GDT: Devils @ Calgary 10:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s pretty unfair to the rest of the team to keep giving them virtually no chance to compete year after year. Gotta stop with Crawford, Bernier type moves, and get someone reliable in there. Not saying it will be easy, but the goaltending (and coaching) situation could end up costing him his job. 

No it won't.  You're forgetting who our owners are. 

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

If Fitz brings back all three of these piss poor coaches again, well....I'll find something else to watch next year other than Devils hockey. 

I don’t believe you. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That 4 minutes powerplay was the equivalent of having a house party and managing to get the hottest girl at the party to follow you to your room.

And all you do is show her your collection of dolphin stickers

You could at least show her your movie props collection lol

At the very least, this season was about building a competitive culture. Fitzgerald has absolutely failed in this area. He couldn’t find ONE goalie better than Gillies and a 20 year old? Must be so dejecting for Jack and Nico…not to mention to the fans, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, devlman said:

At the very least, this season was about building a competitive culture. Fitzgerald has absolutely failed in this area. He couldn’t find ONE goalie better than Gillies and a 20 year old? Must be so dejecting for Jack and Nico…not to mention to the fans, too.

It really does suck when your 1A AND your 1B go down with injuries, and are both under contract the following season.  The idea is that they come back healthy (the solution being from within) and that you don’t give up any valuable assets on a temporary replacement who may not be all that good himself.  I’ve harped on the goalie situation at times too, but the fact is coughing up an asset on a decent goalie wasn’t getting the Devils into the playoffs this year…they just give up way too many prime scoring chances.  They’re currently 12 games under NHL-.500…a pretty good goalie would make them what, maybe 6 games or so under NHL-.500?

The real question at this point is, does Fitz stake next season on some combo of Blackwood/Bernier/Daws?  That’s three question marks.  Even with the two rough starts, Daws still has a .910 save% over his last 10 starts…maybe these bad games were a case of him finally wearing down, and needing some rest.  I still want to see him get as many games as he’s physically able to play, unless Blackwood comes back…then I’d like to see them both play.

It feels like everyone’s jumping on Daws now and in his case, I do feel like it’s unfair…the Devils (mostly out of necessity, couple with his having been hot for a bit) rolled with him for as long as they could, but now it’s clear that they’re going to have to manage his workload to try to avoid him wearing down.  Yeah, that will mean Gillies will start more than we’d ever want him to, but Daws does have a chance here…might as well give him the best possible chance to begin to try to prove himself AND be effective.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It really does suck when your 1A AND your 1B go down with injuries, and are both under contract the following season.  The idea is that they come back healthy (the solution being from within) and that you don’t give up any valuable assets on a temporary replacement who may not be all that good himself.  I’ve harped on the goalie situation at times too, but the fact is coughing up an asset on a decent goalie wasn’t getting the Devils into the playoffs this year…they just give up way too many prime scoring chances.  They’re currently 12 games under NHL-.500…a pretty good goalie would make them what, maybe 6 games or so under NHL-.500?

The real question at this point is, does Fitz stake next season on some combo of Blackwood/Bernier/Daws?  That’s three question marks.  Even with the two rough starts, Daws still has a .910 save% over his last 10 starts…maybe these bad games were a case of him finally wearing down, and needing some rest.  I still want to see him get as many games as he’s physically able to play, unless Blackwood comes back…then I’d like to see them both play.

It feels like everyone’s jumping on Daws now and in his case, I do feel like it’s unfair…the Devils (mostly out of necessity, couple with his having been hot for a bit) rolled with him for as long as they could, but now it’s clear that they’re going to have to manage his workload to try to avoid him wearing down.  Yeah, that will mean Gillies will start more than we’d ever want him to, but Daws does have a chance here…might as well give him the best possible chance to begin to try to prove himself AND be effective.

Bernier will be coming off of hip surgery which is often the kiss of death to goalies.  Blackwood is coming off of heel surgery that has cost him significant time this season along with he has been on a downward trajectory since early last season.  Daws is a rookie who has less than 20 NHL games to his credit.  To say those are three question marks is putting it lightly.

I was actually listening to the Devils radio broadcast of the game last night.  Chico was really giving it to Daws, especially on goals 3 and 4.  He was really going after him for what seems like basic fundamentals to goaltending.  He even said something to the effect that if a puck goes past you, that happens.  When three pucks go through you, then that's a big problem.

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The same ones that fired Ray Shero the last time I checked…

It feels more and more like Fitz is just Shero 2.0.

I really don't know what kind of identity or culture Fitz is trying to grow here in NJ.  Right now it doesn't feel like winning is all that important though which is very concerning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bernier will be coming off of hip surgery which is often the kiss of death to goalies.  Blackwood is coming off of heel surgery that has cost him significant time this season along with he has been on a downward trajectory since early last season.  Daws is a rookie who has less than 20 NHL games to his credit.  To say those are three question marks is putting it lightly.

