GDT: Devils @ Calgary 10:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

You’re right. If I can’t understand what the hell you’re even arguing then it must mean that my whole point was that I want to win a few extra games, despite me directly saying otherwise. It’s the only logical conclusion.

Well that's precisely what im saying.  YOU want to win a few extra games. That's it. But you're making up some kumbaya mumbo jumbo statement that it's necessary for the actual team to win a few extra games like it would actually make a difference in the big picture.

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

The defensive side of things certainly needs improvement. But 5v5 we’ve been a decent NHL team. It’s clear that our primary issues are mainly in goal and special teams. 

With our ability to score goals, I maintain that even a slightly below average goalie would allow us to play tighter games. Doesn’t really move the needle with wins but makes a huge difference with having us play closer games, which is important when it comes to helping this team believe and learn to play tight contests.

They have been been playing tighter games lately (generally)...that's why I pointed out the +4 goal differential over their last 15, which is pretty good considering that the Devils are 7-8.

Let's look at the 8 losses (with who was in goal for NJ):

Pittsburgh 4-2 (3-2 before an ENG - Gillies)

Tampa Bay 6-3 (Gilles)

Chicago 8-5 (6-5 before 2 ENG - Gillies)

Columbus 4-3 (Daws)

Rangers 3-1 (Daws)

Jets 2-1 (Daws)

Canucks 6-3 (Daws gives up 4, Gillies gives up 2 more)

Flames 6-3 (5-3 before ENG, Daws gives up 4, Gillies gives up another)

The sheer ugliness of some of these losses makes those games feel less competitive, but they're not really getting blown out as badly (or as often) as you would think.  

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's precisely what im saying.  YOU want to win a few extra games. That's it. But you're making up some kumbaya mumbo jumbo statement that it's necessary for the actual team to win a few extra games like it would actually make a difference in the big picture.

But that’s precisely what I’m NOT saying. Like you do with other arguments you literally make up, you have determined that I have said and meant the exact opposite. Why? Who the hell knows. Maybe some insecurity you have towards your perception of fans? Either way I’m not playing the game with you. Make up sh!t as you’d like. Carry on.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They have been been playing tighter games lately (generally)...that's why I pointed out the +4 goal differential over their last 15, which is pretty good considering that the Devils are 7-8.

Let's look at the 8 losses (with who was in goal for NJ):

Pittsburgh 4-2 (3-2 before an ENG - Gillies)

Tampa Bay 6-3 (Gilles)

Chicago 8-5 (6-5 before 2 ENG - Gillies)

Columbus 4-3 (Daws)

Rangers 3-1 (Daws)

Jets 2-1 (Daws)

Canucks 6-3 (Daws gives up 4, Gillies gives up 2 more)

Flames 6-3 (5-3 before ENG, Daws gives up 4, Gillies gives up another)

The sheer ugliness of some of these losses makes those games feel less competitive, but they're not really getting blown out as badly (or as often) as you would think.  

Agreed. Lately it’s been better because Daws has given them a good stretch. But it’s unfair to expect Daws to carry such a stretch game after game at his age. Why didn’t Fitz have a ‘capable’ (read: any scrub better than Gillies) third goalie? 

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

But that’s precisely what I’m NOT saying. Like you do with other arguments you literally make up, you have determined that I have said and meant the exact opposite. Why? Who the hell knows. Maybe some insecurity you have towards your perception of fans? Either way I’m not playing the game with you. Make up sh!t as you’d like. Carry on.

At the very least, this season was about building a competitive culture. Fitzgerald has absolutely failed in this area. He couldn’t find ONE goalie better than Gillies and a 20 year old? Must be so dejecting for Jack and Nico…not to mention to the fans, too.

yeah sure lol

Like finding a goalie mid season is easy. Look around the league, MANY teams are in the same boat and they have way more weighting on their success than we are this season, yet... no movement almost. It's almost like it's very complicated to do or something. Especially when you have 2 goalies already that just can't play, making it even more tricky to make a move to get another one

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah sure lol

Like finding a goalie mid season is easy. Look around the league, MANY teams are in the same boat and they have way more weighting on their success than we are this season, yet... no movement almost. It's almost like it's very complicated to do or something. Especially when you have 2 goalies already that just can't play, making it even more tricky to make a move to get another one

I guess just our luck we happened to get the worst third goalie in the entire league then. Thats still on Fitz, esp knowing Bernier and Blackwood’s history.

