are personal favorites (Madden, White, Gio, etc), but I’m not sure any of them really need to be included in the RoH tbh. 

I definitely wouldn’t be shocked if everyone on my list doesn’t get in.  

35 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Colin White is a good example, he was here a long time and remains active with the team. I’m not sure you leave a guy like that out.

They should ditch the Grammy museum(does this place actually make any money?) and make that a ring of honor room, clips of the retired number players plus the ring of honor name and face plaques on the wall with clips on TVs of their big moments too. Could be jerseys and other items in there too. 

Charge $1 minimum admission or pay more if you wish and all of that goes to whatever charity of the month that they are sponsoring. 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

They should ditch the Grammy museum(does this place actually make any money?) and make that a ring of honor room, clips of the retired number players plus the ring of honor name and face plaques on the wall with clips on TVs of their big moments too. Could be jerseys and other items in there too. 

Charge $1 minimum admission or pay more if you wish and all of that goes to whatever charity of the month that they are sponsoring. 

I’d pay significantly more than $1 to visit a Devils museum. Definitely a great idea. 

• Like 1