I was actually listening to the Devils radio broadcast of the game last night.  Chico was really giving it to Daws, especially on goals 3 and 4.  He was really going after him for what seems like basic fundamentals to goaltending.  He even said something to the effect that if a puck goes past you, that happens.  When three pucks go through you, then that's a big problem.

And the above is why I asked the big question, about staking next season on those three.  Fitz's time here will be defined by what he does with the coaches and the goalies (currently the two issues most in need of addressing)...if he goes into next season doubling down on all of them, that can definitely blow up in his face.  Like I've said previously, when healthy, Jack and Nico are now in their prime years, as far as I'm concerned.  No more punting away seasons or thinking "Next year's the year".  Dougie's not old by not getting any younger either.  This team needs to at least contend for a playoff berth well into March next season.  If Fitz think a healthy Blackwood can regain the form that at least had him looking like a possible long-term solution, OK...but you better be fvcking right Fitz.  

And let's face it, the reason the Devils win at all right now (7-8-0 in their last 15) is strictly due to having some talent, particularly on offense (Jack, Bratt, Nico, Dawson, Hamilton, and a few others).  The coaching staff has had very little to do with anything positive, really...it feels like they're getting about the minimum out of this team...not that a top staff would necessarily have this team fully in the playoff hunt, but there's too much talent to be 12 games under NHL-.500.    

We'll find out more about Daws in the weeks to come...21 games left in the season, and he figures to get at least 60-70% of those games by pure default.  We'll see if he was just tired or if he indeed has issues with fundamentals that need correcting.  I didn't get too up when he was hot (just wanted to enjoy a kid on a surprise run), and I'm not going to get too down on him just yet.   

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It feels more and more like Fitz is just Shero 2.0.

I really don't know what kind of identity or culture Fitz is trying to grow here in NJ.  Right now it doesn't feel like winning is all that important though which is very concerning.

It definitely seems that way with the whole being overly loyal to Nas situation. It really is crazy he was ever brought back under a brand new head coach. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It definitely seems that way with the whole being overly loyal to Nas situation. It really is crazy he was ever brought back under a brand new head coach. 

If this staff comes back whole next year, then I'm pretty much done with Fitz...and that kinda sucks, because I think he's capable from a personnel standpoint.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And the above is why I asked the big question, about staking next season on those three.  Fitz's time here will be defined by what he does with the coaches and the goalies (currently the two issues most in need of addressing)...if he goes into next season doubling down on all of them, that can definitely blow up in his face.  Like I've said previously, when healthy, Jack and Nico are now in their prime years, as far as I'm concerned.  No more punting away seasons or thinking "Next year's the year".  Dougie's not old by not getting any younger either.  This team needs to at least contend for a playoff berth well into March next season.  If Fitz think a healthy Blackwood can regain the form that at least had him looking like a possible long-term solution, OK...but you better be fvcking right Fitz.  

And let's face it, the reason the Devils win at all right now (7-8-0 in their last 15) is strictly due to having some talent, particularly on offense (Jack, Bratt, Nico, Dawson, Hamilton, and a few others).  The coaching staff has had very little to do with anything positive, really...it feels like they're getting about the minimum out of this team...not that a top staff would necessarily have this team fully in the playoff hunt, but there's too much talent to be 12 games under NHL-.500.    

We'll find out more about Daws in the weeks to come...21 games left in the season, and he figures to get at least 60-70% of those games by pure default.  We'll see if he was just tired or if he indeed has issues with fundamentals that need correcting.  I didn't get too up when he was hot (just wanted to enjoy a kid on a surprise run), and I'm not going to get too down on him just yet.   

A part of me still wonders if Fitz is indeed being handcuffed by ownership.  That would at least explain the current state of the coaches.  I can see the owners not wanting to pay a "relieved of duties" Ruff and the replacement coach as well as having assistant coaches who are willing to work for on the cheap (relatively).  These owners are all about ROI and I am talking about profit and not wins/losses.  I can absolutely see them spend up nearly to the cap ceiling only to cheap out with pretty much every else around the team (coaching, conditioning team, scouting, etc).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

This is what you’ve been preaching for years but in back to back off seasons they added $9m/y commitments with Subban and Hamilton. They also made major financial commitments to Nico and to Jack way earlier than they needed to.

There are a zillion things about this team worth complaining over, “the evil owners don’t spend any money” isn’t one of them. 

Wait, PK has only been here 2 years????

EDIT: No, there was a season in between adding those two guys. 

Edited by mfitz804

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

This is what you’ve been preaching for years but in back to back off seasons they added $9m/y commitments with Subban and Hamilton. They also made major financial commitments to Nico and to Jack way earlier than they needed to.

There are a zillion things about this team worth complaining over, “the evil owners don’t spend any money” isn’t one of them. 

That is why I mentioned in my last sentence where I said I can see them spending near to the cap ceiling on the players but then cheap out on everything else surrounding the team.

You gotta keep guys like Hamilton, Hughes and Hischier as those names brings fans into the seats.  Coaches rarely do if ever.  That's why they cheaped out and got Ruff instead of Laviolette and why we are stuck with Teflon Don Nass.