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

I guess just our luck we happened to get the worst third goalie in the entire league then. Thats still on Fitz, esp knowing Bernier and Blackwood’s history.

He had Wedge (who has also been terrible) as the 3rd string plan and then promptly put him on waivers so we could protect GEERTSON or however you spell it of all people. I’ll never understand Fitz’ handling of the goaltending this season. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Agreed. Lately it’s been better because Daws has given them a good stretch. But it’s unfair to expect Daws to carry such a stretch game after game at his age. Why didn’t Fitz have a ‘capable’ (read: any scrub better than Gillies) third goalie? 

Unless you've got a primed-and-ready (or very close to that) kid in your system, it's really friggin' hard to recover from losing your projected top two guys, for extended periods AND at the same time.  Someone who's truly 'capable' is going to have better options than waiting around for a chance, and only getting that shot due to someone else getting hurt.  With the Devils, that "Break Glass In Case Of Emergency Guy" (initially, that was Wedge, then later Gillies) was never going to be a "Step right in and succeed guy"...a guy like that will simply get a chance somewhere to play more, right off the bat, someplace else...with the Devils, it was going to be Blackwood/Bernier getting the playing time with the big club, and in Utica, it was going to be Schmid/Daws.  There wasn't room for anyone else truly worthy.   

I don't think the Devils ever truly wanted to bring up Daws in 2021-22...I think they were trying to let him and Schmid develop solely with the Comets, and then in a couple of years (with both of them still quite young) see if one (or even both) might be ready to break in with the big club; basically, in a year or two, one of them might have been better able to step in if a completely disaster scenario happened again.  Unfortunately that disaster happened this year.  Daws did as well as any "Break Glass" limbo guy would've, considering what there is to choose from when it comes to that crowd.

I'm not saying you have to like it.  It's just the hard cold reality of having to eat a sh!t sandwich.  Sometimes there's just no way to make it taste any better.  Devils might have been able to get by better if just ONE of their goalies had been able to stay healthy.  They lost both.  That's a killer.     

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He had Wedge (who has also been terrible) as the 3rd string plan and then promptly put him on waivers so we could protect GEERTSON or however you spell it of all people. I’ll never understand Fitz’ handling of the goaltending this season. 

Read my post above.  Lose your top two guys, don't have at least one kid close to ready (or doesn't appear to be), things descend into clusterfvck territory very quickly.  This is one case where I'm not sure what Fitz could've done.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Read my post above.  Lose your top two guys, don't have at least one kid close to ready (or doesn't appear to be), things descend into clusterfvck territory very quickly.  This is one case where I'm not sure what Fitz could've done.  

I don’t think Wedge was any good or would have done much, I just can’t understand the logic of putting him on waivers when you have Blackwood just coming back from surgery and Bernier clearly hurting. And letting Gillies (who was in over his head) and Schmid and an injured Blackwood get shelled just felt like punting the season. 

It probably wouldn’t bother me or anyone else as much if it didn’t feel like even mediocre goaltending could have made a pretty big difference this season. At least Daws is getting some real good experience, which is nice. He might be fighting for the back up spot in camp depending how the offseason goes and assuming a healthy Blackwood plays like he has in the past and takes the top spot back. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t think Wedge was any good or would have done much, I just can’t understand the logic of putting him on waivers when you have Blackwood just coming back from surgery and Bernier clearly hurting. And letting Gillies (who was in over his head) and Schmid and an injured Blackwood get shelled just felt like punting the season. 

It probably wouldn’t bother me or anyone else as much if it didn’t feel like even mediocre goaltending could have made a pretty big difference this season. At least Daws is getting some real good experience, which is nice. He might be fighting for the back up spot in camp depending how the offseason goes and assuming a healthy Blackwood plays like he has in the past and takes the top spot back. 

Daws has at least forced himself into the discussion for next season (the more iffy Bernier and/or Blackwood appear to be from a health standpoint, the more of a look Daws will get...of course, there's always the possibility Fitz really does try to pursue an upgrade from outside the organization).  That may not have happened under different circumstances...still won't feel comfortable if the Devils roll into 2022-23 with three question marks, but I also have to see who's available and what it would cost (especially in assets).    

Mediocre goaltending for most of this season maybe gets the Devils to within sniffing distance of NHL-.500.  Just feels like there were too many other problems.

I'd be more concerned about players being affected if they were all checking out mentally/not trying, but I'm not really seeing that.    

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Daws has at least forced himself into the discussion for next season (the more iffy Bernier and/or Blackwood appear to be from a health standpoint, the more of a look Daws will get...of course, there's always the possibility Fitz really does try to pursue an upgrade from outside the organization).  That may not have happened under different circumstances...still won't feel comfortable if the Devils roll into 2022-23 with three question marks, but I also have to see who's available and what it would cost (especially in assets).    

Mediocre goaltending for most of this season maybe gets the Devils to within sniffing distance of NHL-.500.  Just feels like there were too many other problems.

I'd be more concerned about players being affected if they were all checking out mentally/not trying, but I'm not really seeing that.    

Yeah the players definitely seem engaged (for the most part). Some nights the usual suspects can’t be bothered.

I really wonder if Bernier plays again. That’s a hell of an injury for a goalie. Some made it back (Pekka Rinne) and some never did (Schneider). I’d really like to see some of Blackwood in the next few weeks just to see him play healthy a bit. He’s been out a while now and I’m worried there’s another surgery coming. Two goalies coming back from season ending surgery next year is scary. 

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah the players definitely seem engaged (for the most part). Some nights the usual suspects can’t be bothered.

I really wonder if Bernier plays again. That’s a hell of an injury for a goalie. Some made it back (Pekka Rinne) and some never did (Schneider). I’d really like to see some of Blackwood in the next few weeks just to see him play healthy a bit. He’s been out a while now and I’m worried there’s another surgery coming. Two goalies coming back from season ending surgery next year is scary. 

In typical Devils fashion, we have no fvcking clue if Blackwood is about ready to come back of if he has had his foot amputated. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In typical Devils fashion, we have no fvcking clue if Blackwood is about ready to come back of if he has had his foot amputated. 

Well to be fair it's already very very very hard to get a goaltender through a trade. The last thing you want is the other team to know exactly how desperate that you are and cranking the price

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well to be fair it's already very very very hard to get a goaltender through a trade. The last thing you want is the other team to know exactly how desperate that you are and cranking the price

I don’t think that Fitz is even thinking about it, that’s the scary part. I think he is thinking Blackwood/Bernier for next year. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think that Fitz is even thinking about it, that’s the scary part. I think he is thinking Blackwood/Bernier for next year. 

Well i'm not a neurologist. But i'd tend to assume that someone saying this.... would be thinking about it?

“As far as goaltending, we’re going to have to go back to the drawing board again this summer,” Fitzgerald said.

“Mackenzie is getting better, he’ll be back at some point. Bernier will be a full go by the summer. But how do we know what they’re going to be?’’

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Well i'm not a neurologist. But i'd tend to assume that someone saying this.... would be thinking about it?

“As far as goaltending, we’re going to have to go back to the drawing board again this summer,” Fitzgerald said.

“Mackenzie is getting better, he’ll be back at some point. Bernier will be a full go by the summer. But how do we know what they’re going to be?’’

I guess you’re right. Bernier being a “full go” is troubling to me, he followed it up with how do we know, but his thought is that Bernier is almost ready. 

I honestly don’t see him pulling off some big goalie trade. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I guess you’re right. Bernier being a “full go” is troubling to me, he followed it up with how do we know, but his thought is that Bernier is almost ready. 

I’m assuming there’s a few guys on his radar that might not be an arm and a leg. Husso in St Louis for example is about to be a UFA. He’s had a good year and Binnington is already locked down long term. 

Perhaps Anaheim is interested in trading either Stolarz or Dostal. I don’t think that would have to be a huge trade

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The problem is that you just never know what you're gonna get with a goalie, it's such a gamble. We routinely see TOP goalies from one year being traded or signing with another team. Then they completely suck for the rest of their career, or they suck for one year or 2, then they are back a top goalie in the league. Or you see a goalie sucking ass and signing with a new team and suddenly he's one of the best in the league. It's SO all over the place.

So we can either overpay for one on the market this summer like maybe Husso, Kiemper, Vacenek, etc might make it to free agency, and they might consider us.

Or we can trade assets and trade a 4th round pick for a random goalie that will become our starter for the next 10 years, or we can trade Zacha, our first and smith for a guy like Knight, and he becomes the next dipietro. Who fvcking knows. That's why it sucks when you need to find a goalie. 

Before the season, 6 goalies were considered for team canada at the olympics, based on projections...

Price... never played a game this season...  

Blackwood, played injured and struggled....

Bennington has a .903 save % and basically lost his net to Husso in his 2nd NHL season... but he's 26 years old. Daws is like a lifestyle younger than him so who knows

Kuemper has a .923 save % NOW but earlier this season had a .890 sv % earlier in the season

Fleury has a .909 save % and had a .840 sv % earlier this season

Hart... has a .911 save %, not bad... above average at least.

This summer, Carolina traded Nedeljkovic who finished the season with a .932 save % to Detroit... for Bernier and a 3rd round pick. Bernier signed with us.. we all wondered ALL SUMMER what the fvck the Canes were doing, every moves they made looked like a terrible move. Yet everything panned out 

Then Fred Andersen was .895 last season in Toronto, ugly end of the season and signed with the Canes and now he's at .929.. Markstrom was .904 last year, .927 this year.

also we all seem to agree that we,d love to have Georgiev if it wasnt that he was a Ranger... but the guy has a .892 save %... would he be better here?

It's SUCH a mess and a gamble anything you do.

Edited by SterioDesign

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

or we can trade Zacha, our first and smith for a guy like Knight

If Florida were willing to do this I would drive Pavel and Ty down to Florida, and drive Spencer Knight back to NJ. 

I’ll even pay for the tacos at South of the Border, both ways. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If Florida were willing to do this I would drive Pavel and Ty down to Florida, and drive Spencer Knight back to NJ. 

I’ll even pay for the tacos at South of the Border, both ways. 

yeah well thats beside the point lol i was just throwing a random trade out there. If Knight doesnt pan out and turn into the next dipietro, its all for sh!t. Or he could retire with more wins than Brodeur and we have to remove Marty's statue eventually, who fvcking knows

Or next season Kinkaid win the vezina next season, who fvcking knows lol

Edited by SterioDesign

interesting enough Binninghton is apparently available

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ice-breakers-golden-knights-lehner-could-miss-remainder-of-regular-season/

> Jordan Binnington. Yes, sources say Blues GM Doug Armstrong contacted teams perceived to be active on the goaltending market and pitched the 2019 Stanley Cup champion as a potential solution to their problems.

And funny that in that article Blackwood has been mentionned as a goalie available

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah well thats beside the point lol i was just throwing a random trade out there. If Knight doesnt pan out and turn into the next dipietro, its all for sh!t. Or he could retire with more wins than Brodeur and we have to remove Marty's statue eventually, who fvcking knows

Or next season Kinkaid win the vezina next season, who fvcking knows lol

I get that, but I’m very high on Knight, I think he is going to be a top 5 goalie in this league at worst. 

And doesn’t KK need an NHL job before winning the Vezina? 16 games played since leaving us in 2019. That was our starting goalie, or at least 1/2 so, and he couldn’t find a job thereafter. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I get that, but I’m very high on Knight, I think he is going to be a top 5 goalie in this league at worst. 

And doesn’t KK need an NHL job before winning the Vezina? 16 games played since leaving us in 2019. That was our starting goalie, or at least 1/2 so, and he couldn’t find a job thereafter. 

Well exactly. Only goes to show how crazy it is in the goalie world that he will win the vezina next season.